Most Overrated Band and/or Musician

Lorraine

Jim Morrison had a beautiful voice. Geddy should've been as lucky.

Why should have Geddy been as lucky? Would "Hemispheres" improve with Jim Morrison's crooning? Harry Nilsson had a beautiful voice. Jim Morrison should have been as lucky.

She never said Morrison should be in Rush.

She just implied that yes, there are better singers than the one in Rush. Just a simple, innocent comparison, not an attack on Rush or their music.

• Like 1

Why should have Geddy been as lucky? Would "Hemispheres" improve with Jim Morrison's crooning? Harry Nilsson had a beautiful voice. Jim Morrison should have been as lucky.

No. Hemispheres would have sounded awful had Jim been around to croon it.

What I am saying is that Jim Morrison (and someone like Justin Hayward who had a similar voice) had a more soothing singing voice than Geddy.

i didn't care for Harry Nilsson's voice.

What I am saying is that Jim Morrison (and someone like Justin Hayward who had a similar voice) had a more soothing singing voice than Geddy.

"So are you saying 2112 would sound better if Justin Hayward performed as the priests in the temple of Syrinx?"

Edited by Segue Myles

She just implied that yes, there are better singers than the one in Rush. Just a simple, innocent comparison, not an attack on Rush or their music.

Again, I could not care less if someone thinks a particular singer has a beautiful voice or is a better singer than whoever. But to tag on "should've been so lucky" implies a negative criticism. If Jim Morrison has a "beautiful" voice and Geddy would be lucky to have a voice like Jim Morrison, doesn't that imply Geddy does not have a beautiful voice? Personally, I think Jim Morrison is a one-note singer, no range and no variety. I can't say that about Geddy.

• Like 1

"So are you saying 2112 would sound better if Justin Hayward performed as the priests in the temple of Syrinx?"

No. What I am saying is that Tuesday Afternoon would have sounded better had Geddy shrieked it out. in that case, the album might have gone down as one of the first heavy metal rock operas. :) :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

• Like 1

Again, I could not care less if someone thinks a particular singer has a beautiful voice or is a better singer than whoever. But to tag on "should've been so lucky" implies a negative criticism. If Jim Morrison has a "beautiful" voice and Geddy would be lucky to have a voice like Jim Morrison, doesn't that imply Geddy does not have a beautiful voice? Personally, I think Jim Morrison is a one-note singer, no range and no variety. I can't say that about Geddy.

In my opinion.

I don't know anything about voice range. Or being a one-note singer. I can't sing and know nothing about the technicalities of singing or music. All I know is what I hear.

I brought this out the other day and said that maybe this means someone like me should just keep her opinions to herself since I can't give a professional opinion about musicians, but was told it didn't matter.

No. What I am saying is that Tuesday Afternoon would have sounded better had Geddy shrieked it out. in that case, the album might have gone down as one of the first heavy metal rock operas. :) :dweez: :dweez: :dweez: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Shall we just go back to discussing Mick's teenage love shenanigans?

• Like 1

;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-kjUWcr7d4

• Like 1

LOFL. Good one.

What a slippery slope this thread has gone down quickly. Can we get back to the topic at hand now?

Jim Morrison was fine if he was just singing. As a poet/lyricist...meh. I mean the best Morrison lyrics to me are stuff like Roadhouse Blues. Keep it simple.

• Like 2

Yes, and all of our criticisms of other bands are breaking their hearts as well as they figure out how many more tax shelters they can start to protect the millions they have made from the deaf and dumb fans. ;)

What? :eh:

Yes, and all of our criticisms of other bands are breaking their hearts as well as they figure out how many more tax shelters they can start to protect the millions they have made from the deaf and dumb fans. ;)

tis very funny. we're sitting at keyboards posturing. like we're authorities. They are somewhere laughing and doing whatever it is their rich selves do.

well the ones that are living.

lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Who?

where?

Mick

We can think all of these bands are overrated and not so chock full of talent, but they have made millions throughout the decades.

Yes, I know I am the one who started this thread. :smash: :smash: :smash:

Who?

where?

Mick

Why?

• Like 1

In my opinion.

I don't know anything about voice range. Or being a one-note singer. I can't sing and know nothing about the technicalities of singing or music. All I know is what I hear.

I brought this out the other day and said that maybe this means someone like me should just keep her opinions to herself since I can't give a professional opinion about musicians, but was told it didn't matter.

Continue to give your opinions. It's part of the debate. It's fun to argue this kind of stuff. Keep it up!

• Like 1

In my opinion.

You don't have to know anything about music or singing to be able to tell whether or not a singer has vocal range. Are you not able to tell the difference between when Geddy is going high, low or singing in a regular tone? It's pretty easy to hear the differences and tell who has vocal range and who doesn't. Geddy certainly has it. I don't know much about The Doors beyond their hits but Jim Morrison certainly sang everything in the same range and didn't seem to mix it up at all. Which is fine, that voice worked for him and a lot of singers find their one voice and stick with it. Maybe as time went on he would have experimented more with his vocals but we obviously will never know.

• Like 1

In my opinion.

You don't have to know anything about music or singing to be able to tell whether or not a singer has vocal range. Are you not able to tell the difference between when Geddy is going high, low or singing in a regular tone? It's pretty easy to hear the differences and tell who has vocal range and who doesn't. Geddy certainly has it. I don't know much about The Doors beyond their hits but Jim Morrison certainly sang everything in the same range and didn't seem to mix it up at all. Which is fine, that voice worked for him and a lot of singers find their one voice and stick with it. Maybe as time went on he would have experimented more with his vocals but we obviously will never know.

How can I tell "vocal range" when I don't even know what vocal range is?

I am someone who is impressed with anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, who can just carry a tune. I think Jim Morrison has a very soothing voice.

• Like 1