Why is 90% of the people on this forum jerks?

YYZumbi

But I mean I see people making jokes about him around the forum. I understand the flac he's gotten in this thread, it seems to be well deserved here.

Well, his antics take place all over the forum, so people give him a hard time all over.

Hmmmmm. Let me think about that one for a second. Sadly it makes sense to me. He will have a much more pleasant experience here if he learns a lesson or two and takes the advice he has gotten from some folks here to heart. I doubt he is a bad person but being a hard head is making him appear that way.....
  • Like 2

All I know is he lost me with the feedback thread. asking for answers/opinions. then pitching a hissy fit when they're constructively given. Forget him.......he lost sympathy from me, sorry.

This is probably the worst of it. He asks for people's opinions and when they give them (even when they're on topic and not insulting towards him) he either tells them they're wrong or gets into a petty little argument.

• Like 3

Trust me. TRF is a lot better than other forums I've been on.

For instance, at least there isn't any college drop outs who are heterophobic and still pretend to be 8 years old. (Don't ask me how I got there. I'm gone from that godawful place thankfully)

It's funny how he'll come in here and occasionally provide an emotional remark to one person's post but won't respond to the ones that are answering the question of his thread title.

x1yyz said everything perfectly but he's probably too busy getting upset at us to read it and respond thoughtfully.

I have read it... but I dont agree with it!

Talk of a peaceable kingdom

Talk of a time without fear

The ones we wish would listen

Are never going to hear

• Like 2

It's funny how he'll come in here and occasionally provide an emotional remark to one person's post but won't respond to the ones that are answering the question of his thread title.

x1yyz said everything perfectly but he's probably too busy getting upset at us to read it and respond thoughtfully.

Talk of a time without f

Are never going to hear

Damn you"re good. :notworthy: BTW this exclamation point in the response speaks volumes.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I've found the forum to be a generally nice place outside of SOCN. The users are for the most part quite agreeable. I'd say that the amount of jerks is closer to 10% than to 90%.

While I can't speak with how you've been interacting with people on the forum, while on chat you always call people wrong or insinuate that they're idiots for having an opinion that doesn't line up with your own no matter how justified it may be. Perhaps you're confusing being a jerk with reactions to your own remarks. People tend to want to have discussions on forums. Shooting them down like you do does not create an environment for interesting or friendly discussions. I've noticed that when people do this, not just on the forum it comes off as rude and arrogant and tends to attract similar responses.

While you don't do it all the time, I think you'll notice a drop in hostility on the forum if you simply refrain from telling people that their opinions about Rush are outright wrong.

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 3

I always try to keep things in check when talking online. Never forget that you're dealing with actual people! Some people don't feel they need to be accountable when you're not face to face

It's just like road rage, you make a mistake on the road and you get honking and people telling you to fukk off with their finger.. The same thing happens with pedestrians on the sidewalk and you get "excuse me, oh geez I'm sorry, no problem.."

• Like 1

Talk of a time without f

Are never going to hear

Damn you"re good. :notworthy: BTW this exclamation point in the response speaks volumes....

That song came up right about the time I was reading this thread and it seemed to apply :)

• Like 1

I've found the forum to be a generally nice place outside of SOCN. The users are for the most part quite agreeable. I'd say that the amount of jerks is closer to 10% than to 90%.

While I can't speak with how you've been interacting with people on the forum, while on chat you always call people wrong or insinuate that they're idiots for having an opinion that doesn't line up with your own no matter how justified it may be. Perhaps you're confusing being a jerk with reactions to your own remarks. People tend to want to have discussions on forums. Shooting them down like you do does not create an environment for interesting or friendly discussions. I've noticed that when people do this, not just on the forum it comes off as rude and arrogant and tends to attract similar responses.

While you don't do it all the time, I think you'll notice a drop in hostility on the forum if you simply refrain from telling people that their opinions about Rush are outright wrong.

I usually respond to his opinions with harsh opinions of my own. :D

Seeing how he has responded to people in various places on this forum, has made me question wether the Internet is a good place for him. He seems very angry.

