How is it possible NOT to like Rush?

YYZumbi

The Church were/are a great band. An early single of theirs Almost With You had one of the most beautiful acoustic guitar solos ever.The trouble is i have a problem with leader Steve Kilby which turns me off them somewhat.Powderfinger are overated and the last band I was in was named after one of their albums(Oddyssey).Don't get me wrong we have many great bands and musicians (like myself :laughing guy: :codger: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: oops,check ego)down here just no one like Rush. Edited by grasbo
  • Like 1

How?

the world is full of stoopid people

And stupid critics.

"Critics, can't even float, just stand on the shore and wave at the boat." Ben Sidran

The Church were/are a great band. An early single of theirs Almost With You had one of the most beautiful acoustic guitar solos ever.The trouble is i have a problem with leader Steve Kilby which turns me off them somewhat.Powderfinger are overated and the last band I was in was named after one of their albums(Oddyssey).Don't get me wrong we have many great bands and musicians (like myself :laughing guy: :codger: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: oops,check ego)down here just no one like Rush.

Yeah, their early stuff had fantastic acoustic work. MWP is one of those instantly-recognizable guitarists. Just a coincidence that the best album they've done in years is without him. The change of routine seems to have helped, despite the loss of Marty's talents.Will always love Marty. Hope he's doing well in Sweden.

Edited by Rutlefan

These photos are supposedly from the Aug 26th 1974 Agora Ballroom show that was recorded

http://www.rushtrader.com/interviews/rushagora1s.gif

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f162c5556913f40936d8de25fd482565/tumblr_nofa8fN2x21u7p43ao3_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/b2dba05307f62955807e84f3572993c5/tumblr_n7pe31PKVj1rsrplco1_1280.jpg

• Like 6

The Church were/are a great band. An early single of theirs Almost With You had one of the most beautiful acoustic guitar solos ever.The trouble is i have a problem with leader Steve Kilby which turns me off them somewhat.Powderfinger are overated and the last band I was in was named after one of their albums(Oddyssey).Don't get me wrong we have many great bands and musicians (like myself :laughing guy: :codger: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: oops,check ego)down here just no one like Rush.

Still big love down under for Cold Chisel, I hope? :moose:
  • Like 1

These photos are supposedly from the Aug 26th 1974 Agora Ballroom show that was recorded

http://41.media.tumblr.com/f162c5556913f40936d8de25fd482565/tumblr_nofa8fN2x21u7p43ao3_1280.jpg

http://41.media.tumblr.com/b2dba05307f62955807e84f3572993c5/tumblr_n7pe31PKVj1rsrplco1_1280.jpg

You must have some kind of archive.....

• Like 2

I remember those tops with sleeves like that. Nice bell bottoms Geddy has on too. :)

And platform shoes too! :LOL:

Edited by Lorraine

I remember those tops with sleeves like that. Nice bell bottoms Geddy has on too. :)

And platform shoes too! :LOL:

I used to have a pair of bell bottoms that looked just like that, except they were lavender in color.

And my platform shoes weren't white, either.

But anyway...

;)

• Like 1

They arent easily accesible. People into bands like Journey, Boston, The Eagles etc . have a hard time digesting the variety of styles Rush tosses out there.

My brother and nephew are still convinced that Rush only play stuff like YYZ and La Villa..yah know, musical masturbation.

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that a band should just sound like one thing ( Boston, ACDC etc..) Rush mixes it up , so its hard to nail down their sound. If all you heard from them was Xanadu and Hemispheres, yeah, youd think thats all they do..cause a lot of people are close minded

• Like 3

They arent easily accesible. People into bands like Journey, Boston, The Eagles etc . have a hard time digesting the variety of styles Rush tosses out there.

My brother and nephew are still convinced that Rush only play stuff like YYZ and La Villa..yah know, musical masturbation.

I think a lot of people are under the assumption that a band should just sound like one thing ( Boston, ACDC etc..) Rush mixes it up , so its hard to nail down their sound. If all you heard from them was Xanadu and Hemispheres, yeah, youd think thats all they do..cause a lot of people are close minded

Interesting because I grew up on Journey and Boston...the Eagles I didn't appreciate as much until later. Rush did take some time to grow on me but I think that's largely due to the fact that I didn't really dig deep into their music a lot sooner.

