List Overrated Films

Mr. Not

The lion king........my god.......the lion King.

Mick

This, times ten.. no twenty. And I like most animated Disney flicks.

THANK YOU!!!! finally someone else, lol

It's complete crap.

Mick

Any film that so shamelessly rips off another piece of work deserves no praise

Kimba The White Lion was one of my favorite cartoons as a kid, so when I first saw The Lion King, I was like WTF

Leave it to Disney

Kimba the white lion was also based on Hamlet and the tales of Joseph and Moses?

Wow.

Neither Hamlet, Joseph or Moses were lions, or animals for that matter ... Kimba at least had a thread of creativity in it

The Lion King was simply incest

Probably something you'd dig based on all that messed up Asian horror you parade around as quality.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/aTHtymMJIV1Uk/giphy.gif

• Like 1

Anything Johnny Depp is in.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? That didn't get much praise at all. It's one of the very few Depp movies I enjoy. Also, whether you liked the book or not, it was one of the closest book to film adaptations that comes to mind.

I also like the following Depp movies:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Donnie Brasco

Sleepy Hollow

Chocolat

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Ed Wood is his best movie.

I have seen all those movies but I didn't care for any of them except Pirates of the Caribbean. I think he generally overacts.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas? That didn't get much praise at all. It's one of the very few Depp movies I enjoy. Also, whether you liked the book or not, it was one of the closest book to film adaptations that comes to mind.

Donnie Brasco

Sleepy Hollow

Chocolat

I have seen all those movies but I didn't care for any of them except Pirates of the Caribbean. I think he generally overacts.

Overacts. You know, I can't think of a movie star actor who can't be criticized for overacting. I guess it's all about personal preference.

• Like 2

Donnie Brasco

Sleepy Hollow

Chocolat

Overacts. You know, I can't think of a movie star actor who can't be criticized for overacting. I guess it's all about personal preference.

I'm with you.

When it comes to overacting, I automatically think of Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys. But a peak into that Brad Pitt thread and 12 Monkeys is cited many times as one of his best films. Ah well.

• Like 2

I think the keyword here is "overrated" - not necessarily "bad" ( even though some are )

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

How in the hell is Citizen Kane "over rated"? A movie that is among the most groundbreaking in the history of cinema cannot be overrated. It can't.

oh yes it can

There is no denying that it is a fine movie .. But not GOAT .. It just doesn't move me like a candidate for GOAT should

Granted, any film with such lofty expectations is going to have a backlash, but I just don't feel that it can fill the jock strap of many other - better - films

And what films would be better? Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't on the very short list of GOAT.

Hunger Games.

I've only seen part 1 but man was that a let down after hearing so much about it.

Everything in it seemed cheap, hokey, or stolen. I cared about none of the characters and barely even got through it. I don't even remember how it ended.

• Like 1

Tarantino films, as a whole, are grossly overrated because film buffs want us to be amazed at the dialogue and all that artsy bûllshït...whatever. He's an annoying f**k who thinks an abundance of violence and profanity makes for a deep movie.
  • Like 2

Tarantino films, as a whole, are grossly overrated because film buffs want us to be amazed at the dialogue and all that artsy bûllshït...whatever. He's an annoying f**k who thinks an abundance of violence and profanity makes for a deep movie.

Tarantino has a 3-6 record with me. The last thing I liked of his was Jackie Brown with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs being the other two that I liked.

The Kill Bills were awful and the crappiness has continued since then IMHO.

That last one, The Hateful Eight, was a big waste of time. But did people like that? I don't know if they did or not but I couldn't get any pleasure out of it.

Tarantino has a 3-6 record with me. The last thing I liked of his was Jackie Brown with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs being the other two that I liked.

That last one, The Hateful Eight, was a big waste of time. But did people like that? I don't know if they did or not but I couldn't get any pleasure out of it.

His shtick wears thin.

• Like 2

i agree. still nothing can take away that he made Pulp Fiction. Which is really one of favorite films of all time.

Mick

• Like 1

Going by the user ratings on IMDb's Top 250, starting with the top 25 all of which I've seen and all of which I give a positive grade of 6 or better: Dark Knight 8.9, Lord OTR:ROTK 8.9, Lord OTR:FOTR 8.8, Star Wars: ESB 8.7, Forrest Gump, 8.7, Inception 8.7, Lord OTR:TT 8.7, Star Wars 8.6, It's A Wonderful Life 8.6, Life Is Beautiful 8.6.

