Sick of the circlejerk around here.

Alchemical

QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 13 2012, 10:43 PM)
People need extremity in order to have an opinion. You find it in politics and all over the place. It seems like having a moderate/balanced opinion is lost in today's world. Everyone is either worshiping the album or tearing it down...and with little support to back up what they say...smh confused13.gif

Exactly, it's not the dissenting opinion itself that is minded, it's how it is expressed with arrogance, ego, and with extreme language that rubs people the wrong way. One guy on here simply said he did not like it without any attitude and nobody gave him a hard time. Expressing a different opinion is fine, but you dont have to be a dick about it.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone here is only expressing an opinion, good, bad, or otherwise.

I want to point out that the opposite happens too. When someone posts a piece about how terrible the sound is and someone says "sounds good to me", that person gets talked down to like they're tone deaf, stupid, or would know better if they appreciated....(blah, blah). So let's not pretend that street doesn't have traffic running both ways.

I should be allowed to post my positivity in a negative thread the same way as the folks here are claiming their voices count too.

trink39.gif

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Jun 14 2012, 04:56 AM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 10:21 PM)
I'm just sick of the diminutive minority on here...

Why do you hate short people?

They don't have so far to fall, the lucky little f*ckers.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 13 2012, 10:36 PM)
Some opinions are worded in a manner that will receive negative attention like this thread you just started. No one is going to stop you from having your opinion and if you can't handle criticism of your opinion or the manner it is delivered then I suggest not posting them.

goodpost.gif

Exactly!!

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 14 2012, 07:17 AM)

I want to point out that the opposite happens too. When someone posts a piece about how terrible the sound is and someone says "sounds good to me", that person gets talked down to like they're tone deaf, stupid, or would know better if they appreciated....(blah, blah). So let's not pretend that street doesn't have traffic running both ways.

I should be allowed to post my positivity in a negative thread the same way as the folks here are claiming their voices count too.

trink39.gif

You know...I agree with you P-D.

The only thing is (and this is coming from a guy who LOVES CA), it gets pretty ridiculous IMO when I see the positivity police out enforcing their tastes on those that maybe don't like it as much, and dismissing their opinions as completely invalid.

Like I said, it's been proven that you can be troll with strict positivity as well...

If people still don't understand the concept of music being subjective to each individual listener, then I'm not sure what to tell 'em.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (KMH @ Jun 14 2012, 12:09 AM)
QUOTE (Snaked @ Jun 13 2012, 09:44 PM)
You're on a RUSH FAN site and you expect contrary opinions to be received well? C'mon.. really? Really?

A true fan will NOT always bow down and worship every single thing that they put out. The majority of the body of their work? Yes. Every last drop? I would hope not.

For example. Fly By Night is like chalk screeching against a chalkboard. Does that make me any less of a fan? I don't believe so.

Even Rush themselves don't like every single thing they've put out. Tai Shan, for example.

You must be Looney! Fly by Night is classic and Tai Shan ...Well you must be Looney!

fing.gif

Edited by losingit2k

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 07:52 AM)

I want to point out that the opposite happens too.  When someone posts a piece about how terrible the sound is and someone says "sounds good to me", that person gets talked down to like they're tone deaf, stupid, or would know better if they appreciated....(blah, blah).  So let's not pretend that street doesn't have traffic running both ways.

trink39.gif

The only thing is (and this is coming from a guy who LOVES CA), it gets pretty ridiculous IMO when I see the positivity police out enforcing their tastes on those that maybe don't like it as much, and dismissing their opinions as completely invalid.

Like I said, it's been proven that you can be troll with strict positivity as well...

If people still don't understand the concept of music being subjective to each individual listener, then I'm not sure what to tell 'em.

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

There can be no such thing as a positive Rush troll on a Rush fan site. I think that's pretty self explanatory.

