Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

Like many of the oldies here I am very fond of 70s classic hard rock, bands like UFO, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions (before they wimped out), early Judas Priest, Rainbow, Purple, Zep, Sabbath.

I always had a soft spot for Simon & Garfunkel and liked Ted Nugent's 1st album a couple of Styx albums,

Only because you have excellent taste. No Double Live Gonzo?...

Oh yeah. Anyone who wants to get mellow can turn around and get the f**k out of here...

• Like 2

Like many of the oldies here I am very fond of 70s classic hard rock, bands like UFO, Van Halen, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions (before they wimped out), early Judas Priest, Rainbow, Purple, Zep, Sabbath.

I always had a soft spot for Simon & Garfunkel and liked Ted Nugent's 1st album a couple of Styx albums,

Only because you have excellent taste. No Double Live Gonzo?...

Oh yeah. Anyone who wants to get mellow can turn around and get the f**k out of here...

:LOL: Indeed... It's funny because I saw him live 3 times in his absolute heyday and never once did I go to specifically see him. Interesting when I think about it now. He never disappointed though even having said that...

Is it bad that I only like punk, heavy metal, progressive rock, post metal, and alternative? :huh:

A question I ask myself often is "Is it bad that almost all 'new (to me)' music I discover/listen to right now is post-metal?"

I've really been getting into 70s funk lately.

In my high school days (circa 76'-78') this was the song that ALWAYS played at home games when the team hit the court for pregame layup drills and shoot around. Never forget it... :chickendance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnBexLcMkq4

just kidding. anyway, I'm a bigger fan of 70s prog rock than anyone I know, but rock n roll was built on simplicity and fun. people can like what they like, but personally, I'd go crazy if all I could listen to was close to the edge. sometimes you need something heavy
  • Like 1

I love progressive rock the most but it draws on a variety of styles. I did develop a snob type attitude and was quite intolerant of some music and bands but I have been surprised at some of the artists that my favorite musicians enjoy. If you don't like a style or band then you don't have to but having an open mind and a large collection of music can bring lots of enjoyment.

Don't believe this illusion of categorizing music. This marketing scheme. There is only music that you like or dislike. :blaze:

You are entitled to your opinion however dumb it might seem to anyone of any intellect.

Categorisation exists for a very good reason, back in the day it wasn't really easy to hear full albums, there wasn't album orientated radio, t'internet, streaming music or downloads so in order to hear new stuff you had to borrow it off a mate or relative or take a punt based on how the music was categorised, the look of the sleeve or the contributing musicians.

Also, I'd hate to walk into a record store that only sold Jazz because, hey music is either good or bad to your taste, so why bother with categories?

Walk into a record store out here and often the categorization likely wouldn't agree with you. A few years ago back in the home country, I heard Rush on a country music station a few times and you know what happened? Nothing. I didn't see any remarkable increase or drop in their record sales.

Additionally, I'm not too much younger than you actually so yeah I hear you in regards to radio back in the day, pre-internet years, and taking a chance on album covers.

Oh, nice first sentence bait btw. However, it was unnecessary since I would've read your post regardless.

I've never quite understood how liking something that takes a decent level of musicianship to play is considered snobbery. Like it's considered something negative?
  • Like 5

Don't believe this illusion of categorizing music. This marketing scheme. There is only music that you like or dislike. :blaze:

You are entitled to your opinion however dumb it might seem to anyone of any intellect.

Categorisation exists for a very good reason, back in the day it wasn't really easy to hear full albums, there wasn't album orientated radio, t'internet, streaming music or downloads so in order to hear new stuff you had to borrow it off a mate or relative or take a punt based on how the music was categorised, the look of the sleeve or the contributing musicians.

Also, I'd hate to walk into a record store that only sold Jazz because, hey music is either good or bad to your taste, so why bother with categories?

Walk into a record store out here and often the categorization likely wouldn't agree with you. A few years ago back in the home country, I heard Rush on a country music station a few times and you know what happened? Nothing. I didn't see any remarkable increase or drop in their record sales.

Additionally, I'm not too much younger than you actually so yeah I hear you in regards to radio back in the day, pre-internet years, and taking a chance on album covers.

Oh, nice first sentence bait btw. However, it was unnecessary since I would've read your post regardless.

Not bait, the truth.

Like it or lump it.

I've never quite understood how liking something that takes a decent level of musicianship to play is considered snobbery. Like it's considered something negative?

I know what you mean. I can only assume that the flip side of that is that you must look down on "simpler" types of music. I guess that can be valid but as for myself I try to evaluate based on integrity too, not solely on complexity. I do have a great appreciation for complex music and admire those who make it. I can't help that, it's just how I am wired. I feel the same about the books I choose to read. I occasionally want a "potato chip" read but I can't live on it.

• Like 1

I know what you mean. I can only assume that the flip side of that is that you must look down on "simpler" types of music. I guess that can be valid but as for myself I try to evaluate based on integrity too, not solely on complexity. I do have a great appreciation for complex music and admire those who make it. I can't help that, it's just how I am wired. I feel the same about the books I choose to read. I occasionally want a "potato chip" read but I can't live on it.

Love the avatar if you don't mind me saying so? Even if you do I still like it... :D
  • Like 1

As long as you aren't an elits dick about it. Prog fans tend to think they are the smartest guys in the room ( we have some of those on this forum) and turn a lot of music fans off. It's part of the reason Prog has been so hated through the years. I can love Rush, and also love AcDc .. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree.....despite the complexity of the music, lyrically prog is often very poor indeed with a couple of notable exceptions.

