What Roadrunner Is Doing and Clockwork Angels

farcryoverspilledmilk

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (anchorman @ Apr 2 2012, 10:04 AM)
Now that's how you do it!

I am absolutely stunned that only one other poster in the entire thread hinted at the possibility of an April Fools joke going on here.

The OP made it believable, didn't over do it with the content and said practically nothing about the new stuff.

Wow. No offense, but I don't believe a word of what was said. In fact, he/she hasn't posted in this thread again right ? Had to catch a plane ?

rofl3.gif Snippets ? They had a listening party in NY and then reps from Roadrunner visited different radio personalities with Headlong Flight. That's it.

I did have that in the back of my mind when I was the first to respond but like you said regardless they really didn't give much info anyway.

QUOTE (MCM @ Apr 1 2012, 10:01 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Apr 1 2012, 08:52 AM)
QUOTE (the_necro_dancer @ Apr 1 2012, 06:31 PM)
Marketing ploy? Taking the piss more like. If this was Radiohead we would have had the record weeks ago.

If they were Radiohead, I wouldn't give a shit.

You beat me to it JohnnyBlaze - Happily, Rush is not Radiohead.

Exactly...I mean, really?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 1 2012, 11:02 AM)
QUOTE (Joesaracer @ Apr 1 2012, 09:02 AM)
Marketing ploy? Taking the piss more like. If this was Radiohead we would have had the record weeks ago.

While there should probably be never any connection between Rush and Radiohead (even though they are my two favorite bands), Radiohead has certainly taken the album release and transformed it to an artform.

Radiohead finished The King of Limbs album, announced on February 11 of last year that they were releasing it on February 19. So a one week period between announcement and release. HOWEVER, they chose to release it a day early. Why? Because they can. It's their music and it was downloadable from their servers only. It's part of their brilliant mantra of "F*** the Industry." No one questions them on it, as they make more money selling album through their own site, rather than have a label promote it.

Rush on the other hand, is no Radiohead insofar as fan base. Radiohead is just a much bigger band. Rush's strategy (or Roadrunner's, as far as we know) is still more modern than just a plain album release. These guys know what they're doing. Remember when Caravan and BU2B were released? It never leaked. I find it hard to believe that this will leak anytime soon (here's hoping it does, though), nor will the album. This is making Rush fans go crazy! We want to hear the music, but Roadrunner is building up hype, which makes the first listen that much better.

please don't mention radiohead on here. 062802puke_prv.gif

What's wrong with Radiohead? sad.gif

QUOTE (MCM @ Apr 1 2012, 10:01 AM)

You beat me to it JohnnyBlaze - Happily, Rush is not Radiohead.

music.gif

You keep me waiting

You keep me alone in a room full of friends

You keep me hating

You keep me listening to the Bends

I'm sorry that, I'm sorry that I'm not like you

music.gif

i've loved this band for a very long time they the only living heroes i have their music has meant so much to me at so many different stages of my life but, i cant be arsed with this waiting sh*t no more, two years ago we were given clockwork angels to wait for..... TWO F*UCKING YEARS...... i've waited... WE'VE waited..... now the albums done, a single's done....... and still we're being p*ssed around........

i love this band and have done for 30 years but roadrunner can keep their album now if this is what real hardened fans mean to them.... keep your viral marketing ploys or whatever it is you're doing i've had enough waiting life's too short

wacko.gif

Edited by lifeson90

QUOTE (drbirdsong @ Apr 3 2012, 07:40 AM)
Yer still gonna haff to wait.

Sometimes the waiting is the hardest part. Sometimes the anticipation can bring some measure of pleasure. But sometimes, the waiting can be so frustrating that it leads to hallucinating that your favorite band is conspiring to hide the prize. That's when you need to take a deep breathe and eat a cookie. smile.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 3 2012, 07:16 AM)
i've loved this band for a very long time they the only living heroes i have their music has meant so much to me at so many different stages of my life but, i cant be arsed with this waiting sh*t no more, two years ago we were given clockwork angels to wait for..... TWO F*UCKING YEARS...... i've waited... WE'VE waited..... now the albums done, a single's done....... and still we're being p*ssed around........

i love this band and have done for 30 years but roadrunner can keep their album now if this is what real hardened fans mean to them.... keep your viral marketing ploys or whatever it is you're doing i've had enough waiting life's too short

wacko.gif

Are you being serious? if you're joking, I'll admit that I've kind of fallen for it. But if you're serious, how exactly are you being "pissed around"?

