Sick of the circlejerk around here.

Alchemical

QUOTE (SignofEth @ Jun 14 2012, 01:01 PM)
I have to say I'm disappointed with this album. I've listened to it a handful of times now and I can't get into it. It's a great piece of work, just not one of my fav. S&A and Vapor Trails were incredible. But somehow this album lacks something.

I found myself putting this cd away, and pulling out Hemispheres and Caress of Steel. Perhaps it'll sound different in a few weeks. For now, not something I'm dying to listen to when I have a moment to relax.

What a curious place for a first post. Testing us, are you? laugh.gif Welcome to TRF. Like the sign of eth, may CA keep rising in your esteem. trink39.gif

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 02:24 PM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Jun 14 2012, 02:21 PM)
Did the album come out already?

laugh.gif

Nope...it's actually been pushed back another 2 years now. Neil became a born-again Christian, and now has to re-write the entire story.

wink.gif

Cool.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 01:24 PM)

laugh.gif

Nope...it's actually been pushed back another 2 years now. Neil became a born-again Christian, and now has to re-write the entire story.

wink.gif

I was brought up to believe, a faith that has lifted me now!

rofl3.gif z7shysterical.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 10:21 PM)
You know you've stumbled upon a circlejerk online when one cannot even express his opinion that may differ from the norm without being lambasted as a dissenter (Read: Troll), or not a "real" RUSH fan. Look, we all dig RUSH, that's why we're here right? But, believe it or not, some of us on here DON'T like the album, and what's so wrong with that? Not everyone is bound to orgasm over CA. Me personally? I dig it but I'm not completely blown away. I've given it six listens and it's adequate, even very good, but it's not a masterpiece in my opinion. IN. MY. OPINION. Got that?

I'm just sick of the diminutive minority on here who have legit reason to dislike the album getting shut down by boisterous fanboyism. Let people hold their opinions, kay? I don't see how it is personally affecting you.

i kind of agree. if the expression 'in my opinion' was used more often, there would definitly be less insulting posts, more interesting discussions and more respect for other peoples' oppinions. but somehow many people tend to say 'it is like this or that' instead of 'in my opinion' or 'for me it seems to be like...whatever'. I mean it's a HUGE difference if you say the album IS good/bad or if you say I like it/don't like it because......

Life is too short to be worried about trivial matters,

compared to what is really happening around the world,

that 95% of earth's population are completely oblivious/

unaware of....we need to look at the big picture, people...

not the cover art, and what's recorded within...There are

people LITERALLY DIEING around the globe, because they

are seriously un-informed...

Just an observation.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 14 2012, 04:30 PM)

Just an observation.

Then why are you on a trivial music chat board and not saving lives?

QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 08:21 PM)
I'm just sick of the diminutive minority on here who have legit reason to dislike the album getting shut down by boisterous fanboyism. Let people hold their opinions, kay? I don't see how it is personally affecting you.

In my opinion, you don't get an opinion.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 01:04 PM)
QUOTE (SignofEth @ Jun 14 2012, 01:01 PM)
I have to say I'm disappointed with this album.  I've listened to it a handful of times now and I can't get into it.  It's a great piece of work, just not one of my fav.  S&A and Vapor Trails were incredible.  But somehow this album lacks something. 

I found myself putting this cd away, and pulling out Hemispheres and Caress of Steel.  Perhaps it'll sound different in a few weeks.  For now, not something I'm dying to listen to when I have a moment to relax.

Give it a few more listens, the album needs to grow on you! Then if you still feel that way use it as a coaster!

1287.gif common001.gif icon_alienjig.gif common001.gif 1287.gif

I've given it a third listen while in the car today and it's, unfortunatly, already being mentally cataloged into the "coaster" section of my CDs right along with Snakes and Feedback.

I've said before....I like the story, I like the artwork. I like the return to epic style music....I just don't like the music. None of it moves me or excites me or even really connects with me on any level. The songs are much too long, too dense, too busy, too much singing, on top of that Geddy's voice just kinda sucks now (IMO). Everything sounds the same. Hell, after all the gushing about The Garden I've given that extra attention and can't connect with that one either. And YES, I understand what it's about and I love the analogy, but, again, the music itself just sort of goes nowhere.

