A Great Band Fails

drbirdsong

I like Never Say Die & Technical Ecstasy. There. I feel better now.

It's Alright is one of the better Lennon pastiches out there.

BILL WARD = THE MAN!

Edit to add: The intro to Air Dance is the dog's nads.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 26 2011, 02:32 PM)

Styx - Cornerstone schla03.gif

pokey.gif

Metallica - St. Anger......still waiting for a guitar solo, any guitar solo

Roger Waters - The Final Cut.........no, I didn't list it as a Floyd album cuz outside of a bit of nice Gilmour guitar work, it ain't Floyd it's a Rog solo LP. An unecessary continuation of themes explored from DSOTM through The Wall and hey Rog, you culminated those themes fabulously on The Wall. It was the masterpiece of those themes of alienation and mental disassociation. Know when to go a different direction instead of beating the dead horse. beathorse.gif

Rolling Stones - Her Satanic Majesties Request.....there's a couple of good songs on this album, particularly 2000 Light Years From Home, but let's face it, they were trying to do their own Sgt. Pepper and that ain't what the Stones are. They're R&B/straight forward rock 'n roll band.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 26 2011, 09:00 PM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 26 2011, 10:51 AM)

Counterparts - Rush

Good Lord....

facepalm.gif

No, I'm not Jesus. Neither can I think of a single likeable track on it.

QUOTE (toscanobarga @ Oct 26 2011, 07:59 PM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 26 2011, 02:42 PM)
Coda by Led Zeppelin

Doesn't count.

A bunch of outtakes that weren't considered to be good enough to be released by the band when they were a functioning entity.

I don't think this is entirely true. I remember reading somewhere, I think it was in Hammer of the Gods (I know, the book is a bit fabricated), that Jimmie Page intended to release the three songs left of of In Through the Out Door as an EP, since they were left off merely because of time constraints.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 26 2011, 09:09 AM)
QUOTE (Tony R @ Oct 26 2011, 03:51 PM)

Prescence - Led Zep
Who Do We Think We Are - Purple
Tormato - Yes

You are awful, but I like you.

I like Tony too, but Tormato is a great f*cking album.

QUOTE (ColdFireYYZ @ Oct 26 2011, 12:42 PM)
Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother (Atom Heart Mother & Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast ruin it. The rest is decent)

I'll agree that Allan's Psychedelic Breakfast was a complete failure, but the Atom Heart Mother suite is a quirky underrated masterpiece. Weird and awkward, but still brilliant.

AHM is a hundred times better than the slit your wrists depressfest that is The Final Cut.

QUOTE (Can-Utility @ Oct 26 2011, 08:05 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 26 2011, 08:03 AM)
Rush - Vapor Trails
King Crimson - Islands
Pink Floyd - The Final Cut
Popol Vuh - City Raga

Honestly, most bad albums by a band don't get more than one listen by me, if that.  I usually take it on faith if an album is completely trashed that it's not worth hearing, unless it's a group that I'm so fanatical about that I HAVE to hear everything by them regardless.

I still think you're insane to not like Islands

Sorry, I don't find much redeeming anything on Islands. The lyrics are clunky and the songs sound forced. A crushing disappointment after the epicocity that is Lizard.

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 26 2011, 07:05 PM)
Coda by Led Zeppelin

Doesn't count.

A bunch of outtakes that weren't considered to be good enough to be released by the band when they were a functioning entity.

I don't think this is entirely true. I remember reading somewhere, I think it was in Hammer of the Gods (I know, the book is a bit fabricated), that Jimmie Page intended to release the three songs left of of In Through the Out Door as an EP, since they were left off merely because of time constraints.

I think only Ozone Baby and Darlene are ITTOD outtakes. The rest, including 2 covers, are leftovers going back to 1969.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 26 2011, 09:01 PM)
Coda by Led Zeppelin

Doesn't count.

I think only Ozone Baby and Darlene are ITTOD outtakes. The rest, including 2 covers, are leftovers going back to 1969.

"Wearing and Tearing" is an ITTOD outtake.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 26 2011, 09:01 PM)
Coda by Led Zeppelin

Doesn't count.

"Wearing and Tearing" is an ITTOD outtake.

I loooooove Wearing and Tearing. One of my top ten favorite Zep songs. I didn't know it was an outtake from ITTOD!

QUOTE (laughedatbytime @ Oct 26 2011, 06:05 PM)
Tull..."A" through Under Wraps

When I went through a major Tull obsession many months ago I pulled those albums out and tried to get into them again and I couldn't.

"Under Wraps" is more like "Under Craps."

I can't stand it.

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Oct 26 2011, 05:01 PM)
Coda by Led Zeppelin

Doesn't count.

A bunch of post breakup leftovers designed to cash in still doesn't count imho

QUOTE (USB Connector @ Oct 26 2011, 08:48 PM)
Caress of Steel - Rush

Hold Your Fire - Rush

you're gonna need to turn in your Backstage Fan Club card tonight if you think COS and HYF are bigger 'failures' than RTB and T4E