crazygeo

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (tangy @ Sep 18 2012, 06:37 PM)
natural science

second place is la villa

Can't argue. Another way I look at it is what song represents RUSH the best to someone who doesn't know them. Hard to argue with Natural Science, Xanadu, or Red Barchetta.

I can only narrow it down to what I feel are their 10 greatest songs, for a combination of all reasons.

La Villa Strangiato

The Spirit of Radio

Red Barchetta

YYZ

Vital Signs

Subdivisions

Marathon

Clockwork Angels

The Anarchist

The Garden

Quite a bizzare list, I know, but I think that this list really demonstrates their best efforts.

yeah i dont think there could be a definitive best rush track, you could go back to their very first albums and every single album after that through the decades and pick something depending what your mood is, but to choose one single track above all else on musical prowess alone would just be a silly thing to do there's just far too much brilliance in that vast catalog, but...

Bu2b and earthshine reach a level of maturity and development that stand out for me in some way, like i dont think the band could do any better when it comes to power and sheer simplicity and the surreality pervasive in all rush material

QUOTE (Nate1647 @ Sep 18 2012, 06:08 PM)
I can only narrow it down to what I feel are their 10 greatest songs, for a combination of all reasons.

La Villa Strangiato
The Spirit of Radio
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Vital Signs
Subdivisions
Marathon
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
The Garden

Quite a bizzare list, I know, but I think that this list really demonstrates their best efforts.

That's an awesome list actually...most of those are definitely in my Top 20. yes.gif

If I had to pick the track that best represents Rush, in terms of early hard rocking-ness, to the prog period, to the classic period, to the more meolodic synth period and beyond, but which still has a great appeal, I have to go with Red Barchetta.

That is not my favorite track, but I think it is probably the best representative of what Rush is. Tom Sawyer would be an obvious choice as well, for many of the same reasons.

If I was allowed to only play one song with hopes of "hooking" a person who has not heard any Rush, it would have to Xanadu, no contest.

That song has all the elements of the band, all three guys really strut their stuff... great lyrics, plus, it has the sheer power they are known for.