Is it bad that progressive rock is about the only music genre I like?

AnEggplant

There is no shame in simplicity

I love AC/DC during the Bon Scott era - like it or not, there has never been a more sincere rock and roll band than AC/DC during the time Bon Scott was there ..

There is no shame in going into a studio or onto a stage and just doing what you love, and being who you are

AC/DC are no different than Chuck Berry, and if you want to start criticizing Chuck, then I have nothing else to say

That doesn't mean I should respect bands that push out the same song because it's proven to sell. Look, it's okay for party or bar music but that's all it is. There is absolutely no creativity or artistic value in this music. As a result, I find it hard to respect and keep my interest.

.. and if you want to talk about boring, just try watching that bass player in Dream Theater

Is there even a pulse ?

I don't know which Dream Theater you were watching because Myung produces some super sick bass lines. It certainly beats the AC/DC bass.

.. and if you want to talk about boring, just try watching that bass player in Dream Theater

Is there even a pulse ?

I don't know which Dream Theater you were watching because Myung produces some super sick bass lines. It certainly beats the AC/DC bass.

I'm sorry but Lucas is right. Myung is very talented but he's the wimpiest bass player in the world!!! He bass playing is like Jason's on "And Justice For All." You CAN'T HEAR HIM!!!!! You can't hear him on the record or live!!!!!

I've seen Dream Theater a shitload of times and damn I've even been in the front row in front of John! I must suffer from CHS!!!!!!

CAN'T HEAR SHIT!!!!!! WTF??????????????

He needs a fukking hair cut too!!!

• Like 1

I love AC/DC during the Bon Scott era - like it or not, there has never been a more sincere rock and roll band than AC/DC during the time Bon Scott was there ..

There is no shame in going into a studio or onto a stage and just doing what you love, and being who you are

AC/DC are no different than Chuck Berry, and if you want to start criticizing Chuck, then I have nothing else to say

:cheerleader: ...
  • Like 2

This thread is in great hands now. No need for my input... :) Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

:cheerleader: ...

DITTO!

CHEERS TO MORE BEERS!

AC/DC BON SCOTT ERA KICKS ROCK AND ROLL ARSE!!!!

"HELL AIN'T A BAD PLACE TO BE!" THAT'S WHERE I'M GOING HONEY!

• Like 3

I don't see prog as being pretentious, anymore than classical music is pretentious. Complex music doesn't always mean good music I agree, but I like music that challenges, that experiments and explores new ground. I can't find that very easily in Blues or Country or Classic Rock. There are exceptions to that for me but things like AC/DC bore me to tears by how cookie cutter bland they are.

AC/DC found a formula that worked for them. Unfortunately they rarely ever deviated from it.

They haven't needed to. Fortunately.

They found a formula that sells. Once they figured out how to make easy bank they just cranked out the same rubbish for decades. That deserves no respect from me.

Approaching the Douchebag Zone, my friend.
  • Like 3

Is there even a pulse ?

I've seen Return To Forever with Stanley Clarke

I don't need Dream Theater

• Like 3

Egg, I can understand what you are saying, but let's face it - AC/DC's singer Brian Johnson is 68 years old, and Malcolm Young can't tour anymore because he has dementia .. These guys had their time, but they are not exactly in their creative prime

When I first saw AC/DC on TV in 1978, I was blown away .. They were something I'd never seen before, and their music, at the time, suited their persona to a T ... I was 10 years old, and I loved them then, and that era, I still love ... That is saying something as they left a big impression on me ....

You have to remember - that was a different era .... Unfortunately, they lost their heart when Bon died, and they stuck with what they knew, even after it became stale ....

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 1

Is there even a pulse ?

I've seen Return To Forever with Stanley Clarke

I don't need Dream Theater

Jesus! I saw Return To Forever a few years again in SF. THEY FUKKING BLEW MY MIND! Lenny White and of course AL D BABY!!!

AL D MAKES PETRUCCI LOOK LIKE A LAME ASS GNC SALESPERSON!!!!!!!!!!! TEXT BOOK GUITARISTS SUCK ASS! AL D and SRV play (played) from the SOUL TO SOUL!!!!!!!

WAKE UP PROG SNOBS!!!!!

THERE IS SO MUCH MORE THAN FUKKING PRETENTIOUS PHONY PRUNE PUSSY PROG!!!!!!!

I'm going to sign off now and jack off to some Camel while I eat Taco Bell naked with two liter Pepsi drops running down my ass crack!

Later!

• Like 5

Egg, I can understand what you are saying, but let's face it - AC/DC's singer Brian Johnson is 68 years old, and Malcolm Young can't tour anymore because he has dementia .. These guys had their time, but they are not exactly in their creative prime

When I first saw AC/DC on TV in 1978, I was blown away .. They were something I'd never seen before, and their music, at the time, suited their persona to a T ... I was 10 years old, and I loved them then, and that era, I still love ... That is saying something as they left a big impression on me ....

You have to remember - that was a different era .... Unfortunately, they lost their heart when Bon died, and they stuck with what they knew, even after it became stale ....

Yep. When I had the great fortune to see them with Bon (79') about 4 months before his death little did I know that would be it. Still I believe the best show I have ever seen including Rush and the rest. I saw them with BJ twice over the next few years but it was never the same... :( Edited by Narps
  • Like 1

Is there even a pulse ?

He might be playing them but they usually have him so low in the mix and so muffled, you can't really tell. His fingers might be moving but the tone isn't there.

• Like 1

I don't think that's the issue here. I think it's that some people find the simplicity boring. Doesn't mean everyone has to like it, or everyone has to hate it. It's just opinions.

• Like 1

I've been watching a lot of old favorites - ya know, a little something before bed

I'm a guitar player, and I tend to find most "good" drummers really boring

That's not the case with Lenny White - the guy is a mother****** ... I could listen to him all night

oh wait ... I think I just did

• Like 2

I've been watching a lot of old favorites - ya know, a little something before bed

I'm a guitar player, and I tend to find most "good" drummers really boring

That's not the case with Lenny White - the guy is a mother****** ... I could listen to him all night

oh wait ... I think I just did

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGNBMNeytZU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujcYw2QTPzM

No one can touch John and Al baby

• Like 1

I don't see prog as being pretentious, anymore than classical music is pretentious. Complex music doesn't always mean good music I agree, but I like music that challenges, that experiments and explores new ground. I can't find that very easily in Blues or Country or Classic Rock. There are exceptions to that for me but things like AC/DC bore me to tears by how cookie cutter bland they are.

AC/DC found a formula that worked for them. Unfortunately they rarely ever deviated from it.

They found a formula that sells. Once they figured out how to make easy bank they just cranked out the same rubbish for decades. That deserves no respect from me.

It's not simplicity that I dislike about AC/DC, it's that they have made the same song for decades. If you like it that's fine, but I personally don't see the appeal to that. I don't think that makes me a douchebag. :P

• Like 1

That's my point though, they didn't really do anything interesting when they were in their prime. If you like it I can understand, but it just isn't for me. :)

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 2

It's not simplicity that I dislike about AC/DC, it's that they have made the same song for decades. If you like it that's fine, but I personally don't see the appeal to that. I don't think that makes me a douchebag. :P

It's one thing to not like their style. But to totally dismiss what they've done off-hand the way you do is douchey. Any band with a distinctive style has repetition, but there's plenty of variety and artistry within the relatively simple AC/DC formula. If you can't hear that, it's on you, not them. What you're saying is analogous to dismissing prog off-hand as being an endless series of repetitive, pretentious and soulless wankery devoid of discernible melody.
  • Like 4