• Like 1

They have not made a single bad song or album (do not start fighting about this now please... ofcourse they have made some songs that is masterpieces and other songs that is not great, but at least every song is good and no song is skip-able, at least not for me...)

They are a awesome live band

They are funny guys

and they seem to be very kind guys that care about their fans (Im a bit angry about they not coming to Europe on their R40 Tour, but thats another story...)

And their friendship to each other makes me happy

And they really got the skills and know how to play together.

So how is it possible NOT to like Rush? I have no idea.....

Sadly I know a plethora of females who hate this band.

I've heard that it is good for a woman to eat the plethora after giving birth.
  • Like 1

Interesting because I grew up on Journey and Boston...the Eagles I didn't appreciate as much until later. Rush did take some time to grow on me but I think that's largely due to the fact that I didn't really dig deep into their music a lot sooner.

There was a time in the early 80s when Rush, Boston, and Journey would've been in my top 3. Jethro Tull and Triumph likely would've finished up the top 5. I was a little 4th/5th grader then but hey, older bros and all.

Yo Xanadood! The term "Musical Masterbation" makes me think of Dream Theater. How drab!

Come on! "There's Only One Way To Rock!!!!!!!!" Rock Out With Your Cock Out! Chili Peppers? No! "Mental Masturbation" is better!

Signed,

Sammy Hagar

When I have some time im going to start a thread on my road trip with RUSH.

That said Rush just isnt for every one. Back in the 70's I was attracted oddly to the band by Ged's voice. I thought it was different from the norm while being attractive like woman with nice feet wearing black high heels. I couldnt believe three guys were making such good noise. I listen to just about every music genre from reggae to country music some, my friends are the same but most DON'T like RUSH because of GL's voice. They do agree they're great musicians but they cant get around his voice. One friend who has a voice issue I played The Garden he had to admit that song wasnt that bad he actually liked it.

Rush has certainly made some bad songs or songs I dont like and a few albums I cant seem to get into but each ALWAYS has a gem or two. Snakes is one that comes to mind while on that 24 hour road trip where I played the entire catalog repeatidly. ....... Power Windows shined *auber alas* including above my beloved GUP. Even with some things that needed to factored in which will be revealed later.

They have made bad songs. Friendship? Between Alex and geddy it's real. Between Neil and them I'm just not that sure. If feels more like a convenient business relationship established around the needs of Neil more than the others but that's just my opinion. I don't expect everyone to like rush and I'm glad they are a little underground.

I like all of there songs, and I think they all have a friendship. Not just Alex and Geddy.

IN 1989 the US military blasted Def Leppard to get Dictator Manuel Noriega to surrender in Panama

I am certain either Rush/ Fly By Night or Hemispheres would have done the trick too

U decide? Is that a compliment - I say YES

• Like 1

Rush were never the darlings of the media.Nobody over here (Ozland) had heard of them and they never toured here.I loved Rush because they were my little secret.Whenever there was a party or gathering it was always stuff that was well known.Slip a Rush album on and people would go Whats this Crap?As stated their music is too diverse and some people jus don't like change.

And...............they never did a lurve song until Cold Fire and lots of people are suckers for lurve songs.People don't want hear about whats happening in 2112 or rabbits going underneath your wheels.

Now that the media is now praising the band because they just refused to go away i now have friends and other people coming up to me saying have you heard of Rush?Sigh!Yep been playing their records for 35+ years you Johnny come latelys.

And..........Geddy's an odd looking geek not exactly a pin up boy for the girls.But then neither is Elvis Costello.

Reasons I have been personally told by people for not liking Rush:

They are boring; it's math rock; Neil is a dick; people only go see them because of the drummer ... blah blah blah. But it always comes back to Ged's singing.

To clarify- According to the cygnusx-1 site, those were taken at the Agora in Columbus, OH (different from the more famous one, in Cleveland), on September 25, 1974.

(I was less than 90 miles away from them that night! But unfortunately, I was only 17 months old :blush: ).