Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

This has got to be the most pointless post I've ever seen on here, sorry!

:popcorn:

its not bad, just what you like.

But you are missing out i think, so many great genres of music you should explore a little more though

Do you have any suggestions? I like checking out new music. :)

• Like 1

I don't think it's a bad thing. It could be that you're an imaginative person who isn't as excited by music with predictable structures, no matter how well played they might be. It's just that sometimes those predictable forms are carrying some very emotional vocal delivery or guitar playing, for example. I get bored by blues music sometimes, but there are players who just make the guitar cry.
  • Like 6

I don't think it's a bad thing. It could be that you're an imaginative person who isn't as excited by music with predictable structures, no matter how well played they might be. It's just that sometimes those predictable forms are carrying some very emotional vocal delivery or guitar playing, for example. I get bored by blues music sometimes, but there are players who just make the guitar cry.

Yeah, I can see the emotion in genres like blues, but for whatever reason I tend to prefer technical music over 'soul'. I love new music structures, conceptual themes, the variance in rythem, syncopation, and the exploration of scales found in prog.

• Like 1

I'm gonna agree with MagicSpree101 on this one. You like what you like and that's okay cause I'm sure most of us here on the forum love prog. But personally and this is just me, I try often as I can to go out of my comfort zone with genres of music and I'm genuinely surprised by what resonates with me and what doesn't. I find that often times something that doesn't click with me immediately, I go back and listen much later and all of a sudden it just does. There'll be a lot of stuff out there that just won't be satisfying/enjoyable to your ears at least subjectively, but if you put in a bit of effort to look for good music outside of prog and have patience (it's easier said than done believe me), you'll be amazed by what's out there. Again to each their own, what's good for you or me isn't necessarily the case for someone else but that's just my 2 cents.

Edit: By the way, "The Human Equation" as in the Ayreon album right? I still need to listen to that cause a lot of musicians whom I admire/enjoy are on that album.

Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 2

I'm gonna agree with MagicSpree101 on this one. You like what you like and that's okay cause I'm sure most of us here on the forum love prog. But personally and this is just me, I try often as I can to go out of my comfort zone with genres of music and I'm genuinely surprised by what resonates with me and what doesn't. I find that often times something that doesn't click with me immediately, I go back and listen much later and all of a sudden it just does. There'll be a lot of stuff out there that just won't be satisfying/enjoyable to your ears at least subjectively, but if you put in a bit of effort to look for good music outside of prog and have patience (it's easier said than done believe me), you'll be amazed by what's out there. Again to each their own, what's good for you or me isn't necessarily the case for someone else but that's just my 2 cents.

Edit: By the way, "The Human Equation" as in the Ayreon album right? I still need to listen to that cause a lot of musicians whom I admire/enjoy are on that album.

I would like to explore other genres, but after listening to the complex changes and structures of prog I tend to find other music very underwhelming, with the exception of jazz probably. The Human Equation is by Ayreon. It's mind blowing.

But you are missing out i think, so many great genres of music you should explore a little more though

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (20th Century Orchestral)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (Fusion)

Slint - Spiderland (Post-Rock)

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life (Jazz)

Zombi - Surface to Air (more Prog, but great and not too well known)

These are things that I like and got into because of my love of technical music.

Stravinsky - The Rite of Spring (20th Century Orchestral)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire (Fusion)

Slint - Spiderland (Post-Rock)

Pat Metheny - Bright Size Life (Jazz)

Zombi - Surface to Air (more Prog, but great and not too well known)

These are things that I like and got into because of my love of technical music.

Those look neat, I'll check them out. Thanks!

I would like to explore other genres, but after listening to the complex changes and structures of prog I tend to find other music very underwhelming, with the exception of jazz probably. The Human Equation is by Ayreon. It's mind blowing.

Since you love prog, maybe starting out with subgenre's not a bad way to start off branching off. Prog-metal's one subgenre I particularly enjoy and judging by the music Ayreon makes, that's definitely what I'd call prog-metal.

• Like 1

Here's a great example of why keeping an open mind is important -

Colosseum II

Gary Moore on guitar - he later went on to finish the last 20 some years of his career playing blues

Don Airey on keyboards - went on to play with Ozzy

And Jon Hiseman is an incredible drummer

• Like 4

Agree 100% sometimes it's nice to chill with jazz and blues.

I love prog, but am not a fan of the "vintage prog" full of keyboards and psychedelia like ELP or Genesis, and to a much lesser extent, Yes. The prog that I do like is a lot more guitar and rock focused, such as 70's Floyd, Styx, and of course, Rush above all others.

When I'm not listening to the prog I like it's usually hard blues rock, like Joe Bonamassa, and that's where most of my musical taste is expanding, like Gary Clark Jr. and Gary Moore.

• Like 1

What you like is what you like.

It's all good.

Rush and Rainbow are usually the only heavy and proggy bands I like to be honest.

I typically listen to blues, Western and 'basic' rock stuff.

Edited by thirteen
  • Like 1

I started listening to "The Human Equation" and realized it was possibly the most fantastic piece of music to ever grace my ears. My mind was blown. Dream Theater, Yes, Pink Floyd, and of course Rush produce and have produced about the best music I've ever heard, and now when I try to go listen to a normal 4/4 blues rock song or some pop song or especially rap or country, I'm bored to tears. Is this bad?

This has got to be the most pointless post I've ever seen on here, sorry!

:popcorn:

Uh-oh.

This infamous fraroc post is no longer a strawman:

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/95640-an-unpopular-opinion-about-prog-rock/#entry3714135

Here's a great example of why keeping an open mind is important -

Colosseum II

Gary Moore on guitar - he later went on to finish the last 20 some years of his career playing blues

Don Airey on keyboards - went on to play with Ozzy

And Jon Hiseman is an incredible drummer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtjDigJ_QQI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhtUSpnUhaE

Those are really cool!

• Like 1

Agree 100% sometimes it's nice to chill with jazz and blues.

I do like Jazz, and Blues to an extent, but after a while Blues just gets too predictable for me. It's almost always a 1 4 5 progression. It's not bad, just overused I feel. It's kind of like old 50's rock. It's good and all but every song is pretty much exactly the same, they just change the name of the girl. :P