The Anarchist's instrumental opening

NYM86

?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• It goes on a tad bit too long. :unsure:
    • It could go on longer and I wouldn't mind! Cool riffs galore! :haz:
    • It's just right. :ebert:

As you are all well aware, The Anarchist has a pretty lengthy instrumental intro. I have heard varying opinions about this on scattered threads, so I thought I'd get a poll going.

Some say it's a little overdone and could be slimmed down a bit, while others think think it's such a great jam, one riff after another, that it would be cool if it went on longer. I understand both viewpoints, but ultimately I like the intro as it is. What say you?

EDIT: Smilies don't show up in poll options? Really? Well, if anyone wants the full effect, here it is...

It goes on a tad bit too long. unsure.gif

It could go on longer and I wouldn't mind! Cool riffs galore! 1022.gif

It's just right. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by NYM86

It's great just as it is. Not too long and not too short. Seriously, if people are complaining that The Anarchist's intro is too long, then I guess they must think the same and hate Xanadu, Hemispheres, 2112, and so on. They all run much longer.

The Anarchist sounds like it could have been an instrumental. The lyrics and vocals are great, but I'd be happy if it were an instrumental. Happy either way with this song.

Edited by GUP1771

QUOTE (Amalgamation @ Aug 11 2012, 07:41 PM)
How would one know if it would be better shorter or even longer, for that matter? Peeps need to enjoy it as it's presented...too much armchair judging going on. wink.gif

laugh.gif

Welcome to the Internet wink.gif

The intro is perfect as it is. Perfect appetizer for the rest of the song (which happens to be my undisputed favorite on the album.)

One aspect that's cool is that the song can stand on its own, lyrically, without the rest of the album. The song could as easily be the point of view of any angry malcontent and not specifically the antagonist of the CA story. Plus the lyrics contain a line that's textbook classic Neil: "A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage"

QUOTE (GUP1771 @ Aug 11 2012, 06:36 PM)
It's great just as it is. Not too long and not too short. Seriously, if people are complaining that The Anarchist's intro is too long, then I guess they must think the same and hate Xanadu, Hemispheres, 2112, and so on. They all run much longer.

The Anarchist sounds like it could have been an instrumental. The lyrics and vocals are great, but I'd be happy if it were an instrumental. Happy either way with this song.

Pretty much this. If people think The Anarchist has a long intro, then they really shouldn't listen to Rush's older albums.

QUOTE (NYM86 @ Aug 11 2012, 04:51 PM)
Some say it's a little overdone and could be slimmed down a bit

Don't you mean "one" instead of "some."

Nice try. Maybe next time.

tongue.gif

QUOTE (av450 @ Aug 12 2012, 09:07 AM)
Isn't the intro just verse-bridge-chorus except with no singing

Partly, but that's not to say it isn't fantastic. It's like the song has its own overture.

Frankly, the fact that these parts stand on their own as an intro to the song speaks volumes about just how good the writing is here.

If some people think the intro is too long, then I guess they complain even more about The Camera Eye or Xanadu.... wacko.gif wacko.gif

It took me awhile to like this song. If the intro was shorter, I probably would have like it sooner. But now that I do like the song, I don't want it shorter. So how do I vote?

part of it i refer to it as "oh, here comes The Flock of Seagulls riff"...

Riff on... 1287.gif

It's one of my favorite parts of the whole album...it's freakin' perfect. This is Rush we're talking about. An extended intro this good is always welcome to my ears.

653.gif

QUOTE (RushIslander @ Aug 12 2012, 09:27 PM)
The Anarchist ROCKS!!!

Perhaps the best tune from this album!

Yeah, that's right! I said "album", LOL!!!

653.gif

They'll forever be "albums" to me...no matter the format. I refuse to give in to any other terms the music industry tries to force feed me... tongue.gif