What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

I know I can speak for others when I say we're very sorry to hear that, Lorraine, and if we could do something for your situation, we would.

Agreed.

Seconded
  • Like 3

This may be small potatoes but missing my sweet Minnie cat, has been a year since we let her go to the Rainbow Bridge. :rose: :(

That's so sad.

When we moved here, I had only one cat left - Katie - she was 16 and, even though she found it hard to get around, was in decent shape. She survived being put in a cat carrier (the first time in her life) and the 15 mile ride. However, when she got here she was so scared that she wouldn't move. I fixed up a catbox for her and put out food and water and left her, for the time being, in the bathroom with the door open. We had to go back out and, when we arrived back home, she had walked out of the bathroom and peed on the hardwood floor in the living room. I cleaned it up the best I could and put her back in the bathroom and closed the door. The lady that helped me move showed up and I told her what Katie did and added that if she continued doing this, I'd have no option but to have her euthanized.

We went out for a few hours to look for furniture. When I got home, the first thing I noticed was Katie's bed in the garbage can on the porch. I went inside and the bathroom door was wide open and Katie was gone - her cat carrier was gone - her food and water dish gone.

Long story short, the woman took it upon herself to bring my cat who-knows-where and have her killed. I was devastated. What made it worse, was my husband, who never lifted a finger in 30 years to help with the cats, took it upon himself to rub what I did in.

I think I've posted this before, but the realization that the husband I once had is gone and never coming back is devastating. Instead of a man who is capable of intelligent conversations, I'm left with a man who sits and watches videos about mummies, sunken boats and treasures, monkeys, polar bears, and gorillas, and who is good only at small talk.

Oh Lorraine, I am so sorry, what a dreadful thing to have happen. I am shocked that someone would take it upon themselves to take a precious pet away from you, without considering your feelings. You had just moved your whole life to a new place and to have Katie kidnapped was cruel beyond words. I wish I knew what I could do to help you, this is just so terrible. If it was me, that woman wouldn't dare show herself or I'd wring her neck!

I was so hoping the change of place would help you and you said there would be some family nearby to help. It reminds me of my divorce, I felt like he was a stranger as we grew apart and wondered how I never knew the real guy. Your situation is worse because he is there but the real person has left. I will keep you in my thoughts, take care :hug2:

My husband has had two strokes on each side of his brain. The last stroke did him in mentally.

This has nothing to do with anyone helping me or support. This has to do with living with a man who is no longer an adult in many ways and is no longer capable of any meaningful conversation. If we had nothing else, he always was a good listening ear and saw things often in a better way than I did. I could talk to him about things. That's all gone now. Now I talk to myself.

I know that you face this all alone and I thought I remembered you saying your move would put you in closer proximity of some relatives who you could get help from, it would be nice to know you do have support. I can't imagine how hard it has been and you have endured so much. I only wish I could do something more for you like Nova Carmina said. :( :hug2:

Within the confines of this forum environment, you will always have friends here Lorraine who can lend you an ear (even a silly old Johnny-come-lately duffer from Ireland like myself!). Edited by zepphead
  • Like 3

Someone stole my credit/debit card info - AGAIN - and was using it to get cash with a cash app. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cash app until I called the bank today to inquire what all these cash transactions were on my statement.

This is the second time this has happened to me in two years. The last time, someone was using my card for Lyft/Uber rides in San Francisco.

Someone stole my credit/debit card info - AGAIN - and was using it to get cash with a cash app. I didn't even know there was such a thing as a cash app until I called the bank today to inquire what all these cash transactions were on my statement.

This is the second time this has happened to me in two years. The last time, someone was using my card for Lyft/Uber rides in San Francisco.

Sorry to hear this, Lorraine. I hope the bank was cooperative.

re: the app, my daughter loves to use the zelle app, and I know venmo is also very popular, as well as applepay and googlepay. I'm not crazy about e-transfers, though.

Edited by goose
  • Like 2

re: the app, my daughter loves to use the zelle app, and I know venmo is also very popular, as well as applepay and googlepay. I'm not crazy about e-transfers, though.

The bank is very cooperative. I've been with them for a very long time.

