List Overrated Films

Mr. Not

I think The Sixth Sense is over-rated and it's so-called twist was obvious.

Other films that fall into the over-rated basket, IMO:

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

Brazil—I agree. Gran Torino—yer on crack. Shawshank—hmmm beginning to think you miss yer lady friend fron SOCN.

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

Brazil—I agree. Gran Torino—yer on crack. Shawshank—hmmm beginning to think you miss yer lady friend fron SOCN.

Shawshank is currently rated the best film of all time on IMDB. It is therefore over-rated. Gran Torino is one long cliché and you you can pretty much guess the film's denouement.

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

Shawshank is currently rated the best film of all time on IMDB. It is therefore over-rated. Gran Torino is one long cliché and you you can pretty much guess the film's denouement.

Still a real good flick Dragonlady

• Like 1

And the sad reality was that M. Night Shyamalan thought he could repeat the formula with Signs, but by that time, it became a joyless exercise in futility for a movie goer.

• Like 2

I'm enjoying this thread but appreciate the posts where a case is made for why a movie is overrated instead of just "I hate _____". Just because you hate it doesn't mean it's overrated.

well, to explain Titanic.. It's the film that is referenced, spoofed, and most of all mimicked by couples more often than any other film I can think of... I get the feeling it's to be "timeless", sure has been so far, and really? It's not a great film. It's just a tragic romance which I find has little to offer. The only bit I can think of which was great was the flooding scene, that was well done.

Of course I'm biased since I dislike romance films as a general rule, but... Some films can be so prevalent in culture that it's almost as if you don't even need to see the damn thing, people will tell you all about all the time anyway.

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

I have yet to see Brazil in full. Watched the first 20 minutes then turned it off because I dislike drug trip simulators.

• Like 1

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

I have yet to see Brazil in full. Watched the first 20 minutes then turned it off because I dislike drug trip simulators.

Sadly, it takes effort to make it through that thing.

I think our friend from the UK misses the boat on "Rocky"...for the third time during my TRF membership I'm seeing signs of destabilization from someone I respect and emulate. Oh Tony

I'm enjoying this thread but appreciate the posts where a case is made for why a movie is overrated instead of just "I hate _____". Just because you hate it doesn't mean it's overrated.

Star Wars is overrated because it combines a simplistic story, bad acting, no significant parable or meaning, and yet it still gets lauded as a masterpiece for some reason.

Star Wars is overrated because it combines a simplistic story, bad acting, no significant parable or meaning, and yet it still gets lauded as a masterpiece for some reason.

Glad I never bothered to see it or any sequels or prequels....

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

IMO.....

Sixth Sense very good

E.T dated but excellent

Rocky very good

Gran Torino very good

Shawshank excellent

The rest you can have

Gran Torino very good

Aye.

I actually think Gran Torino was a little bit underrated because it doesn't tow the Hollywood political line. I could be biased because I grew up on the east side of St. Paul- an aging neighborhood with a high Hmong population very much like the setting of Gran Torino. (I read that it was actually originally supposed to be set in St. Paul) The movie tells the story of a man very much like my own Dad or Grandpa. It was very special to see a movie tell their story from an unbiased perspective for a change. To me, that movie is an absolute masterpiece.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 4

I dislike Star Wars because I find it to be poorly acted, scripted, designed and the special effects don't even look good for its day.

The story is bland, the universe uninspired (honestly? Star Trek does this whole thing tonnes better), the score is over the top, and it made science fiction nerdy and childish, lacking any of the depth or intelligence of the finest works of the genre.

As a piece of entertainment? Fail. When it comes to these kinds of franchises, give me Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Die Hard or even Hunger Games any day of the week. Want quality science fiction? H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, Richard Matheson or Frank Herbert will suffice. Want great science fiction moviemaking? The list is endless, and this is not close to being even second tier.

Edited by Segue Myles

Eraserhead

I'm curious as to why you think this is overrated (I actually don't disagree with your opinion).

The unbearably bleak, dark, and industrial setting.

How can you call a film overrated when the vey thing the film sets out to be is accomplished perfectly?

I am sorry Singin' In The Rain is overrated. It's the perfect musical!

Come on Mountain Buddy! Give us some more details!

A quiet man whose girlfriend gives birth to a mutant and leaves him with it.

I'd rather watch turtles mate. Much more interesting.

Have you ever heard tortoises mating? They're quite funny with their little "uh, uh" noises.

That's awesome. And much more interesting than Eraserhead.

That was 1:38 of my time well spent.

I think David Lynch is a legend at what he does best, but maybe he's not for everyone including myself.

He's an amazing story in terms of "making it". For Erasurehead family and friends were the cash stream. An acquired taste for sure. Mel Brooks, the producer of The Elephant Man, called him "Jimmy Stewart from Mars"

Gran Torino very good

Aye.

I actually think Gran Torino was a little bit underrated because it doesn't tow the Hollywood political line. I could be biased because I grew up on the east side of St. Paul- an area with a high Hmong population very much like the setting of Gran Torino. The movie tells the story of a man very much like my own Dad or Grandpa. It was very special to see a movie tell their story from an unbiased perspective for a change. To me, that movie is an absolute masterpiece.

