How is it possible NOT to like Rush?

YYZumbi

Reading the thread title, I can't decide on the better syntax...

1. "How is it possible NOT to like RUSH?"

2. "How is it possible to NOT like RUSH?"

3. "How is it NOT possible to like RUSH?"

4. "How NOT possible is it to like RUSH?"

Someone help me out with this...

Well the last one wouldn't work, since it's a question of quantity of lack of possibility.

The third one is impossible in itself, i.e. it's impossible to not like Rush, so that one's out the door right there ;)

The other two would work fine :P

Careful with those NOTs, though, damn these booleans.

• Like 3

Well, 3 and 4 don't mean the same as 1 and 2 ;). But re 1 and 2, 2 uses a split infinitive, so that's a ruler across the knuckles.The OP had it right, which is impressive as he is from some frozen non-English-speaking place or other I think.
  • Like 1

Well, 3 and 4 don't mean the same as 1 and 2 ;). But re 1 and 2, 2 uses a split infinitive, so that's a ruler across the knuckles.The OP had it right, which is impressive as he is from some frozen non-English-speaking place or other I think.

You must be one of the 10%
  • Like 1

That Zumbi. So full of surprises. :) He's probably an English professor at one of those posh New England boarding schools disguised as a forlorn Swedish Rush fan for our benefit.

• Like 2

10%? I know of the supposed 1%, but haven't heard of the 10%, Is that the stunning-looking, charming, life-is-great 10%? I'm flattered. If it were true. I'd take the 1% percent too. Edited by Rutlefan

I found our TRF Quote of the Day:

Do you have to be a jerk just because you are a Rush fan? I am a hardcore Rush fan, but I am not a jerk...

http://www.therushfo...s/#entry3255675

Rutle, don't know you missed such an epic thread, but click on the above link and you will understand the 10% comment.

Sorry you couldn't join the rest of us though in the ninety percentile. We could use brains.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

The answer (and seemingly, the word of the week), is pedant.

• Like 4

Iff CA were cleaned up more........i'm certain i'd be singing a different tune.

glad Snakes has opened to you. it's the only modern Rush record i really enjoy. unless you want to include CP in modern Rush.

Mick

Have you tried the vinyl? To my ears on my sound system it is much improved on the vinyl pressing. I can hear the instrument separation. now the sound stage is admittedly not as large as on the earlier albums but is at least there. The CD is too compressed.

I don't think the LP sounds nearly as good as the CD.

Really? Huh. Okay, well I did say to my ears didn't I? ;) I like it better through headphones. I hear more detail that way.

And to be honest, my listening room is much better suited to listening to CDs'. Small room, big stereo.

• Like 2

Iff CA were cleaned up more........i'm certain i'd be singing a different tune.

glad Snakes has opened to you. it's the only modern Rush record i really enjoy. unless you want to include CP in modern Rush.

Mick

Have you tried the vinyl? To my ears on my sound system it is much improved on the vinyl pressing. I can hear the instrument separation. now the sound stage is admittedly not as large as on the earlier albums but is at least there. The CD is too compressed.

I don't think the LP sounds nearly as good as the CD.

Really? Huh. Okay, well I did say to my ears didn't I? ;) I like it better through headphones. I hear more detail that way.

And to be honest, my listening room is much better suited to listening to CDs'. Small room, big stereo.

The answer (and seemingly, the word of the week), is pedant.

:rfl:

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

Here's the thing, I am a Rush diehard.... but I am also a realist. I think of Rush in the context of wine.

Rush is a cabernet sauvignon.... dry, complex, and different.... and really only enjoyed by wine snobs. (And, yes, I love a good cab).

The average rock n roll fan likes Kiss and moscatos, maybe a pinot grigio.... and enjoyed by most everyone because it is sweet and palatable.

What I have noticed in recent years, though, is that even people who don't like Rush are willing to give it up for Rush.... to acknowledge their place and roll in the pantheon of music history. Only a complete schmuck does not have respect for Rush today. You don't have to like someone to respect them.

• Like 2

How is it possible to like eggs? How is it possible not to like roast pork? How is it possible to like Oprah? How is it possible not to like Stanley Kubrick? How is it possible to like male figure skating? How is it possible not to like tennis?

...all useless questions that go along with the initial thread question

So how is it possible NOT to like Rush? I have no idea.....

.. as in RUSH, the debut album

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/rush-1974-album.jpg

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

It's easy.. a lot of people just like simple music to dance to.. the fools!
  • Like 1

It's easy.. a lot of people just like simple music to dance to.. the fools!

I've got no problem dancing to Rush while driving.

I once got laughed at at a stop light because my brake lights were flashing in tune with Neil's bass beats. Was driving a stick fortunately ;)

• Like 3

Well the last one wouldn't work, since it's a question of quantity of lack of possibility.

The third one is impossible in itself, i.e. it's impossible to not like Rush, so that one's out the door right there ;)

The other two would work fine :P

Careful with those NOTs, though, damn these booleans.

nm, Blue J already went there

Edited by JARG
  • Like 1

Over here in Oz Rush were never promoted and were seen as one of those odd ball bands that will make a few albums that maybe a few geeks will buy and then quietly disappear.As such not many have heard of them and are not familiar with their music.Ahh, that word familiar,a lot of people I know if something is playing that is not familiar they don't like it.It annoys the crap out of me. Also Rush never toured here and in their heyday they would have wiped the floor with a lot of bands here.However I do like the fact that I am just about the only person I know who likes all of Rush.For most it's too difficult to comprehend a band who's music ranges from The Necromancer to Time Stand Still.Also you just can't throw on Rush at a party or a gathering.Same with Yes or Porcupine Tree unless everyone is bonged out and couldn't care less what was playing.Rush music demands attention and careful listening and that's why many don't get it.
  • Like 2

^ I played the third side of ESL at a high school party I hosted an one of the wrestlers started jumping up and down so the needle would skip. I gave up.

Curious, since you're from Oz, I am listening as I type to the amazing incredible mind-blowing f-ing amazing Further Deeper by The Church. I can't describe how much I love this album. Do people listen to The Church much there? Ian Hauge from Powderfinger replaced MWP on guitar and it's new life in the band.

Funny thing is that Powderfinger seems to have achieved much more commercial success than The Church in Australia yet The Church seems much the more legendary band to my American ears. How do Aussies see it?

• Like 1