• Like 4

I'm glad they are working with you. I haven't had it happen with cash apps (just my sister uses them) but had to have a credit card replaced lately. They sent me a fraud alert; someone was trying to buy a 5000.00 guitar in Austin, Texas. I hope it was one of Alex's ones, anyway! I hope they can clear this up soon for you!

• Like 3

I'm glad they are working with you. I haven't had it happen with cash apps (just my sister uses them) but had to have a credit card replaced lately. They sent me a fraud alert; someone was trying to buy a 5000.00 guitar in Austin, Texas. I hope it was one of Alex's ones, anyway! I hope they can clear this up soon for you!

I don't even know what a cash app is.

This is making me very paranoid. I'm afraid to use the card on-line now, but that's where I order my books and other stuff.

I don't even know what a cash app is.

This is making me very paranoid. I'm afraid to use the card on-line now, but that's where I order my books and other stuff.

Yes, I really don't have an idea where places/people get our information! Actually I do have an idea about the Austin one, but what can you do. I had called Comcast, which usually bills us, about some questions I had and the customer service person wanted to list a credit card as backup on our account or something. It didn't ring any bells with me so I gave them the number and then the next day the guitar thing happened. I honestly think they just took my number. I reported it but they were not helpful, except for shutting down that card right away. I think online stuff is usually pretty safe for things; I have never had a problem with that.

Last couple days have been really scary.

My grandmother had leukemia back in the ‘80s and was told at one point that she had hours to live. But she pulled through somehow, and decades later she’s still cancer-free. But the chemo ravaged her body, and that, along with old age, has led to a multitude of health issues. Most troubling is the fact that her kidneys are failing. She’s had countless procedures, dialysis, medications; you name it, she’s done it, short of getting a transplant, which she is unable to. Anyway, for the last few years—and the last few months in particular—she’s been on so much morphine she can hardly stay awake most of the time. Last week it was decided that she was going to stop taking morphine, but there was one problem—she was addicted. So her doctor prescribed her oxytocin instead. Fast forward to yesterday, and she’s in the hospital having suffered a massive heart attack. We’re not sure yet if it was an OD on oxytocin or if it was withdrawal from the morphine, or what. She was put into a medically-induced coma with a ventilator, and I seriously thought we were going to lose her. I was mentally preparing myself all day.

Around 8:30 my dad is told by a nurse that Grandma pulled the ventilator right out of her and was breathing under her own power, so we think her condition is improving. She’s in and out of consciousness, but she is breathing. It looks like she might pull through after all, but I’m still steeling myself for that terrible phone call. I’ve never lost anyone so close before. I’m not sure how I would handle it, and I don’t want to find out. :(

• Like 1

My grandmother had leukemia back in the ‘80s and was told at one point that she had hours to live. But she pulled through somehow, and decades later she’s still cancer-free. But the chemo ravaged her body, and that, along with old age, has led to a multitude of health issues. Most troubling is the fact that her kidneys are failing. She’s had countless procedures, dialysis, medications; you name it, she’s done it, short of getting a transplant, which she is unable to. Anyway, for the last few years—and the last few months in particular—she’s been on so much morphine she can hardly stay awake most of the time. Last week it was decided that she was going to stop taking morphine, but there was one problem—she was addicted. So her doctor prescribed her oxytocin instead. Fast forward to yesterday, and she’s in the hospital having suffered a massive heart attack. We’re not sure yet if it was an OD on oxytocin or if it was withdrawal from the morphine, or what. She was put into a medically-induced coma with a ventilator, and I seriously thought we were going to lose her. I was mentally preparing myself all day.