I didn't expect to but I enjoyed the heck out of it. Great story and beautiful poignant ending.... :yes:
  • Like 1

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

Rocky is a great movie. Have to disagree.

Bueller and Wanda are funny in sports.

• Like 1

I dislike Star Wars because I find it to be poorly acted, scripted, designed and the special effects don't even look good for its day.

The story is bland, the universe uninspired (honestly? Star Trek does this whole thing tonnes better), the score is over the top, and it made science fiction nerdy and childish, lacking any of the depth or intelligence of the finest works of the genre.

As a piece of entertainment? Fail. When it comes to these kinds of franchises, give me Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, Die Hard or even Hunger Games any day of the week. Want quality science fiction? H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov, Richard Matheson or Frank Herbert will suffice. Want great science fiction moviemaking? The list is endless, and this is not close to being even second tier.

Acting was camp for sure. Special effects were actually state of the art at the time. Frankly, without the success of Star Wars and the deal Lucas cut movies today would look a lot different

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, you're fairly young, right Segue? I think Star Wars was very different if you were a kid seeing it when it just came out. At the time, there was nothing else like it. Prior to SW, the only sci-fi special effects we had were things like the original Star Trek series, which didn't even compare. Maybe the acting in SW wasn't stellar, but the show has a whole was fun. And ground-breaking.

• Like 4

Gran Torino very good

Aye.

I actually think Gran Torino was a little bit underrated because it doesn't tow the Hollywood political line. I could be biased because I grew up on the east side of St. Paul- an aging neighborhood with a high Hmong population very much like the setting of Gran Torino. (I read that it was actually originally supposed to be set in St. Paul) The movie tells the story of a man very much like my own Dad or Grandpa. It was very special to see a movie tell their story from an unbiased perspective for a change. To me, that movie is an absolute masterpiece.

The theme song...my lord, that is beautiful,

If I remember correctly, you're fairly young, right Segue? I think Star Wars was very different if you were a kid seeing it when it just came out. At the time, there was nothing else like it.

it was an embarrassment of riches for George Lucas. The toys flew off the shelves plus he practically started a religion.

Light Saber battles in the parking lot after movie. It was fun.

• Like 2

E.T.

Brazil

Rocky

Skyfall

Gran Torino

The Shawshank Redemption

Gravity

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

A Fish Called Wanda

I thought it was overrated at first when I saw it on a free Dish Network weekend of Cinemax a number of years ago but I've loved it since the 2nd viewing.

I've always had a hard time believing that people who don't like star wars are anything other than contrarians.

segue is suspect because he'll be the first person to tell you that toto's better than hendrix, and KJ's favorite rush record is vapor trails!

it can't be a matter of opinion. it just can't be

• Like 1

this post is just ignorant. opinions aside, the special effects were ahead of anything else at the time (take a look at logan's run, another great movie released just a year before star wars, and see the difference in special effects), the universe is not uninspired (dragonlance is uninspired, forgotten realms is uninspired, TOTO is uninspired ;) but star wars is anything but) and it's one of the biggest and most varied universes out there, and science fiction did a good enough job making itself childish and nerdy in the 1930s, the 1940s, the 1950s...most of the genre before heinlein started writing big boy books was pretty juvenile. and as for frank herbert, dude wrote one good book (guess which one), and a lot of asimov's stuff, although fun and full of great ideas, reads like it was written by, well, george lucas.

it's a classic story that's been used since the dawn of storytelling and will continue to be used, the bad acting is part of the charm (and doesn't really get cringe-worthy until the new ones), and as for having a significant parable or meaning, who cares?

is this just star trek fan bitterness from you guys?

and to ancient ways, I can't explain why anything is "overrated." I don't even like using the word, it's just a way of saying "other people like this but I don't." it says more about the person using it than what the person's describing, kind of like "pretentious" (which is just a way of either saying, "I don't understand this," or, "this song is too long.")

when I mentioned the movies I did, I was just saying, "these are movies that I think are shit that a lot of people like." I can't "make a case" for my opinion when it comes to shit like movies

• Like 1

it's a classic story that's been used since the dawn of storytelling and will continue to be used, the bad acting is part of the charm (and doesn't really get cringe-worthy until the new ones), and as for having a significant parable or meaning, who cares?

The bad acting is at its worst in A New Hope. The story is worn out. And as for having parable or meaning, that's kind of all you have left when there's a weak story and bad acting.

Don't get me wrong, I like 'plain fun' movies as much as the next guy. The 2010 reboot of the A Team left me with a huge dumb smile on my face. But you won't hear me promoting it as an all time great film. Star Wars isn't nearly as fun as the A Team was. Because with Star Wars, the acting was weak, the characters were uninspired, and it just leaves me bored.

is this just star trek fan bitterness from you guys?

Oh, most definitely. Star Trek is on another level entirely, yet still has to compete against the 'sci'-fi opiate that is Star Wars.

But it doesn't change the fact that Star Wars is a genuinely boring and uninteresting story.

Edited by KenJennings