He'll agree with you on Death Proof.

I think the keyword here is "overrated" - not necessarily "bad" ( even though some are )

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

How in the hell is Citizen Kane "over rated"? A movie that is among the most groundbreaking in the history of cinema cannot be overrated. It can't.

oh yes it can

There is no denying that it is a fine movie .. But not GOAT .. It just doesn't move me like a candidate for GOAT should

Granted, any film with such lofty expectations is going to have a backlash, but I just don't feel that it can fill the jock strap of many other - better - films

And what films would be better? Just because YOU don't like it doesn't mean it isn't on the very short list of GOAT.

I never said that I didn't like Citizen Kane .. But for me, it is not in the discussion of GOAT ... It is a good film .. It was influential .. It just doesn't grab me the way it does others ..

Greatest Of All Time can be different than Favorite, but when speaking personally, there is an overlap - but no one film for me is the GREATEST of all time ... Having said that, these come to mind before CK, spanning all eras:

- Black Narcissus

- Taxi Driver

- Spirit Of The Beehive

- Vertigo

- Annie Hall

- Through A Glass Darkly

- The Deer Hunter

- Rashomon

- Blow Up

- 2001: A Space Odyssey

- North By Northwest

- M

- Seven Samurai

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

- The Tenant

Donnie Brasco

Sleepy Hollow

Chocolat

Well sure. All of these threads on the forum are personal opinion, that's all any of us can offer. None of this is set in stone anywhere. :)

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

I never said that I didn't like Citizen Kane .. But for me, it is not in the discussion of GOAT ... It is a good film .. It was influential .. It just doesn't grab me the way it does others ..

Greatest Of All Time can be different than Favorite, but when speaking personally, there is an overlap - but no one film for me is the GREATEST of all time ... Having said that, these come to mind before CK, spanning all eras:

- Black Narcissus

- Taxi Driver

- Spirit Of The Beehive

- Vertigo

- Annie Hall

- Through A Glass Darkly

- The Deer Hunter

- Rashomon

- Blow Up

- 2001: A Space Odyssey

- North By Northwest

- M

- Seven Samurai

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

- The Tenant

Every film on that list that I have seen I would rank higher than CK.

Black Narcissus the most.

• Like 1

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

- Black Narcissus - never saw

- Taxi Driver - great but not better

- Spirit Of The Beehive - no idea

- Vertigo - another great, but maybe not even Hitch's best

- Annie Hall - never saw

- Through A Glass Darkly - no idea

- The Deer Hunter - never saw

- Rashomon - awesome movie

- Blow Up - i liked it, but come on now

- 2001: A Space Odyssey - no desire to see this

- North By Northwest - my favorite Hitch movie and a top 5 all time for me. But better than CK, nope

- M - great movie, but not even close to CK

- Seven Samurai - ok, maybe

- One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest - great movie, but sorry

- The Tenant - no idea

My comments provided. For your reading pleasure ! :)

Edited by Mithrandir
  • Like 1

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

- Annie Hall - never saw

- North By Northwest - my favorite Hitch movie and a top 5 all time for me. But better than CK, nope

- The Tenant - no idea

We could also get into leaning toward personal preference - which is valid criteria .. But with "GOAT" I think that there needs to be a certain amount of broad appeal that reaches more than just a handful of people

Highly debatable would be a movie such as Pacino's Scarface

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

- Annie Hall - never saw

- The Tenant - no idea

We could also get into leaning toward personal preference - which is valid criteria .. But with "GOAT" I think that there needs to be a certain amount of broad appeal that reaches more than just a handful of people

Scarface has an 83% approval rating on RottenTomatoes. A good score.

A remake of Scarface is set to be released in August 2018.

Diego Luna is cast in the lead role.

The Coen Brothers are writing the script.

You may now proceed to go apeshit and destroy the abilities of Luna and/or the Coen Brothers. :LOL:

• Like 1

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

- Annie Hall - never saw

- The Tenant - no idea

You may now proceed to go apeshit and destroy the abilities of Luna and/or the Coen Brothers. :LOL:

Coens are the reason I'll see it. They did a good job with Bridge Of Spies for Spielberg.

Off the top of the head:

- Forrest Gump

- Raging Bull

- Goodfellas

- Gone With The Wind

- Citizen Kane

oh yes it can

- Annie Hall - never saw

- The Tenant - no idea

Coens are the reason I'll see it. They did a good job with Bridge Of Spies for Spielberg.

They nailed it with True Grit.
  • Like 2