Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

Bon Jovi.

Pretty boys. Who i think couldn't give 2 shits about the music. one of the most transparent acts i know.

Mick

That doesn't say much for their fans then.

As you know I like The Police. But when I watched their Synchronicity Tour DVD, what turned me off the most, and which stops me from watching it more often, is their audience. Didn't they have any fans over 16? They must have been a modern-day Monkees.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

1. more.

Opeth.

My. god. From the responce you'd think these guys are the 2nd coming.

The 2nd the vocal belching starts......i'm out.

Mick

Have you ever heard their 3 clean albums? 2 of them are really good

No but i'll try em.'

Mick

1. more.

Opeth.

My. god. From the responce you'd think these guys are the 2nd coming.

The 2nd the vocal belching starts......i'm out.

Mick

Have you ever heard their 3 clean albums? 2 of them are really good

No but i'll try em.'

Mick

I say the latest, Pale Communion is like a sequel to Steven Wilson's Raven That Refused To Sing

• Like 1

Posting in this topic is based strictly on one's opinion. After all, anyone who is making $$ in the music business has to have enough IT factor appealing to enough fans who are willing to shell out the money and demand the product.

With that said, my nomination is Nickleback.

For those of us who aren't musicians, I would agree. But if you are a musician, then you would know what is bad, mediocre and good. I would think. But I may be wrong.

Also, I'm starting to think that talent isn't all that necessary to soar to the top if you have appeal and a wheeler and dealer pushing you. How that "appeal" gets defined is anyone's guess.

I am a musician (relatively speaking) and I disagree. Musicians can typically ascertain chops and technique which are meaningless without the songwriting. Everyone can decide if the songwriting is there but this part is subjective. Few would disagree that a guy like yngwie j malmsteen has amazing chops and technique. His songwriting is pedestrian. Few would disagree that bob Dylan is not a virtuoso instrumentalist. However, millions think he is a great songwriter and some don't. Neither of those groups can claim that they are correct. They just have different opinions.

• Like 2

Pink Floyd

Rolling Stones ----like them

Porcupine Tree -----love them

Steve Wilson-------ditto

Radiohead-------didn't like them at first, now I really like them

Metallica--------loved them immediately, now they're ok and overplayed.

Anthrax--------meh

Bon Jovi----------agreed, overrated

KISS------------one of the worst things that ever happened to music, overrated shit. Businessman masquerading as musicians

Eagles----------love them, hate Frey and Henley. Solid pop songs and Don Felder is fantastic.

Ramones-----agreed

John Mellencamp-------not a fan but a good writer and performer in studio

Avenged Sevenfold------love them

Korn--------never got them

Linkin Park--------love them, amazing and one of the best bands of the 00s

Muse-----------love them, fantastic stuff

Queen--------hit or miss but like them generally

Led Zeppelin---------wow, love them. Them and sabbath 2 of best bands in 70s.

Steely Dan----------love them

My comments next to each one.

• Like 2

Bon Jovi.

Pretty boys. Who i think couldn't give 2 shits about the music. one of the most transparent acts i know.

Mick

Not every band needs to be artistic. They were pop rockers, who created fun time rock without any showy displays of artistic grandeur, who adapted their music to fit the current musical climate.

Why is that such a big issue? Not every songwriter or band wants to push boundaries, some just want to please an audience, and the carefree, upbeat, rock and roll of Bon Jovi is not really all that far removed from the likes of Journey, another band that had a lot of success with music and lyrics that meant little about anything.

First 2 Bon Jovi albums are great pop rock

Thanks! My point exactly. They are not pretentious, not anymore so than a Toto, Journey or Survivor album.

I love Slippery When Wet, and New Jersey through to These Days at least attempted to be a little more than mere pomp rock.

Bands like Styx, Kansas, Journey and others all "sold out", took the commercial route and made money. Bon Jovi are different, in the sense they started exactly as they meant to go on, which was to make money. Bon Jovi had a dream, and it was to rock, not tell stories. What's the big deal?

Bon Jovi.

Mick

Not every band needs to be artistic. They were pop rockers, who created fun time rock without any showy displays of artistic grandeur, who adapted their music to fit the current musical climate.

Why is that such a big issue? Not every songwriter or band wants to push boundaries, some just want to please an audience, and the carefree, upbeat, rock and roll of Bon Jovi is not really all that far removed from the likes of Journey, another band that had a lot of success with music and lyrics that meant little about anything.

it's not an issue Segue. i just Violently inexplicably HATE this band. if i met any one of em. yuou'd have to restrain me :laughing guy: :laughing guy: Yea jon. Take your steel horse and your prayers and SHOVE IT. YA PRICK!!!!!!!! :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon: :moon:

that would be me, lol

it's true.

ickMi

Thanks! My point exactly. They are not pretentious, not anymore so than a Toto, Journey or Survivor album.