This is very normal protocol when a record is being released. The only reason you, me, or anyone else knows as much as we do is because of a lovely invention called "the internet".

It is common practice for record labels to wait - sometimes almost a year - to release finished product. It's all about maximizing profit. Be lucky they're not sitting on this thing until the Christmas season. I'm being very serious when I say that. Christmas is when people spend the most money, so it's very common that record labels, movie studios, book publishers and video game companies to "sit on" product until around November. Don't believe me? Wait until this Thanksgiving and check out how much "hot" entertainment product is released. Then, check back and view the new releases a couple of months later in mid January. Do you think this is by coincidence? No, much of this product has been "shelved" until the busy season.

Ever notice how movie blockbusters seem to always come out right as summer as starting?

OK. hopefully I've made my point. If you're as big a Rush fan as you say, you still have all of their other albums to listen to - and there's a ton of other good, quality music out there to keep you entertained until May.

Just relax. it's a music release, not a cure for cancer.

Peace,

Clem

QUOTE (clem @ Apr 3 2012, 07:18 AM)
QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 3 2012, 07:16 AM)

wacko.gif

Are you being serious? if you're joking, I'll admit that I've kind of fallen for it. But if you're serious, how exactly are you being "pissed around"?

This is very normal protocol when a record is being released. The only reason you, me, or anyone else knows as much as we do is because of a lovely invention called "the internet".

It is common practice for record labels to wait - sometimes almost a year - to release finished product. It's all about maximizing profit. Be lucky they're not sitting on this thing until the Christmas season. I'm being very serious when I say that. Christmas is when people spend the most money, so it's very common that record labels, movie studios, book publishers and video game companies to "sit on" product until around November. Don't believe me? Wait until this Thanksgiving and check out how much "hot" entertainment product is released. Then, check back and view the new releases a couple of months later in mid January. Do you think this is by coincidence? No, much of this product has been "shelved" until the busy season.

Ever notice how movie blockbusters seem to always come out right as summer as starting?

OK. hopefully I've made my point. If you're as big a Rush fan as you say, you still have all of their other albums to listen to - and there's a ton of other good, quality music out there to keep you entertained until May.

Just relax. it's a music release, not a cure for cancer.

Peace,

Clem

Thank you for saving me the time of writing the response that I was formulating after I read his post. You nailed it.

It's a music release, not a cure for cancer yes.gif

just a spontaneous expression of frustration..... hence the wacko.gif

peace out.

adios.

actually...... no, i meant every word..... i think we've all waited such a long time for this album i think a tiny piece of over-the-top angry frustration is only natural...... i repeat: TWO FREAKING YEARS ago clockwork angels was announced........ thats a large chunk outa anybody's life and yeah i know a cure for cancer might be more significant but u cant go judging everything by that perspective or nothing would mean much in relation...

yeah, i think any rush fan in need of new music has a right to express a little angst here, and taking it over the top merely reinforces the strength of feeling.... if truly passionate about something throw any words out there to express the passion they dont have to be politically correct i wasnt addressing the UN or anything

truth is, like most people i'm just happy the band still active, they could've retired like aeons ago.

by the way got enough callofduty to keep me occupied i can wait as long as it takes really so long as i dont get a terminal illness or anythin... wish me luck.

Edited by lifeson90

I'm eagerly awaiting the release as much as the next guy, but... "need"? A "rush fan in need of new music"? A "large chunk outa anybody's life"? We don't need new music, and nobody is losing anything, least of all time out of their busy lives. It's not like we're all sitting outside a record store for 10 hours a day waiting for the truck to arrive with the new Rush CDs... life goes on. Same as it ever was.

Let's make two distinct points here.

First of all, there is the issue of patience and the passing of time. I don't think many of us would begrudge, or demand that Rush finish an album before its ready (i.e., artistically not reached the satisfaction or quality they expect of themselves). I think the wait before an "announcement" is more than reasonable, and it would be disrespectful for any one to bemoan such.

Secondly, (and whilst it is their music, and they could finish something and release it five, ten years later, or hell, they could decide not to release it all. It is their music, after all), the wait between now and the announcement smacks of cynicism and exploitation through marketing profiteering - especially now in the days of high speed data access, where one if they wanted could remove the middle man, and this pointless racketeering to form a genuine relationship between musician and listener ("Hey, I just recorded this, have a listen") Rush decide not to.

So, basically what is developing here is a contrived, bound to be anticlimactic, high on expectation, soon to be let down curve, that is, from my point of view, utterly and completely pointless.