Around 8:30 my dad is told by a nurse that Grandma pulled the ventilator right out of her and was breathing under her own power, so we think her condition is improving. She’s in and out of consciousness, but she is breathing. It looks like she might pull through after all, but I’m still steeling myself for that terrible phone call. I’ve never lost anyone so close before. I’m not sure how I would handle it, and I don’t want to find out. :(

That's a hard one to go through. I lost my MIL in 2015, sudden heart attack and then next year my Mom started failing. I took time off work to help her and it was so hard to see her fight but she didn't make it. It is difficult to advise anyone on what to do, we all have our different ways of coping, but spend as much time with her as you can. If possible (and if she wants to) talk about happier times, cherished memories. Also make sure to care for yourself, have some routines that give you some private time and do what your gut tells you to do. Your Grandma sounds like a real fighter, hats off to her! Take care of yourself. :hug2:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

I hope you get this cleared up Lorraine. It's a big help if your bank is cooperative, makes the process less stressful for you. Hopefully with new account details your funds will be secure again.
  • Like 1

That's a hard one to go through. I lost my MIL in 2015, sudden heart attack and then next year my Mom started failing. I took time off work to help her and it was so hard to see her fight but she didn't make it. It is difficult to advise anyone on what to do, we all have our different ways of coping, but spend as much time with her as you can. If possible (and if she wants to) talk about happier times, cherished memories. Also make sure to care for yourself, have some routines that give you some private time and do what your gut tells you to do. Your Grandma sounds like a real fighter, hats off to her! Take care of yourself. :hug2:

Yes, thoughts and prayers are with you from this side of the pond Disk98.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry to hear about your granny. I hope she didn't damage her throat when she pulled out the ventilator. It's not easy living with something like this happening.

Disk, you aren't a kid anymore. You have to steel yourself for things like this to happen. It's a part of life and living. You can't avoid it. Each and every one of us must go through it at one time or another. Dying and death is something no one can avoid. It's not easy to deal with, but we have to do it. It's important to develop coping skills.

• Like 2

Well, Grandma called us today. That’s a good sign. Her cardiologist said she’s doing well. No word on when she’s able to go home yet, but she sounded strong today. Things appear to be looking up. :)
  • Like 5

Well, Grandma called us today. That’s a good sign. Her cardiologist said she’s doing well. No word on when she’s able to go home yet, but she sounded strong today. Things appear to be looking up. :)

I'm glad to hear this! I hope you get to spend some time with her soon. :hug2:

• Like 2

Your Granny is a fighter.

• Like 2

My former hometown of Newport, KY has opted out of supporting the annual Riverfest spectacle this Labor Day weekend.

For 40 years, Newport and Cincinnati, along with classic rock station WEBN and its sponsors, have held a massive Riverfest event. The highlight is a humongous fireworks display from the Ohio River. Approximately 500,000 people come to the riverfront (250,000 on each river bank) to enjoy the fireworks, which are shot off in synch with a musical soundtrack made by WEBN.

I'm sad that the Fireworks will most probably be cancelled, but I'm happy that it's being done for the right reasons.

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

2,750 TONS of ammonium nitrate explode in a Beirut port. Over 135 dead, over 5,000 wounded.

A freaking MUSHROOM CLOUD in Beirut..... :(

• Like 2

2,750 TONS of ammonium nitrate explode in a Beirut port. Over 135 dead, over 5,000 wounded.

A freaking MUSHROOM CLOUD in Beirut..... :(

...and it's been sitting there for 6 years. No one didn't come around and say 'hey, you know you really shouldn't have this huge quantity of this stuff in one spot...at a port...in a city'.

Store some nuclear warheads in my pole barn out back? Sure no problem.

I mock the Fireworks store that's right next to a Shell station on the busiest street in my area.

Stupid human beings.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 1

After years of dealing with mental and physical illness, and being placed under the State of Michigan's "protection", Karen's mother passed away this morning.

After years of dealing with mental and physical illness, and being placed under the State of Michigan's "protection", Karen's mother passed away this morning.

I'm so sorry, PJ. :hug2: :hug2: What a year of loss it has been for you. Sending positive thoughts and wishing you some comfort.

• Like 3

I'm so sorry, PJ. :hug2: :hug2: What a year of loss it has been for you. Sending positive thoughts and wishing you some comfort.

Ditto, pj.

It's been a rough year for you.

• Like 2

I have to have a colonoscopy. I have blood in my stool from some type of gastrointestinal problem

Hope it's not what I fear it might be. I don't mind dying, but I don't want to go via cancer.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I have to have a colonoscopy. I have blood in my stool from some type of gastrointestinal problem

Hope it's not what I fear it might be. I don't mind dying, but I don't want to go via cancer.

:hug2: Hope everything turns out ok!

• Like 3