Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

Springsteen and Dylan for me. Even if other music isn't my cup of tea I can typically see what their fans appreciate. With these two I simply do not get it. Typically, this type of comment gets feedback about their lyrics or writing. I don't get that either with them. I never will and it's ok and if you love them then I say good for you.

I have to agree 100% with you about Bob Dylan. Despised him in the sixties and still don't like him, and I have never understood his appeal. :huh:

I can understand the hate towards Dylan's vocals...which is the most common criticism. But lyrically I think he says so much. I like him.

Another artist that is a tremendous writer but just doesn't do it for me. His influence is undeniable, on musicians and writes alike. Probably not overrated in my view, for that reason.

If he is so talentless, how did he make it so big and what sustains him after all these decades?

The longer I am here on TRF, the more I become convinced that someone like myself who is not a musician wouldn't know talent if it hit me in the face because if you are not a musician, what point of reference would someone have to gage talent?

Your ears and heart. That's enough.

Thank you. I just thought the same a few minutes ago. Threads like this confuse me, but then I thought - who cares? I like what I like. Love what I love. If it speaks to me in some way, or helps to make a bright day brighter, or helps me get through a rough spot or two - that's all that matters.

• Like 3

Bon Jovi.

Pretty boys. Who i think couldn't give 2 shits about the music. one of the most transparent acts i know.

Mick

That doesn't say much for their fans then.

As you know I like The Police. But when I watched their Synchronicity Tour DVD, what turned me off the most, and which stops me from watching it more often, is their audience. Didn't they have any fans over 16? They must have been a modern-day Monkees.

http://k10mpp7ju8lz8v89.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/header-images/music_police_2.jpg

:unsure:

Have you ever watched the Synchronicity video? That's the only one I have, but their audience is really young. I looked in vain for someone in the audience who was my age when the album came out. They all look to be teen-agers, and one guy that makes me somehow think of how Bathory would act at a concert. :LOL:

• Like 2

is this for bands that are actually overrated, or is this for bands that we don't like but other people do? because in a world where history, influence and context exist, eric clapton, nirvana, led zeppelin, dylan and others I've seen mentioned don't qualify. even springsteen's had an impact on the rock world, just on nothing that we listen to.
  • Like 2

If he is so talentless, how did he make it so big and what sustains him after all these decades?

The longer I am here on TRF, the more I become convinced that someone like myself who is not a musician wouldn't know talent if it hit me in the face because if you are not a musician, what point of reference would someone have to gage talent?

Your ears and heart. That's enough.

Thank you. I just thought the same a few minutes ago. Threads like this confuse me, but then I thought - who cares? I like what I like. Love what I love. If it speaks to me in some way, or helps to make a bright day brighter, or helps me get through a rough spot or two - that's all that matters.

I'm sometimes bummed when songs of mass appeal don't do it for me. MJ's Thriller was that way for me for many years. I just wasn't interested. I can appreciate it now. Watching the posthumous film "This Is It" made me appreciate Michael more.

Not overrated, by the way. He's on a plane with Stevie Wonder.

• Like 1

Bon Jovi.

Pretty boys. Who i think couldn't give 2 shits about the music. one of the most transparent acts i know.

Mick

That doesn't say much for their fans then.

As you know I like The Police. But when I watched their Synchronicity Tour DVD, what turned me off the most, and which stops me from watching it more often, is their audience. Didn't they have any fans over 16? They must have been a modern-day Monkees.

http://k10mpp7ju8lz8v89.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/header-images/music_police_2.jpg

:unsure:

Have you ever watched the Synchronicity video? That's the only one I have, but their audience is really young. I looked in vain for someone in the audience who was my age when the album came out. They all look to be teen-agers, and one guy that makes me somehow think of how Bathory would act at a concert. :LOL:

:LOL:
  • Like 1

is this for bands that are actually overrated, or is this for bands that we don't like but other people do? because in a world where history, influence and context exist, eric clapton, nirvana, led zeppelin, dylan and others I've seen mentioned don't qualify. even springsteen's had an impact on the rock world, just on nothing that we listen to.

It is a thread for bands that you think get more attention, or love, or credit than they should. And bands or individual musicians you think aren't as talented as others may think they are.

• Like 1

It is a thread for bands that you think get more attention, or love, or credit than they should. And bands or individual musicians you think aren't as talented as others may think they are.

ah. I can understand the appeal of almost anything, but there are definitely a lot of "best bands ever" that I think are lame as hell.

How about The Doobie Brothers? They had a lot of commercial appeal like The Eagles.

Nonono how could anyone hate a band with doobie in it?

All kidding they had some quality tunes

• Like 1

How about The Doobie Brothers? They had a lot of commercial appeal like The Eagles.

Nonono how could anyone hate a band with doobie in it?

All kidding they had some quality tunes

They did, but no one ever mentions them on here so I was curious what everyone thinks of them.

You can lump Bon Jovi and that whole late 80s glam rock together. It was all crap

outside of TRF, I've never seen those bands get any acclaim! :D the only people who like bon jovi around my hometown are soccer moms

• Like 2

I like the dobbies with Tom Johnston. Once Michael Mcdonald came in they lost me. He has got one of the weirdest voices on the planet.

Have not heard any recent Doobie records though.

Mick

At least if you walked into a biker bar there's a good chance you'd hear some doobies. That reason alone keeps them off the shit list.

• Like 2

I like the dobbies with Tom Johnston. Once Michael Mcdonald came in they lost me. He has got one of the weirdest voices on the planet.

Mick

Mick, you are a music snob.

Forgot to add this for effect: :LOLsign:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Mick

Mick, you are a music snob.

He's Mikey from the life commercial he hates everything

• Like 2

I'm listening to Peter Frampton right now - Frampton Comes Alive.

:)

Are you all going to tell me how talentless he was? Maybe so, but this is one great album. They don't make them like this anymore.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I'm listening to Peter Frampton right now - Frampton Comes Alive.

:)

Are you all going to tell me how talentless he was? Maybe so, but this is one great album. They don't make them like this anymore.

Frampton deserves props. He got caught up in the teen idol bs

• Like 2