Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

Listen to what you want to listen to. I've found that different times in my life I've liked different things, but prog and Rush have been pretty much a constant.
  • Like 2

I'm a very, very, big prog fan myself. For a long time it was pretty much the only kind of music I cared much about although I've always liked other stuff too. I eventually got out of my prog snobbiness though and now listen to a variety of things although prog will always be my favorite.

Here's a little story to illustrate a point. I remember standing in line to see Yes(I believe it was for their Union concert in the early 90's)and was talking to a guy about music. I think I brought up Genesis thinking most Yes fans are also Genesis fans(which is not necessarily true but probably largely true). Anyway, I remember telling him how disappointed I was in the later Genesis after hearing early Genesis and how the later pop stuff was crap. Rather than give me the usual prog snob answer(this guy probably wasn't a typical or hardcore prog fan to begin wtih)he said to me something like "well, you can't compare the later Genesis with the early Genesis.They were basically two different bands." And you know what? He's right! But,the same is true with prog and non prog. You can't compare something like ELP or YES with other classic rock or prog with non prog rock. It's apples and oranges as they say. Also, I remember talking to a guy over dinner at a prog festival and to my surprise he told me he also likes punk. His response,(after I asked him about that)was "sometimes you want a steak and sometimes you want a hamburger."

Also, and I know this is somewhat controversial to say but if you are a guy and are looking for a girlfriend you should probably wait a while before bringing up that you are a prog fan. Why? Because most women either don't know what it is or just don't like it(or understand it). Look at this thread and count the number of female replies for example. ;) That's not to say no girls like prog but the overwhelming majority of their fans(the big fans that is) seem to be dudes. That's just the way it is.

Edited by New_World_Man

Also, and I know this is somewhat controversial to say but if you are a guy and are looking for a girlfriend you should probably wait a while before bringing up that you are a prog fan. Why? Because most women either don't know what it is or just don't like it(or understand it). Look at this thread and count the number of female replies for example. ;) That's not to say no girls like prog but the overwhelming majority of their fans(the big fans that is) seem to be dudes. That's just the way it is.

I think that might've been the case years ago but not so much anymore. The other thing to consider is that you don't want to be with someone that you hate their taste in music. It will drive you nuts. Be true to yourself.

• Like 1

No, I believe it's still true but maybe it depends on the woman's perception of prog and whether she thinks it's geeky or not. I remember a young woman trying to convince me she only went to see Yes because she didn't want her dad to go alone so she went with him. It was like she was embarrassed or ashamed to be there or something. I hope you are right though and this stigma has decreased a lot. That being said, I rarely see young women by themselves or with their girlfriends at prog shows. Sometimes older women and even then most of them are with husbands or boyfriends. Edited by New_World_Man

Hiding something as trivial as musical interests because you're worried she'll dislike them (and, as a result, you) is a recipe for disaster.

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Try classical. But then you risk getting bored with everything else more or less, including progressive rock. Edited by Irenicus
  • Like 1

There is so much style of Progressive Rock that we don't have enough time to listen to so much music,but i need to listen to some other styles of music from time to time, but always come back to Prog Rock.

To be honest, Rush are one of the few "progressive" bands that I can stomach precisely because there is an element of "soul" or "warmth" in their songs..

For example, Dream Theatre are probably better musicians than Rush, but Rush write (or wrote) much better songs.

Also, there are other forms of music where the genius is not so much in blinding musicianship, but in thoughtful, sometimes incisive lyrics,something prog as a whole is not too hot on.

The usual "just my opinion" blah de blah applies.

• Like 3

its not bad, just what you like.

But you are missing out i think, so many great genres of music you should explore a little more though

Do you have any suggestions? I like checking out new music. :)

Govenment Mule

Joe Bonamassa

Phish

Should keep you busy for a while. :)

Edited by grep

I love Rush and Yes as much or more as the next guy or gal but I can't imagine life without straight up kick @ss rock like 70's AC/DC, UFO, Priest, Scorpions etc etc. It may not be thought provoking but damn is it great... :)
  • Like 2

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

This has got to be the most pointless post I've ever seen on here, sorry!

:popcorn:

Dig into early Jethro Tull, if you want to expand your horizons a little bit. They are an excellent bridge between prog and blues-rock.

Recommended albums:

Stand Up

Benefit

If those don't do anything for you, then just put on what you like, and be happy with it. :)

• Like 1

When I was younger, I listened only to Gothic metal, with various forms of metal and hardcore in between.

You get hungry for other sounds after a while.

• Like 1

I can't add much that hasn't already been been said. Prog covers a vast range and quantity of music and if that is enough for you, great. I wouldn't get too hung up on classification though, you might miss out on some magic. Just listen to everything with an open mind. Having said that, the majority of what I listen to comes under the prog umbrella.
  • Like 2

I can't add much that hasn't already been been said. Prog covers a vast range and quantity of music and if that is enough for you, great. I wouldn't get too hung up on classification though, you might miss out on some magic. Just listen to everything with an open mind. Having said that, the majority of what I listen to comes under the prog umbrella.

Yeah, that's a good mentality.

Try classical. But then you risk getting bored with everything else more or less, including progressive rock.

Classical is great. But I always get bored with it when i try to start, becasue it's not heavy. If they were doing that with a symphony of crunchy guitars, I'd be all in.

Try classical. But then you risk getting bored with everything else more or less, including progressive rock.

Classical is great. But I always get bored with it when i try to start, becasue it's not heavy. If they were doing that with a symphony of crunchy guitars, I'd be all in.

It doesn't necessarily bore me, but it certainly doesn't make me find Prog boring. I do like classical though.

As long as you aren't an elits dick about it. Prog fans tend to think they are the smartest guys in the room ( we have some of those on this forum) and turn a lot of music fans off. It's part of the reason Prog has been so hated through the years. I can love Rush, and also love AcDc .. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Like 5

Rick Wakemans:

Six Wives of Henry VIII

Journey to the centre of the earth

I have both of those and have since the 70's. I actually own 6 Wakeman solo albums... :)