As people have mentioned, criticism with respect is not flamed here. Boisterous criticism without respect is. Pretty much at least. On a Rush fan forum, right after a magnificent Rush release, his shouldn't be a hard concept that is not understood.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 07:52 AM)

I want to point out that the opposite happens too.  When someone posts a piece about how terrible the sound is and someone says "sounds good to me", that person gets talked down to like they're tone deaf, stupid, or would know better if they appreciated....(blah, blah).  So let's not pretend that street doesn't have traffic running both ways.

trink39.gif

1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

ED are you expressing your opinions again? How many times do I have to beat you with my club?

beathorse.gif

You do understand that Emotional Detector is possibly the worse track on Power Windows, right?

ED Response:

Yeah, and Losing it is the worse track on Signals? I don't know what you are looking for? Go chase a double rainbow you Anti-troll bastard!

confused13.gif

rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

A person should be able to say that they like an album or not like an album without being persecuted for it.

I certainly don't like everything the band has done.

The problem comes when people get upset that somebody else doesn't like their favorite album.

I actually 'like' that different people find different things to like (therefore dislike) about different Rush releases. It's inevitable when you have a band who has released so many albums over the years that have taken the music in so many different musical directions. It doesn't bother me at all if there are opinions that express what is disliked about something. I have my share of negative opinions around here, no doubt.

Where I take issue is when someone who posts an opinion in such a way, that they try to make anyone else who hears/sees/thinks otherwise feel like an asshole who obviously knows nothing. As a member of the forum, it bothers me. As a mod of the forum, it sometimes 'requires' me to intervene based on conduct which instantly gains me more enemies than friends. Oh well. It comes with the job. Ironically, I think I get accused of "posturing" when it was someone's posturing that caused me to get involved in the first place. laugh.gif

Another needle in my spine is not the fact that someone will have a negative opinion about something, but rather, feel the need to restate that near exact opinion in every single thread where the opportunity may present itself. Reading the same thoughts a hundred times in a hundred threads gets to be like a cheese grater on my ass. But that's my own personal issue - it doesn't mean someone needs to change their style of posting because of it.

Anyway, that's my penny's worth on the 2 cents. Post away! trink39.gif

Edited by Pags

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 08:16 AM)
A person should be able to say that they like an album or not like an album without being persecuted for it.

The problem comes when people get upset that somebody else doesn't like their favorite album.

I agree with you, the problem comes when people start claiming an album is Dreadful, Uninspiring, meandering, a sonic mess(thats my fav), muddy, unlistenable, when the album was just released and they've only heard it once, if that.

cool.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Jun 14 2012, 05:15 AM)
QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Jun 14 2012, 05:02 AM)
QUOTE (Alchemical @ Jun 13 2012, 08:21 PM)
You know you've stumbled upon a circlejerk online when one cannot even express his opinion that may differ from the norm without being lambasted as a dissenter (Read: Troll), or not a "real" RUSH fan. Look, we all dig RUSH, that's why we're here right? But, believe it or not, some of us on here DON'T like the album, and what's so wrong with that? Not everyone is bound to orgasm over CA. Me personally? I dig it but I'm not completely blown away. I've given it six listens and it's adequate, even very good, but it's not a masterpiece in my opinion. IN. MY. OPINION. Got that?

I'm just sick of the diminutive minority on here who have legit reason to dislike the album getting shut down by boisterous fanboyism. Let people hold their opinions, kay? I don't see how it is personally affecting you.

Yep, it's a Forum and you're going to get lots of varying opinions. That's what this place is for.

People are passionate about their bands and they're not afraid to let the world know.

You are missing his point completely yet your reply actually reinforces it.

wink.gif

I think you mistook his agreeing with the OP for something else. I'm not sure.

If TriNet were still around, I'd encourage the overzealous fans (the ones who think Rush can do no wrong and therefore get upset when somebody has an opposing view) to go there.

The moderator there actually banned people from the site if they said they didn't like something that Rush did.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:29 AM)

I agree with you, the problem comes when people start claiming an album is Dreadful, Uninspiring, meandering, a sonic mess(thats my fav), muddy, unlistenable, when the album was just released and they've only heard it once, if that.

cool.gif

What about those of us who love the album, have listened to it maybe 20 times, and still think (at least to our ears) that the album is a sonic mess?

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 14 2012, 08:36 AM)

cool.gif

What about those of us who love the album, have listened to it maybe 20 times, and still think (at least to our ears) that the album is a sonic mess?

