Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

This has got to be the most pointless post I've ever seen on here, sorry!

:popcorn:

I don't buy this for a minute! I've seen your posts on here over the years and I'm pretty sure you're more open to non-prog than you let on.. do you consider Y&T prog? Ratt??

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

You've seen my posts here over the years? I haven't even been here a full year. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Also I never heard Ratt or Y&T.

Maybe he is another person convinced you are someone else, some particular person who got banned whose name we shall not mention (SavageGrace)!

(Not seen a single jot of evidence in anything you have posted, but never mind!)

Okay...if there is any way to prove that I'm not some banned member I'll do it.

• Like 1

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

I don't buy this for a minute! I've seen your posts on here over the years and I'm pretty sure you're more open to non-prog than you let on.. do you consider Y&T prog? Ratt??

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

You've seen my posts here over the years? I haven't even been here a full year. Are you sure you're not confusing me with someone else? Also I never heard Ratt or Y&T.

Maybe he is another person convinced you are someone else, some particular person who got banned whose name we shall not mention (SavageGrace)!

(Not seen a single jot of evidence in anything you have posted, but never mind!)

Not sure...try not getting banned!

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Will do.

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Will do.

Or gett banned. We know you are gonna come back under a different guise. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Will do.

Or gett banned. We know you are gonna come back under a different guise. :facepalm:

I will try not to get banned, If I'm doing something against the forum rules please let me know. I've never tried to offend anyone.

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

Will do.

I will try not to get banned, If I'm doing something against the forum rules please let me know. I've never tried to offend anyone.

I wouldn't worry.

Tp2d0afa17f1572f0ed5f2e61da63f2b9b.jpg

• Like 1

gave the human equation a go for a few minutes. too old fashioned and plain dull for me i'm afraid :)

thing about rush and their early stuff like hemispheres and AFTK etc, while old-worldy kinda fantasy stuff at times it still sounded cutting edge and masterpieces of musical composition.

no substitute for absolute genius.

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

It's a pretty complicated process:

1. Compose a letter to 73 containing every secret you've ever had or been told.

2. Compose a 10 hour symphony version of AT LEAST 3 Rush songs.

3. Pray that the gods smile upon you.

• Like 2

The Commodores are a prog rock band? :unsure:

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/601069111/dont_label_me_decal.jpg?height=225&width=225

i don't know that you could meet anyone who hates the endless categories they've put rock music in more than me. :boo hiss:

I was just asking. :)

i don't even know what the heck progressive rock is. :joker:

Progressive rock is a style of rock that makes snobs think they are smarter than anyone else.

Got that definition from the Oxford Dictionary.

You used a dictionary? That's not very prog. http://www.sorkino.it/style_emoticons/default/snob.png

Jon and Ian Anderson edited it.

Jon = Douchey Prog

Ian = Cool Bluesy Prog

Ian > Jon

(in my book)

I think yes are much better than tull, but tull definitely had an emphasis on hummable tunes that some of the other prog bands didn't, and tull also had a sense of humor. although yes are definitely songwriting first, musicianship second - I've seen all good people and roundabout are rock radio staples for a reason.

Both are great.

But Yes are by far the better of the two. Love them!

Given a choice, I'd take Tull. For the humor and more reigned-in complexity. Both are solid, of course.

My favorite Tull album is "THICK AS A DICK!"

:LOL: I tried not to laugh :facepalm: but couldn't help myself. :ph34r: :LOL:

• Like 1

Nice try bud. haha! ;)

It's a pretty complicated process:

1. Compose a letter to 73 containing every secret you've ever had or been told.

2. Compose a 10 hour symphony version of AT LEAST 3 Rush songs.

3. Pray that the gods smile upon you.

I'll get on it immediately. :P

• Like 2

Of course its not bad! I listen to prog practically all the time, simply because ,to me, its the only genre of music (besides classical) that you hear an artist truly put their heart and soul out to put on the greatest thing you have ever heard. Sure many people may not like prog, but that's usually because its hard for the mainstream to understand it. It's mesmerizing really...

So is it bad you listen to prog all the time? No... it shows you have great taste in music ;)

• Like 2

Of course its not bad! I listen to prog practically all the time, simply because ,to me, its the only genre of music (besides classical) that you hear an artist truly put their heart and soul out to put on the greatest thing you have ever heard. Sure many people may not like prog, but that's usually because its hard for the mainstream to understand it. It's mesmerizing really...

So is it bad you listen to prog all the time? No... it shows you have great taste in music ;)

:fistbump:

• Like 1

its not bad, just what you like.

But you are missing out i think, so many great genres of music you should explore a little more though

Just look at some of the other genres of music that has influenced RUSH. Ex: reggae...The Police....as some say variety is the spice of life.

Peace

• Like 1

Or that you think too much of your own opinion.

Love ya newbie!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/R81wF0yPvCo/hqdefault.jpg

• Like 1

its not bad, just what you like.

But you are missing out i think, so many great genres of music you should explore a little more though

Just look at some of the other genres of music that has influenced RUSH. Ex: reggae...The Police....as some say variety is the spice of life.

Peace

I do like the police.

• Like 1