Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

just giving Awaken by Yes a blast and right now it's hard to imagine anything touching prog rock but of course every other genre is worth listening to when it's top drawer stuff.

As long as you aren't an elits dick about it. Prog fans tend to think they are the smartest guys in the room ( we have some of those on this forum) and turn a lot of music fans off. It's part of the reason Prog has been so hated through the years. I can love Rush, and also love AcDc .. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree.....despite the complexity of the music, lyrically prog is often very poor indeed with a couple of notable exceptions.

• Like 1

As long as you aren't an elits dick about it. Prog fans tend to think they are the smartest guys in the room ( we have some of those on this forum) and turn a lot of music fans off. It's part of the reason Prog has been so hated through the years. I can love Rush, and also love AcDc .. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree.....despite the complexity of the music, lyrically prog is often very poor indeed with a couple of notable exceptions.

At least the lyrics are typically better than drugs/sex/rock and roll every single song. :P

• Like 2

At least the lyrics are typically better than drugs/sex/rock and roll every single song. :P

Are you implying that there is something wrong with this classic?... :)

• Like 1

No, I believe it's still true but maybe it depends on the woman's perception of prog and whether she thinks it's geeky or not. I remember a young woman trying to convince me she only went to see Yes because she didn't want her dad to go alone so she went with him. It was like she was embarrassed or ashamed to be there or something. I hope you are right though and this stigma has decreased a lot. That being said, I rarely see young women by themselves or with their girlfriends at prog shows. Sometimes older women and even then most of them are with husbands or boyfriends.

Well the show thing most likely has to do with safety. You don't see groups of women going out to concerts by themselves as much because it's safer to go with a man.

Prog is less a genre and more of a mindset if you ask me. Most every genre has at least a few artists who are worth listening to. If one is willing to look hard enough, it's possible to find out who's really "pushing the envelope" within each genre.
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3tqIukBKg

Sorry but yes. I didn't like that at all. :eh:

Now that was a joke, son. :P

Try this then. Let There Be Rock start to finish is one of the best rock recordings ever and of all time. No filler and all thriller. Give it a sec to get going and turn it up. I used to fast walk to this album all the time. Such a pick me up... :dweez:

• Like 1

Prog is less a genre and more of a mindset if you ask me. Most every genre has at least a few artists who are worth listening to. If one is willing to look hard enough, it's possible to find out who's really "pushing the envelope" within each genre.

That's a good way of looking at it. Some bands whom I enjoy that aren't classified as "prog" in the traditional term, I would classify as prog in terms of mindset and what they're going for musically in the genre they play in.

• Like 1

Then you have no sense of humour...the lyrics are hilrariously filthy double entendres and required considerable wit to come up with.

• Like 3

Then you have no sense of humour...the lyrics are hilrariously filthy double entendres and required considerable wit to come up with.

Yep. It is far from my favorite by them but I "get it" at least. The list is so long of by 70's favorites by them I know where I would start but it would go on and on. Amazing rock indeed. I laugh to myself when I think back to a time when NOBODY I knew of knew of had ever heard of them and they were cranking out albums like these. Amazing. Old school out... :codger:

Agreed, but you are the one who seems to think that all non-prog is about sex, drugs and rock n roll...there are a plethora of artists out there who are very intelligent and articulate people who don't need feel the need to blind with science.

As an example I would point you to something like this:

Is it full of syncopated time changes? no,but the musicianship is decent, and the lyrics are heartfelt and extremely evocative...that's a skill in itself.

Agreed, but you are the one who seems to think that all non-prog is about sex, drugs and rock n roll...there are a plethora of artists out there who are very intelligent and articulate people who don't need feel the need to blind with science.

As an example I would point you to something like this:

Is it full of syncopated time changes? no,but the musicianship is decent, and the lyrics are heartfelt and extremely evocative...that's a skill in itself.

I know, I was referring to traditional classic rock.

:goodone:

This thread kind of reminds me of myself from about 20 years ago. I was a music snob. I loved all of the underground alternative stuff. I felt I was more enlightened. I thought Heavy Metal was for stoners.

Then I got XM in my car, and since they played Rush on the Boneyard, I started listening. I soon discovered that Motorhead, early Metallica, and Iron Maiden is some seriously bad ass music. My snobbishness has certainly waned over the years. Like JB stated earlier, labeling music is just for marketing. There are really only two kinds of music. Good music and bad music.

For the record, pop and country always fall into the bad music category though. ;)

• Like 2

Here's a great example of why keeping an open mind is important -

Colosseum II

Gary Moore on guitar - he later went on to finish the last 20 some years of his career playing blues

Don Airey on keyboards - went on to play with Ozzy

And Jon Hiseman is an incredible drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjDigJ_QQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtUSpnUhaE

One of my favourite bands.

Electric Savage and Wardances are brilliant, Strange New Flesh is a bit tame.

Gary Moore is probably the most underrated guitarist ever. He could shred before shredding became ubiquitous, could out Santana Carlos Santana, had amazing dexterity and could make his guitar sing the blues.

How versatile he? He played on Andrew Lloyd Webber's Variations album, a classical rock album and pulled it off with aplomb.

Hiseman and Airey are no slouches either. Don Airey collaborated with Gary Moore on several albums including a couple of Cozy Powell solo sets and on Airey's own albums.

I prefer guitar rock with the accent on adventurous playing. I don't like overplaying of which Petrucci is most famously culpable of though I'm partial to a bit of OTT keyboards.

Progressive Rock covers a very wide spectrum from Folk to Pop to Jazz to Rock and so caters for a variety of tastes.

Like many of the oldies here I am very fond of 70s classic hard rock, bands like UFO, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions (before they wimped out), early Judas Priest, Rainbow, Purple, Zep, Sabbath.

I always had a soft spot for Simon & Garfunkel and liked Ted Nugent's 1st album and some early Dire Straits. a couple of Styx albums, some Lynyrd Skynyrd.

• Like 1

Like many of the oldies here I am very fond of 70s classic hard rock, bands like UFO, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions (before they wimped out), early Judas Priest, Rainbow, Purple, Zep, Sabbath.

I always had a soft spot for Simon & Garfunkel and liked Ted Nugent's 1st album a couple of Styx albums,

Only because you have excellent taste. No Double Live Gonzo?...
  • Like 1

Don't believe this illusion of categorizing music. This marketing scheme. There is only music that you like or dislike. :blaze:

You are entitled to your opinion however dumb it might seem to anyone of any intellect.

Categorisation exists for a very good reason, back in the day it wasn't really easy to hear full albums, there wasn't album orientated radio, t'internet, streaming music or downloads so in order to hear new stuff you had to borrow it off a mate or relative or take a punt based on how the music was categorised, the look of the sleeve or the contributing musicians.

Also, I'd hate to walk into a record store that only sold Jazz because, hey music is either good or bad to your taste, so why bother with categories?