Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

Always a lot of threads here on who is the most talented musician or the best band, but how about the opposite?

Who do you think has gone the farthest and has the least amount of talent?

What musicians and/or bands have gotten more recognition than they deserve?

Jimmy Page

I enjoy Zeppelin's music. But I agree with this (although I did think of putting Page on the Mt. Rushmore because of how he's viewed). And I think his live work in particular is spotty at best.

Always a lot of threads here on who is the most talented musician or the best band, but how about the opposite?

Jimmy Page

I sometimes think Page's musical inspiration - his creative genius - exceeded his ability to execute it. I've heard people say that he's often a "sloppy" player but that he was the first to do this or that.

I've never understood musicians' obsession with sounding squeaky clean. page's sloppiness isn't his downfall, imo, he just had a tendency to meander in a live setting and it could get really boring.

"sloppy" to most people usually means "good rock song" to me. but then again, I don't play so I'm not on the lookout for some of the things musicians look for.

My husband said Ginger Baker is a better drummer than Neil.

I can understand that opinion even though I don't agree at all. it seems crazy to most of us, but a lot of people find neil too mechanical and stiff. ginger's got "swing," or at least that's what "experts" tell me.

Jimmy Page

I'm laughing because I lost count of how many "jimmy page is the best guitarist/no he's not" arguments among men I've sat in on over the decades.

:)

I'm not saying the guy isn't good -- he is. What I am saying is that I've heard nothing in his playing to justify all the praise he receives.

• Like 3

The Rolling Stones. without a doubt. Nothing that' anyone has suggested from them has engaged me in the slightest.

and Dennis Deyoung as a singer. I never mentioned this but i saw him in a touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar as Pontius Pilate. Easily the worst singer on stage. He Styx-ed it up it a very bad way.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Dennis DeYoung's Hunchback Of Notre Dame is pretty awesome Mick...I honestly enjoyed that from start to finish!

Jimmy Page

I sometimes think Page's musical inspiration - his creative genius - exceeded his ability to execute it. I've heard people say that he's often a "sloppy" player but that he was the first to do this or that.

I've never understood musicians' obsession with sounding squeaky clean. page's sloppiness isn't his downfall, imo, he just had a tendency to meander in a live setting and it could get really boring.

"sloppy" to most people usually means "good rock song" to me. but then again, I don't play so I'm not on the lookout for some of the things musicians look for.

I think people have used "sloppy" in reference to his actual technical proficiency on the guitar, though. For example, the Heartbreaker solo is pretty cool, but the way it's executed makes me think that a few more takes would have helped. The choices are awesome, and it sounds difficult, and all that, but it's a bit jerky, like Page was having some trouble with his picking. You don't hear any of that choppiness in solos that Lifeson played on the first Rush record.

I guess you can argue that "pure" rock n' roll isn't about perfection, that it's more an attitude thing - Page on stage with his groovy threads and dangling cigarette and low slung guitar and that look in his eyes - that's quintessentially rock n' roll cool, maybe. Combine that with the inventiveness and you've got the epitome of the rock guitarist, I guess. But I'll still take someone like Lifeson or Martin Barre, who are much cleaner players and came up with great guitar hooks and passionate solos (and still look cool on stage).

I love Zep, though, and I love Page's playing. And who knows, without Page, Rush as we know it would be very different.

• Like 1

and Dennis Deyoung as a singer. I never mentioned this but i saw him in a touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar as Pontius Pilate. Easily the worst singer on stage. He Styx-ed it up it a very bad way.

Mick

I believe it. DeYoung as Pontius Pilate? Seems funny if I say it out loud.

• Like 1

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones

Porcupine Tree

Steve Wilson

Radiohead

Metallica

Anthrax

Bon Jovi

KISS

Eagles

Ramones

John Mellencamp

Avenged Sevenfold

Korn

Linkin Park

Muse

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Steely Dan

Segue how could you? Muse? Queen? Doth thou hate me...?

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones

Porcupine Tree

Steve Wilson

Radiohead

Metallica

Anthrax

Bon Jovi

KISS

Eagles

Ramones

John Mellencamp

Avenged Sevenfold

Korn

Linkin Park

Muse

Queen

Led Zeppelin

Steely Dan

Segue how could you? Muse? Queen? Doth thou hate me...?

I like Muse. I dislike Queen a teensy bit less.

They are both gratingly annoying to my ears buddy! Sawry!

Jimmy Page

I think people have used "sloppy" in reference to his actual technical proficiency on the guitar, though. For example, the Heartbreaker solo is pretty cool, but the way it's executed makes me think that a few more takes would have helped. The choices are awesome, and it sounds difficult, and all that, but it's a bit jerky, like Page was having some trouble with his picking. You don't hear any of that choppiness in solos that Lifeson played on the first Rush record.