I love Slippery When Wet, and New Jersey through to These Days at least attempted to be a little more than mere pomp rock.

Bands like Styx, Kansas, Journey and others all "sold out", took the commercial route and made money. Bon Jovi are different, in the sense they started exactly as they meant to go on, which was to make money. Bon Jovi had a dream, and it was to rock, not tell stories. What's the big deal?

Pretentious and sold out are perceptions and opinions. I don't like journey but I don't believe they sold out, they just evolved same as doobies and Styx

Posting in this topic is based strictly on one's opinion. After all, anyone who is making $$ in the music business has to have enough IT factor appealing to enough fans who are willing to shell out the money and demand the product.

For those of us who aren't musicians, I would agree. But if you are a musician, then you would know what is bad, mediocre and good. I would think. But I may be wrong.

Also, I'm starting to think that talent isn't all that necessary to soar to the top if you have appeal and a wheeler and dealer pushing you. How that "appeal" gets defined is anyone's guess.

I am a musician (relatively speaking) and I disagree. Musicians can typically ascertain chops and technique which are meaningless without the songwriting. Everyone can decide if the songwriting is there but this part is subjective. Few would disagree that a guy like yngwie j malmsteen has amazing chops and technique. His songwriting is pedestrian. Few would disagree that bob Dylan is not a virtuoso instrumentalist. However, millions think he is a great songwriter and some don't. Neither of those groups can claim that they are correct. They just have different opinions.

But how would someone who isn't a musician know whether the person playing is genuinely talented? I may like the way a guitar (or bass or drums) sounds in a song, but the person playing may be mediocre at best and just playing something catchy.

I may say that I think soandso is a good guitar player, and you may come along and tell me no, he stinks and doesn't have much talent. See what I mean?

Forgive me, but who hasn't sold out? And don't say Rush. All of the bands had to evolve in order to stay relevant.

• Like 1

Forgive me, but who hasn't sold out? And don't say Rush. All of the bands had to evolve in order to stay relevant.

i hate the term Selling out with a firey passion. the band belongs to the band. they can do whatever they like. Don't like......don't listen. Cause whatever music a band makes will have an audience somewhere.

Mick

i hate the term Selling out with a firey passion. the band belongs to the band. they can do whatever they like. Don't like......don't listen. Cause whatever music a band makes will have an audience somewhere.

Mick

Forgive me. I'll remember in the future never to use the phrase when talking to you. :unsure:

• Like 2

But how would someone who isn't a musician know whether the person playing is genuinely talented? I may like the way a guitar (or bass or drums) sounds in a song, but the person playing may be mediocre at best and just playing something catchy.

I may say that I think soandso is a good guitar player, and you may come along and tell me no, he stinks and doesn't have much talent. See what I mean?

Even here there could be some disagreement. For example, a lot of people (including guitar players) think Prince is a great guitar player simply because he can play solos and because he's Prince. I find his playing very average and what you can find at the local guitar center in a Saturday afternoon. Usually there is some agreement though. I think the less skilled you are on an instrument the better you can write songs on it because you don't get stuck in scales and patterns. Difficult to answer. Maybe someone can come along and add a comment to make more sense.

• Like 1

I wasn't saying its a bad thing... It's just Bon Jovi never sold out. They sounded like that in the first place.

Eric Clapton? Are you kidding? He was the guitar god of the sixties until Jimmy Page came along.

Why is he so stinky?

Not stinky, just overrated. He's a brilliant traditional player, with beautiful tone. His material isn't that interesting to me, although I do love this album:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ZlBXMyGtL._SL1425_.jpg

Bon Jovi.

Mick

That doesn't say much for their fans then.

As you know I like The Police. But when I watched their Synchronicity Tour DVD, what turned me off the most, and which stops me from watching it more often, is their audience. Didn't they have any fans over 16? They must have been a modern-day Monkees.

http://k10mpp7ju8lz8v89.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/header-images/music_police_2.jpg

:unsure:

Randy Newman.

Guy couldn't write a good song to save his life.

sorry any newman fans, lol

Mick

So, this is just another uber-contrarian thread? OK.
  • Like 1

If he is so talentless, how did he make it so big and what sustains him after all these decades?

The longer I am here on TRF, the more I become convinced that someone like myself who is not a musician wouldn't know talent if it hit me in the face because if you are not a musician, what point of reference would someone have to gage talent?

Your ears and heart. That's enough.
  • Like 2

If he is so talentless, how did he make it so big and what sustains him after all these decades?

The longer I am here on TRF, the more I become convinced that someone like myself who is not a musician wouldn't know talent if it hit me in the face because if you are not a musician, what point of reference would someone have to gage talent?

Never said he wasn't talented, he's just not good.

You have to explain that one. Is he lazy?

He's an amazingly talented songwriter. I don;t like most of his stuff, but he's writes great songs. Should he be the rock god he's been made to be? I don't think so.
  • Like 1