From what I have seen on the board I think you hit the nail on the head. Being a not nice individual and having anger/temper issues are not necessarily one in the same....
  • Like 1

Zumbi, I'll be serious here for a moment and respond. Some people are jerks because the world is filled with jerks. In my experience, less than 90% of TRF are jerks. Your experience is different because of the way you interact with people.

Think about this for a moment—you've come online and made dozens of threads about whether the band should play this song or that song. Those threads get old very fast. You ask why people don't consider Feedback to be a "real" Rush album, then when they answer you you tell them you are wrong. You make a thread that's all about your 2112th post and tell us how that's going to be your last, then you come back. You posted something childish about how someone on the bus said something less-than-good about Rush so you were going to "punch them in the face"--was that to impress us? If so, it didn't work. All it did was show us you are a jerk.

You are a huge Rush fan—great! So are we! And most of us are here to hang out, talk about whatever, and maybe make friends. I realize you are young and still have a lot to learn about social interaction (I know I certainly did when I was a teenager, and when I was in my 20s) so maybe you can take the opportunity to start learning now. Try saying nice things. Stop caring about how many posts you've made. Start realizing we all have different tastes and nothing you say is going to change that.

He's gonna think this is mean but you did him a favor. Very brave and beautifully written. I just hope he takes it to heart and appreciates it....

It wasn't written to be mean, just to let him know what others are thinking. And that he can change that.

In a related subject, I wonder how different my life would have been if I grew up with the Internet and the ability to chat with all sorts of different people. Maybe I would have learned more social graces sooner? Maybe I would have been less naive? Maybe I would have found some older people (old, like 30!) who could have given my very lost teenage self some guidance.

The Internet is cool.

Indeed it is.

I found this place when I was 12 and I've been active ever since.

But yet

I still cant get into SOCN

You mean you can't get into it as in, it's just not your thing? It's really not my thing. Too much arguing and too few open minds.

Nono,

I can't be in it as in I dont have access. I've PM'd 73 but he never replied.

The first time you asked on the board, back when you were 14, I told you I thought you were too young for SOCN, and a few others agreed. Sixteen seems old enough. You're in.

Thank goodness there isn't a minimum mental age for SOCN access, the place would be a cricket infested ghost-town!!

• Like 2

Seeing how he has responded to people in various places on this forum, has made me question wether the Internet is a good place for him. He seems very angry.

Hmmm, I've heard of the melancholy Dane before ( ;) ) but never the irascible Swede.

• Like 2

fell foul of him last night in chat...I refused to accept that Rush were awesome in every way and dared to say i thought they were a better live band in the 80s and provoked another spewing of moral outrage....apparently I'm "boring" which I will interpret as having a different opinion to his.
  • Like 5

fell foul of him last night in chat...I refused to accept that Rush were awesome in every way and dared to say i thought they were a better live band in the 80s and provoked another spewing of moral outrage....apparently I'm "boring" which I will interpret as having a different opinion to his.

That encounter (on top of everything else) makes him seem like the kind of person who would stalk the band members.

Fodder for a bad B movie: An obsessed Swedish fan kidnaps Geddy, Neil, and Alex and imprisons them in his basement. A basement which has been furnished with the requisite instruments and equipment - a rough sort of stage setup. Occasionally he'll mutter something along the lines of "showing those TRF wankers".

Rush is forced to record a series of "music videos" which OP then posts to TRF. Any hint of an uncooperative spirit on the part of the band is met with threats of withholding weed, high-dollar Scotch, wine, blood pressure medication and fiber supplements.

• Like 5

Fridge, was that you on the chat the other day who posted a video of something that was "better than 2112 and Hemispheres"? I think that set him off as well. What was the video after all? I couldn´t open it.

Fridge, was that you on the chat the other day who posted a video of something that was "better than 2112 and Hemispheres"? I think that set him off as well. What was the video after all? I couldn´t open it.

No, wasn't me mate.....