Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

I've never quite understood how liking something that takes a decent level of musicianship to play is considered snobbery. Like it's considered something negative?

I know what you mean. I can only assume that the flip side of that is that you must look down on "simpler" types of music. I guess that can be valid but as for myself I try to evaluate based on integrity too, not solely on complexity. I do have a great appreciation for complex music and admire those who make it. I can't help that, it's just how I am wired. I feel the same about the books I choose to read. I occasionally want a "potato chip" read but I can't live on it.

Exactly. I like simplistic music now and then, but I would hate to have only that to listen to. I can only assume the snobbery issue arises because people who enjoy simple music all of the time feel threatened by the people who like complex music. It's one thing for a musician to play uncomplicated music (and by that I mean common time signatures, technically "easy" to play parts, "juvenile" lyrics) because they're only that good, but another for them to play it because they do it to make money. A lot of bands will play whatever brings in the cash, whether they admit it or not.

I don't think anyone is threatened by someone else's taste in music. the snob issue comes from when fans of prog rock judge a piece of music by how complex it is. I think all the complexity in the world means nothing if you can't write a memorable tune.

STOOOOOOOOOPPPPPP with the accuracy

thanks segue. and eagle, I'm not saying that you're like that because I know you like the beatles and other groups that aren't exactly out-the-ass technical. but there are a lot of prog rock fans who think that way.
  • Like 1

thanks segue. and eagle, I'm not saying that you're like that because I know you like the beatles and other groups that aren't exactly out-the-ass technical. but there are a lot of prog rock fans who think that way.

I am a snobby mo fo however!... :dweez:

:AlienSmiley: I wouldn't call you snobby at all, I'd just say you're set in your ways.

• Like 1

Nah! Just absolutely stone cold ancient with a taste for rock...fossils.

Love ya!

• Like 2

:AlienSmiley: I wouldn't call you snobby at all, I'd just say you're set in your ways.

Set in my ways!? WTF ever would give you that idea?... :rage:

:)

Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE ON YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU, CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY DIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOND!

Just that part makes the song progressive. No, btw, its totally cool

• Like 1

To my ear, problems arise when a band sets out to impress the listener, or, to intentionally avoid simple time signatures or formulas ..

Good or bad, it is obvious when this happens

It is like having a conversation with someone who is communicating as if it were a Scrabble game

I, for one, do not want to be spoken to, be it by a pretentious musician or a self-important person

I also have found that people who can get into music with a good 4/4 beat are better in the sack

• Like 2

I've never quite understood how liking something that takes a decent level of musicianship to play is considered snobbery. Like it's considered something negative?

I know what you mean. I can only assume that the flip side of that is that you must look down on "simpler" types of music. I guess that can be valid but as for myself I try to evaluate based on integrity too, not solely on complexity. I do have a great appreciation for complex music and admire those who make it. I can't help that, it's just how I am wired. I feel the same about the books I choose to read. I occasionally want a "potato chip" read but I can't live on it.

Exactly. I like simplistic music now and then, but I would hate to have only that to listen to. I can only assume the snobbery issue arises because people who enjoy simple music all of the time feel threatened by the people who like complex music. It's one thing for a musician to play uncomplicated music (and by that I mean common time signatures, technically "easy" to play parts, "juvenile" lyrics) because they're only that good, but another for them to play it because they do it to make money. A lot of bands will play whatever brings in the cash, whether they admit it or not.

I don't think anyone is threatened by someone else's taste in music. the snob issue comes from when fans of prog rock judge a piece of music by how complex it is. I think all the complexity in the world means nothing if you can't write a memorable tune.

I don't think you can speak for everyone. I was just talking generally. I think there are people that are threatened by complex music because they don't "get it". And I'm using the word threatened to mean turned off due to ignorance. I'm sure I'll get flack for that comment but it's how I see it.

• Like 1

To my ear, problems arise when a band sets out to impress the listener, or, to intentionally avoid simple time signatures or formulas ..

It is like having a conversation with someone who is communicating as if it were a Scrabble game

I, for one, do not want to be spoken to, be it by a pretentious musician or a self-important person

I also have found that people who can get into music with a good 4/4 beat are better in the sack

Honey Boo Boo just called. :P

• Like 1

Geez I wish I even remotely had a clue about that last statement. Is there some sort of government paid for clinical trial to figure this out for sure and where would one sign up for the 55-65 division?... ;) Edited by Narps
  • Like 3

Geez I wish I even remotely had a clue about that last statement. Is there some sort of government paid for clinical trial to figure this out for sure and where would one sign up for the 55-65 division?... ;)

I think it is called a "Lucas-ism"

A ridiculous ending comment used to offset the previous longwinded nonsense

It happens in most of my posts

• Like 1

I don't see prog as being pretentious, anymore than classical music is pretentious. Complex music doesn't always mean good music I agree, but I like music that challenges, that experiments and explores new ground. I can't find that very easily in Blues or Country or Classic Rock. There are exceptions to that for me but things like AC/DC bore me to tears by how cookie cutter bland they are.
  • Like 2

I don't see prog as being pretentious, anymore than classical music is pretentious. Complex music doesn't always mean good music I agree, but I like music that challenges, that experiments and explores new ground. I can't find that very easily in Blues or Country or Classic Rock. There are exceptions to that for me but things like AC/DC bore me to tears by how cookie cutter bland they are.

AC/DC found a formula that worked for them. Unfortunately they rarely ever deviated from it.

• Like 2

AC/DC found a formula that worked for them. Unfortunately they rarely ever deviated from it.

They haven't needed to. Fortunately.

They found a formula that sells. Once they figured out how to make easy bank they just cranked out the same rubbish for decades. That deserves no respect from me.

• Like 1

Double ouch and I mean the Bon stuff of course. Nothing else...

For their cash influx that would be true.

• Like 1

Well it's true. When did they ever deviate from the 3-4 chord formula?

• Like 1

For their cash influx that would be true.

Well it's true. When did they ever deviate from the 3-4 chord formula?

:goodone: :goodone:

There is no shame in simplicity

I love AC/DC during the Bon Scott era - like it or not, there has never been a more sincere rock and roll band than AC/DC during the time Bon Scott was there ..

There is no shame in going into a studio or onto a stage and just doing what you love, and being who you are

AC/DC are no different than Chuck Berry, and if you want to start criticizing Chuck, then I have nothing else to say

• Like 5