Face Up from Roll the Bones

JohnRogers

There's a few songs on that album that I rather enjoy. Sure, the album is not a rocker, but they were still in transition. All that aside, RTB does not get a lot of airplay on my devices. There's better stuff out there, but I wouldn't call it terrible. Even Rush's worst stuff is more palatable than a lot of the drivel out there.
  • Like 1

its funny roll the bones was sort of a comeback for rush in radio in 91 after a long absence from mainstream. it did alot better than presto on rock stations. 3 main cuts. title track dreamline and ghost.. I dont remmeber hearing anything off presto at all, as far as philly radio goes.. Maybe show dont tell got played once on mtv...

Roll the Bones gave them 3 top-ten singles, plus Bravado that peaked at #13. Go figure.

I happen to like Face Up, but I guess I'm in the minority here.

I like it too. Its a fun tune. Also dig The Big Wheel, Ghost, and sometimes Neurotica.

While certainly not a top album by any stretch, RTB isnt as bad as many say it is. And song-wise, I prefer it as a listen above anything from VT through CA.

Edited by greg2112

If RTB was the first I ever heard from Rush, I may have been hesitant to pursue them further. Face Up does nothing for me either way. There are other songs on this album that are less inspiring. Bravado is the only one I really like. This album is the first one in the catalog that I was disappointed with after first listen. In fact, I have not listened to it all the way through in years.

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

All classic Rush in my book.

The album was quite a comeback from the flop that was Presto.

Edited by Todem

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

The Big Wheel

Ghost Of A Chance

Five songs I absolutely love. But the crud makes RTB a 4/10 for me. If only Rush would have made this an EP...

Edited by Segue Myles

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

Oh shush. Presto is only a notch below Moving Pictures.

its funny roll the bones was sort of a comeback for rush in radio in 91 after a long absence from mainstream. it did alot better than presto on rock stations. 3 main cuts. title track dreamline and ghost.. I dont remmeber hearing anything off presto at all, as far as philly radio goes.. Maybe show dont tell got played once on mtv...

Roll the Bones gave them 3 top-ten singles, plus Bravado that peaked at #13. Go figure.

Probably because those songs are both excellent and approachable and not drenched in synths. It was some of their best work since '82.

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

Moving Pictures is the penthouse apartment on the top floor, Presto is the utility closet in the parking garage.
  • Like 2

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

Moving Pictures is the penthouse apartment on the top floor, Presto is the utility closet in the parking garage.

I do like Presto, but yeah. It is nowhere near the sheer majesty that is Moving Pictures.

Dreamline

Bravado

Roll The Bones

Wheres My Thing

Ghost Of A Chance

:LOL:

Face Up is not a bad song, but it's not very good either. I like Roll the Bones as a record more than most, and when listening to it from start to finish, Face Up never makes me reach for the skip button, but I never seek it out on its own.

Revisiting Roll the Bones since my last listen in 1998. I feel like I have just heard Face Up for the first time, granted it was just back ground not active listening but my thoughts were "garbage".

Quite possibly their worst song.

Revisiting Roll the Bones since my last listen in 1998. I feel like I have just heard Face Up for the first time, granted it was just back ground not active listening but my thoughts were "garbage".

Worse than Anagram?

Face Up is like Superconductor II. And that's not really a good thing.

Worse than Anagram?

Face Up is like Superconductor II. And that's not really a good thing.

I find myself trying to reach that dial inside--to turn it off!

It's a great album just let down by the cr*ppy sound production got no oomph to it at all, obviously noticed and completely rectified in counterparts

A far-fetched possibility. YBYL is easily the worst on RTB alone.