I guess you can argue that "pure" rock n' roll isn't about perfection, that it's more an attitude thing - Page on stage with his groovy threads and dangling cigarette and low slung guitar and that look in his eyes - that's quintessentially rock n' roll cool, maybe. Combine that with the inventiveness and you've got the epitome of the rock guitarist, I guess. But I'll still take someone like Lifeson or Martin Barre, who are much cleaner players and came up with great guitar hooks and passionate solos (and still look cool on stage).

I love Zep, though, and I love Page's playing. And who knows, without Page, Rush as we know it would be very different.

I love the loose, "anyone could make this record" vibe of the first two zep albums. 70's prog is some of my favorite music, but sometimes it's too planned out, too "by the book," if that makes any sense, for when I just want to rock. so I'm glad guys like page exist, because if everyone was allan holdsworth music would get pretty boring.

I don't think I've ever listened to a guitarist and thought, "this should be more technical." but I'm coming from a different background than most people here. I was listening to the pixies and the ramones before I'd heard a rush album

• Like 2

I know this will bring a hailstorm of hate, but I cannot lie.

It's this man

http://www.ericclapton.com/sites/g/files/g2000004346/f/201409/1.jpg

No storm from me. He is the most overrated guitar player in the world. He was great on heroin but after that forget it.

Eric Crapton

• Like 1

Mick

DeYoung would have been a better Biggus Dickus in the Life of Brian musical.

• Like 3

Mick

i've seen the show a lot. The most overly flashy fem pilate i've ever seen. actually it wasn't pilate. it was just Deyoung as Deyoung who thought it was a Styx show. and it was a theater audience. sooooo totally lost on that crowd, lol

Mick

• Like 2

Mick

i've seen the show a lot. The most overly flashy fem pilate i've ever seen. actually it wasn't pilate. it was just Deyoung as Deyoung who thought it was a Styx show.

Mick

Can totally imagine that happening exactly as you state here.

Some casting or musical director thought it was a great idea. Think about that.

• Like 1

Mick

i've seen the show a lot. The most overly flashy fem pilate i've ever seen. actually it wasn't pilate. it was just Deyoung as Deyoung who thought it was a Styx show.

Mick

Can totally imagine that happening exactly as you state here.

Some casting or musical director thought it was a great idea. Think about that.

i know. and the other actors were professional theater actors. You know......training.......been on broadway.......you could see the embarrassment everytime they were around Deyoung on stage. i felt so bad. stunt casting at it's worst. Oh and i saw it a month later.....he was gone.......quit, fired? I dunno. And You could hear little old ladies reading the programs.

"who is this Dennis Deyoung. and what the hell is a Styx?

lol.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Jimmy Page

I love the loose, "anyone could make this record" vibe of the first two zep albums. 70's prog is some of my favorite music, but sometimes it's too planned out, too "by the book," if that makes any sense, for when I just want to rock. so I'm glad guys like page exist, because if everyone was allan holdsworth music would get pretty boring.

I don't think I've ever listened to a guitarist and thought, "this should be more technical." but I'm coming from a different background than most people here. I was listening to the pixies and the ramones before I'd heard a rush album

You know what I find kind of interesting, to your point? Despite the suggestion that Zeppelin was kind of loose and "jammy" live in the 70s, if you listen to The Song Remains the Same, How the West Was Won, The BBC Sessions and any number of bootlegs, their "jams" sound awfully similar.

• Like 1

Jimmy Page

You're dead to me, JARG. I find his blend of musicianship, writing, arranging, and producing to be unmatched. Good DAY, Sir!!!

• Like 1

I would go with:

Rolling Stones (probably the most overrated band in history)

The Beatles (2 great albums, many great pop songs, and a shitload of filler)

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Any modern heavy metal band

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

I would go with:

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

I love debating and arguing rock and roll. I basically disagree with you on almost all the bands you listed!

• Like 2

I would go with:

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

I love debating and arguing rock and roll. I basically disagree with you on almost all the bands you listed!

Me too save for a few. i mean Costello is WAY underrated.

Mick

• Like 1

I would go with:

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

Mick

The Eagles do suck though. Otherwise he's almost completely and totally wrong.

I would go with:

Elvis

The Beach Boys

Radiohead

The Police

Any punk band

The Velvet Underground

Talking Heads

Elvis Costello

Patti Smith

Frank Zappa

The Eagles

John Lennon

Mick

The Eagles do suck though. Otherwise he's almost completely and totally wrong.

For shits and giggles, if love to hear a defense of the Velvet Underground.