But like I say, it's Rush's music - they can do what they want, and so can I, and so can we all.

Edited by the_necro_dancer

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 1 2012, 10:07 AM)
Long story short: getting Classic Rock stations to play the new material is NOT hard... but getting them to KEEP the new material on their playlist is probably impossible. laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

That's why they're called "classic" rock stations. smile.gif

z7shysterical.gif

QUOTE (lifeson90 @ Apr 3 2012, 09:28 AM)

i repeat: TWO FREAKING YEARS ago clockwork angels was announced........ thats a large chunk outa anybody's life and yeah i know a cure for cancer might be more significant but u cant go judging everything by that perspective or nothing would mean much in relation...

Again, we probably wouldn't know this unless the internet was around. It's really not at all uncommon these days for bands to wait that long in between releases.

I also view it as: "2 songs are better than nothing". I'm also glad they toured instead of sitting at home doing nothing (again, they could have chosen this path).

Plus, in the 2 year waiting period, the fans got:

a. a kick-ass tour

b. the entire Moving Pictures being played live

c. a kick-ass DVD to go along with it.

Plus, they're not exactly kids anymore. Who knows how much longer they'll be around? As a human being, I hope they sincerely enjoy the rest of their lives. If they want to slow down and do other things, that's fine by me. I just don't feel like I can't complain. They've been around far longer than I ever anticipated, and I'm very thankful.

And yes, venting is cool around here, I just hate to see people get too worked up.....

Peace,

Clem

I don't understand how people have such short memories. Originally, Rush expressed desires to not even release a physical album because the way the music industry was shaped these days. Caravan and BU2B were the beginning of chunks that Rush were going to release digitally over time.

Obviously, with their tour expansion and other factors, this later changed. And now we're awaiting an actual album.

It's weird, because if it were not for the internet in this case, you'd think the album would've come out in late summer/fall of 2010 after Caravan and BU2B came out as a single/b-side combo in June. But because of what we've read over the past couple of years, we know that things have changed.

As much as the internet can be blamed for instant access to the info on CA, it's also been quite helpful in understanding why things have changed since Caravan and BU2B were released, and why we're awaiting an album now, instead of wondering why it wasn't already out in late 2010.

I understand and share in the frustration. I think the key point made above is not the usual waiting for a single, album cover artwork, clips, etc., but the ridiculous 2-year wait between single and album. Based on what Rush said around the time they released that single, I have to imagine that this is NOT what they originally planned on. I would also imagine, although this is even more speculative, that if they had to do it again knowing what they know now, that they wouldn't have done it this way. They may even regret how things went.

Regardless, there is absolutely nothing we can do about any of it except to wait. Hopefully the album will be worth the wait. I retain healthy skepticism about that, but anything can happen...

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Apr 3 2012, 01:11 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Apr 3 2012, 06:09 PM)
The only thing the Rush fanboys need is a slap!

...of what?

A few things SPRING to mind....

I think he meant this newfangled thing:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/slap-nano6-0.jpg

Except I don't know how to work these dag burn devices! old.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Apr 3 2012, 02:06 PM)
I understand and share in the frustration. I think the key point made above is not the usual waiting for a single, album cover artwork, clips, etc., but the ridiculous 2-year wait between single and album. Based on what Rush said around the time they released that single, I have to imagine that this is NOT what they originally planned on. I would also imagine, although this is even more speculative, that if they had to do it again knowing what they know now, that they wouldn't have done it this way. They may even regret how things went.

Regardless, there is absolutely nothing we can do about any of it except to wait. Hopefully the album will be worth the wait. I retain healthy skepticism about that, but anything can happen...

Of course it's not what they originally planned on, they were a victim of their own success when the TMT was so popular and there was enough demand to continue on with it the following year. Otherwise we likely would have gotten the new album a year ago.

You Need to eat

You Need to drink

You Need to pay taxes

You Need to have money

You Need to wait for the album yes.gif

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Apr 1 2012, 10:23 AM)
I still love how so many people think that Rush THEMSELVES, are the ones keeping the new album and single all "hush hush"...like Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all sitting together right now, in some fancy restaurant, going, "Lets see how crazy and impatient we can make our fans! Wouldn't that be f**king HILARIOUS!?!?!?! ROFL!!!! rofl3.gif "

sarcasm.gif

It's ROADRUNNER. Roadrunner, folks...

This actually doesn't seem that far-fetched to me! I blame Lerxst! rofl3.gif