At least the lyrics are typically better than drugs/sex/rock and roll every single song. :P

Are you implying that there is something wrong with this classic?... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3tqIukBKg

Sorry but yes. I didn't like that at all. :eh:

Try this then. Let There Be Rock start to finish is one of the best rock recordings ever and of all time. No filler and all thriller. Give it a sec to get going and turn it up. I used to fast walk to this album all the time. Such a pick me up... :dweez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuMz94vurdw

f**k yeah!!! It's Friday as hell in my house right now!

:haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz:

Thanks, buddy! :notworthy:

• Like 3

Exactly. I like simplistic music now and then, but I would hate to have only that to listen to. I can only assume the snobbery issue arises because people who enjoy simple music all of the time feel threatened by the people who like complex music. It's one thing for a musician to play uncomplicated music (and by that I mean common time signatures, technically "easy" to play parts, "juvenile" lyrics) because they're only that good, but another for them to play it because they do it to make money. A lot of bands will play whatever brings in the cash, whether they admit it or not.

• Like 1

a song isn't good unless it's longer than twenty minutes and is divided into at least five "suites"

That's why I play any random Taylor Swift on loop...and mix up the speed settings...for a good half hour.

Magical!

• Like 1

As long as you aren't an elits dick about it. Prog fans tend to think they are the smartest guys in the room ( we have some of those on this forum) and turn a lot of music fans off. It's part of the reason Prog has been so hated through the years. I can love Rush, and also love AcDc .. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree.....despite the complexity of the music, lyrically prog is often very poor indeed with a couple of notable exceptions.

At least the lyrics are typically better than drugs/sex/rock and roll every single song. :P

Are you implying that there is something wrong with this classic?... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3tqIukBKg

Sorry but yes. I didn't like that at all. :eh:

Try this then. Let There Be Rock start to finish is one of the best rock recordings ever and of all time. No filler and all thriller. Give it a sec to get going and turn it up. I used to fast walk to this album all the time. Such a pick me up... :dweez:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuMz94vurdw

f**k yeah!!! It's Friday as hell in my house right now!

:haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz: :7up: :haz:

Thanks, buddy! :notworthy:

Anytime. As you can tell I never tire of talking about that recording. I have heard it so many times I couldn't tell ya but it still gets better and better with age... :cheers:
  • Like 2

Love the avatar if you don't mind me saying so? Even if you do I still like it... :D

Don't mind at all. Thanks for the compliment. :)

• Like 1

Don't mind at all. Thanks for the compliment. :)

Anytime and well deserved... :)

Anyone reading this into Mastodon? I'm not well versed on their catalog but I listen to some stuff on Pandora. They seem to strike the heavier side of my musical tastes. Edited by A rocket that ignites itself
  • Like 2

Anyone reading this into Mastodon? I'm not well versed in their catalog but I listen to some stuff on Pandora. They seem to strike the heavy side of my musical tastes.

MASTODON WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP!

Everything from The Call Of The Mastodon (EP compilation featuring music predating debut album Leviathan) through to Blood Mountain is flawless....FLAWLESS...

After that it stays consistently AMAZING.

• Like 1

Anyone reading this into Mastodon? I'm not well versed in their catalog but I listen to some stuff on Pandora. They seem to strike the heavy side of my musical tastes.

MASTODON WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP WOOP!

Everything from The Call Of The Mastodon (EP compilation featuring music predating debut album Leviathan) through to Blood Mountain is flawless....FLAWLESS...

After that it stays consistently AMAZING.

Interesting, Segue. I will do some deeper digging on this band. :ebert:

• Like 1

One of my all time favorite bands other than Rush?

The Commodores.

Not kidding. Not a joke. Love their musicianship. Love the creativity of their sound. Love the varied styles they demonstrate. And, yes, I love the soul.

The truth is, as much as I enjoy prog and various styles of "math" rock, I love music that has emotion and soul..... beyond the time signatures and complex arrangements, Rush has soul. I have said it before and I know a lot of folks here agree... Alex' playing style is deeply emotional. He brings the soul to the band.

That's probably the reason I also like straight forward rock and metal in that genre... there's often emotion there, too. But I also listen to jazz, reggae, classical, and lately, bluegrass and rockabilly (The Bottlerockets are getting a lot of play in the truck.... my goodness "Kerosene" is a compelling song). It's the emotion, the art, the humanity of music that I am drawn to. Probably the greatest proof in my life that God has a sense of humor is I was made with so little musical talent (as in the ability to truly play an instrument well), but I have such a deep love of music and spend so much money on a massive collection of CDs that would make some people think I must be a hoarder. :unsure:

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 4

Not bait, the truth.

Like it or lump it.

Ok, then you're just naturally a dick. Fantastic.

Exactly. I like simplistic music now and then, but I would hate to have only that to listen to. I can only assume the snobbery issue arises because people who enjoy simple music all of the time feel threatened by the people who like complex music. It's one thing for a musician to play uncomplicated music (and by that I mean common time signatures, technically "easy" to play parts, "juvenile" lyrics) because they're only that good, but another for them to play it because they do it to make money. A lot of bands will play whatever brings in the cash, whether they admit it or not.

I don't think anyone is threatened by someone else's taste in music. the snob issue comes from when fans of prog rock judge a piece of music by how complex it is. I think all the complexity in the world means nothing if you can't write a memorable tune.

• Like 3