Then I'd say "Sorry for the sonic mess in your ears?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:38 AM)

cool.gif

confused13.gif

No need for you to apologize--you're not Brian Gardner or Nick Rasculinecz.

QUOTE (marblesmike @ Jun 14 2012, 08:41 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:38 AM)

cool.gif

confused13.gif

No need for you to apologize--you're not Brian Gardner or Nick Rasculinecz.

Here's a strange and bizarre thought: You ever thought that maybe, just maybe 2.gif wanted it to sound that way?

confused13.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 09:35 AM)
If TriNet were still around, I'd encourage the overzealous fans (the ones who think Rush can do no wrong and therefore get upset when somebody has an opposing view) to go there.

The moderator there actually banned people from the site if they said they didn't like something that Rush did.

I used to be part of that place.

QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:13 AM)
ED are you expressing your opinions again? How many times do I have to beat you with my club?

beathorse.gif

You do understand that Emotional Detector is possibly the worse track on Power Windows, right?

ED Response:

Yeah, and Losing it is the worse track on Signals? I don't know what you are looking for? Go chase a double rainbow you Anti-troll bastard!

confused13.gif

Losing It...nope, it's not the worst on Signals. New World Man is.

"Emotional Detector"...must be a b-side, never heard of it, so it could be the worst on PoW.

Now...LI-2K Possible Responses:

1) rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

2) 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

3) 'Go Orchestra Go!'

4) rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

5) Setlist prediction time! R45! This time, we'll guess Ged's exact moments of dialog throughout, as well as assume that Presto will be played in its entirety (30th anniversary)!

...that was a fun game! Thanks! trink39.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jun 14 2012, 09:35 AM)

I used to be part of that place.

Nah, I would get banned in an instant! I just can't stand Emotion Detector from Power Windows! I'd get banned for my dislike of that Dismal, Uninspiring, dreadful, sonic mess of a song, alone.

Actually I like that song alot, very unappreciated. I do believe it would have been much better without that annoying keyboard part. That keyboard part is the only thing that brings that song down. And that's coming from a keyboardist. It has a great feel and Alex's solo is simply unmacthed.

But Oh well, Geddy wanted that keyboard part in as he wanted those overwhelming Taurus pedals in on CA. What Geddy wants Geddy gets!

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (Gedneil Alpeart @ Jun 14 2012, 06:51 AM)
QUOTE (DistantEarlyRushFan @ Jun 13 2012, 10:43 PM)
People need extremity in order to have an opinion. You find it in politics and all over the place. It seems like having a moderate/balanced opinion is lost in today's world. Everyone is either worshiping the album or tearing it down...and with little support to back up what they say...smh  confused13.gif

Exactly, it's not the dissenting opinion itself that is minded, it's how it is expressed with arrogance, ego, and with extreme language that rubs people the wrong way. One guy on here simply said he did not like it without any attitude and nobody gave him a hard time. Expressing a different opinion is fine, but you dont have to be a dick about it.

That. . .and then waxing on about how "simple" the bass/drums/guitar parts are, and that you can play much more complex material. Or that your voice is so much better than Geddy's. Maybe so, but anyone making that statement needs to back it the hell up by posting proof of said skill and talent.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jun 14 2012, 08:51 AM)
QUOTE (losingit2k @ Jun 14 2012, 09:13 AM)

beathorse.gif

ED Response:

confused13.gif

rofl3.gif  icon_really_happy_guy.gif  z7shysterical.gif

Losing It...nope, it's not the worst on Signals. New World Man is.

"Emotional Detector"...must be a b-side, never heard of it, so it could be the worst on PoW.

Now...LI-2K Possible Responses:

1) rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

2) 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif

3) 'Go Orchestra Go!'

4) rofl3.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif z7shysterical.gif

5) Setlist prediction time! R45! This time, we'll guess Ged's exact moments of dialog throughout, as well as assume that Presto will be played in its entirety (30th anniversary)!

...that was a fun game! Thanks! trink39.gif

Hey you know me!

applaudit.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif

Oh it's:

2.gif 1022.gif 2.gif not 1022.gif 2.gif 1022.gif