I had to euthanize my dog Sunday morning :( :(

nobodys hero

If you had told me on Friday morning that my 7 year-old Akita Shiba, would be dead within 48 hours I would have thought you were nuts, yet that is exactly what happened. sad.gif sad.gif

On Friday morning she didn't want to go down the stairs but we got her going by helping her step by step and after a few steps she went the rest of the way herself. She went right outside and laid on the deck where she stayed all day. I tried to get her to eat and drink and she was not interested, just lethargic. Mid-afternoon we tried to get her up and she did not to do that so we carried her in the house. My vet came and checked her out. Asked us if our neighbors could have thrown something poisonous into the yard and she got it, or could she have gotten in to something and although we didn't think so, she did blood work. She did a good exam and got Shiba to stand and she knuckled her back feet, basically like us standing on the top of her feet with her toes being stepped on.The vet had mentioned brain lesion as well as a whole host of other things as nothing was ruled out. She stood on her own a few times although very wobbly and we continued to get her to drink with a turkey baster. Sometime between Friday night and Saturday morning she refused to stand at all. Her blood work came back all clear no problems with any of the organs but she was dehydrated so we took her to urgent care. When they were doing chest and abdomen x-rays she had 2 seizures, so they gave her valium to stop the grand mal. We went home around 2 pm as she was sleeping. When we came back at 8 pm she was still out and they were getting worried something was gong on with her brain but she was still dehydrated so they needed to continue with fluids to see if we could get her up and moving. At 5 am the vet called and told us to come be with her because she had spiked a fever at 2 am and they could not get it down and she had cried in pain when they moved her head/neck.The vet felt they had ruled out everything but the brain (she would need to see a neurologist) and she felt she was not going to make it. So, now she was on antibiotics and pain meds too. We went in and said our goodbyes and let her go. She never did come around after the valium.

My heart is broken as I feel I let her down somehow. She showed no outward symptoms so whether the tumor had just gotten so big or whether she had an aneurism it was so fast, which is good she didn't suffer, but it has left me searching the internet for days about brain tumors and what I could have done differently sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lybbk6oz0K1qdce2so1_500.jpg

sad.gif Oh Cindy... Oh so sad. But she is in a better place if she was in that pain and sounds like it was really fast and that is good thing. Don't beat yourself up as there was really nothing you could do. Every moment you tried and did make her feel comfortable and loved and she loved you back every second.. Be thinking of you.. Take Good Care... hug2.gif

rose.gif rose.gif rose.gif Shiba, careful chasing the cars in doggy heaven....

sad.gif I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet, gorgeous, beloved Shiba. You took care of her and you loved her, and she loved you too. She's not in any pain. You have my sincere condolences. sad.gif

hug2.gif rose.gif hug2.gif

I'm sorry. hug2.gif sad.gif rose.gif

I may have to do the same thing to my cat Geddy soon. He's not eating. We've been force feeding him for a week now. It's one of the toughest decisions we ever half to make.

So very sorry. I know the feeling. We took our dog to the vet 5 years ago because she was not eating , never came home rose.gif

I'm sorry for your loss.

Putting a pet to sleep is one of the most difficult decisions

anyone can make. My mom had to put her dog to sleep

in 2009,and I was over at the house, when she did that.

It was really tough.I know how your feel.

She's in a much better place. My sincere condolences

to you and your family.

I know what you're feeling, believe me. I had to have my 4 year old cat euthanized last August after I noticed the same symptoms of lethargy, not eating or drinking. It turns out he had a stomach tumor. The feeling of guilt (of not acting sooner) and loss I experienced lingered for quite awhile afterward and are still there although not as acute now. I also searched the internet extensively for any info I could find. If you think it may be of any use for you there is a pet loss message board (google it) for grief support you might want to check out. Our pets are happy to live in the moment and don't ask for any more than that. I know it's hard now but try to take solace in that Shiba was loved and had a good life.

My thoughts go out to you. hug2.gif rose.gif sad.gif

It's hard enough to do when they've lived out a long, full life. It would kill me to have to put a young one down.

But yeah, neuro issues. . .bad juju. My mom had a cat that developed either a brain tumor or meningitis. They treated for meningitis (Mom just does not have the $$$$ required to get chemo for a cat), but poor Harry got worse. If it was a tumor, which at that point was the most likely problem, there was just not much of an option.

Shiba relied on you for love and care, even down to making that most difficult and yet kindest decision for her. That in and of itself is a great expression of real love. Bless you for that.

Oh honey! I'm in tears reading that! My sincere and heartfelt condolences to you and your family!

I've never been through that as, apart from a few goldfish that i didnt get attached to, my cat Scooter is my first pet. But I know I will one day have to face that situation.

You loved her and she loved you. You gave her a loving, warm home and I know she would be grateful to you for your love. She's at peace and free from pain.

rose.gif hug2.gif

Very sorry for your loss, it's a really hard decision to make. I've been there and also beat myself up about it for a long time. Always wondering what I could have done differently that might have made a difference.

You did the best you could and made the best decisions that you could and you never stopped loving her. That's the best you can and did do for her. You loved her and gave her a loving and happy home and family.

Again, sorry for your loss it's so very hard.

As I said on Facebook, this has been a horrible, horrible winter for loved ones, human and furry. I'm glad we have each other for support. Take all the time you need to heal, and rest assured you did all you could - there was no way to know. Thank yourself for giving so much love to her years that it made up for those she missed out on. rose.gif Edited by 1 of the 7

I'm sorry sad.gif the dog I grew up with became blind and deaf and really sick and ran away. It wasn't mine but my aunt's who had loved it and cared for it for 15 years, and she just lost him one day, when he ran away. I was 11 at the time so it kinda sucked just watching that. Sorry rose.gif