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 14 2012, 04:30 PM)

Just an observation.

so you are saying that everyone who doesn't talk about that in a forum that is entitled to discussions about a certain album is ignorant? tongue.gif

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2012, 07:00 PM)
Whoever thought a circle jerk was a good idea in the first place?

gay mens

QUOTE (KMH @ Jun 13 2012, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 13 2012, 09:44 PM)
You're on a RUSH FAN site and you expect contrary opinions to be received well? C'mon.. really? Really?

A true fan will NOT always bow down and worship every single thing that they put out. The majority of the body of their work? Yes. Every last drop? I would hope not.

For example. Fly By Night is like chalk screeching against a chalkboard. Does that make me any less of a fan? I don't believe so.

Even Rush themselves don't like every single thing they've put out. Tai Shan, for example.

I miss that chalkboard sound! 1022.gif biggrin.gif 2.gif

smilies-8579.png

^that's what you want you want right?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 02:24 PM)

laugh.gif

wink.gif

rofl3.gif goodpost.gif

QUOTE (hoerstle @ Jun 14 2012, 04:05 PM)
if the expression 'in my opinion' was used more often, there would definitly be less insulting posts, more interesting discussions and more respect for other peoples' oppinions. but somehow many people tend to say 'it is like this or that' instead of 'in my opinion' or 'for me it seems to be like...whatever'. I mean it's a HUGE difference if you say the album IS good/bad or if you say I like it/don't like it because......

I agree. I think framing things as your "opinion" could diffuse a lot of hard feelings and potential fights. Too many times we don't clarify that something is our opinion, and our opinions are delivered as though they're empirical truths. For example, "Vapor Trails was a piece of shit" or "Armor and Sword was the best thing they've done in 25 years"... said this way, it makes it sound like these are TRUTHS when they're just one person's opinions!

Maybe, too, the lot of us could just look at other posts as though the 'IMO" is IMPLIED, though not said. If we see ALL posts as being merely another person's opinion, we're less likely to feel the opinion-giver is being condescending to us, that he's acting as though his opinion is empirical truth and we who disagree are crazy or denying reality.

It's a message board and people express opinions. If I post that T4E is a complete crock of maggot-infested shit then that is obviously my personal opinion. Who else's opinion could it be?

QUOTE (go2wrk@95974 @ Jun 14 2012, 10:30 PM)

Just an observation.

Grow up

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:22 AM)
if the expression 'in my opinion' was used more often, there would definitly be less insulting posts, more interesting discussions and more respect for other peoples' oppinions. but somehow many people tend to say 'it is like this or that' instead of 'in my opinion' or 'for me it seems to be like...whatever'. I mean it's a HUGE difference if you say the album IS good/bad or if you say I like it/don't like it because......

I agree. I think framing things as your "opinion" could diffuse a lot of hard feelings and potential fights. Too many times we don't clarify that something is our opinion, and our opinions are delivered as though they're empirical truths. For example, "Vapor Trails was a piece of shit" or "Armor and Sword was the best thing they've done in 25 years"... said this way, it makes it sound like these are TRUTHS when they're just one person's opinions!

Maybe, too, the lot of us could just look at other posts as though the 'IMO" is IMPLIED, though not said. If we see ALL posts as being merely another person's opinion, we're less likely to feel the opinion-giver is being condescending to us, that he's acting as though his opinion is empirical truth and we who disagree are crazy or denying reality.

Yeah, it gets tiring having to say IMO or IMHO all the time so people don't get offended because my opinions otherwise sound too authoritative - I wish people could just assume it was there unspoken when I and others forget or can't be bothered to spell it out.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jun 15 2012, 09:00 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Jun 15 2012, 03:22 AM)

Yeah, it gets tiring having to say IMO or IMHO all the time so people don't get offended because my opinions otherwise sound too authoritative - I wish people could just assume it was there unspoken when I and others forget or can't be bothered to spell it out.

So true. I use "IMO" alot around here...but yes, I agree it should be implied. This is a message board afterall...we all have opinions, and this is the place to share them.

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Jun 15 2012, 07:40 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 15 2012, 08:06 AM)
It's a message board and people express opinions. If I post that T4E is a complete crock of maggot-infested shit then that is obviously my personal opinion. Who else's opinion could it be?

Mine. wink.gif

I second that!