Our own version of THAT METAL SHOW throwdown

BeOhBe Bob

Permanent waves or Moving Pictures better album?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Permanent waves or Moving Pictures better album?

• Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures

OK so still a fan of Eddie Junk in his Trunk and That Metal Show, I watched last night's ep, was entertained by his anti rock n roll hall of shame and disgrace shirt sent in by another fan. The guests kicked ass...John Sykes and MIKE PORTNOY who discussed their upcoming release YES TOGETHER, Mike said it's gonna sound old school metal/hard rock. Jim Florentine and Don Jamieson asked if the songs are gonna be less than 20 mins long, and can he deal with that

and then came the throwdown

Which is the better album, Permanent Waves or Moving Pictures and why

Edited by BeOhBe Bob

I'm going with Permanent Waves. Moving Pictures is great but PW gets my vote because Natural Science is one of my favorite Rush songs. The Spirit of Radio is the perfect opener and I'll never get tired of it. I'd be in heaven if they played this album in its entirety live.

Moving Pictures. It sounds fuller and richer, and the songs flow much more naturally. Also, while it doesn't have an equivalent to "Natural Science", it at least doesn't grind to a halt in the middle like Permanent Waves does with "Jacob's Ladder" (a song which does have a counterpart on Moving Pictures, and a superior one, in "The Camera Eye"). I like Permanent Waves, but it just feels uneven next to the consistency and cohesiveness of Moving Pictures.

MP does NOT flow well.

Vital Signs doesn't even FIT on MP.

So it comes to a screeching halt with our hero being chased by the mob.

Then it goes into some fancy lyrical shit that sounds like it's about computers.

I love Vital Signs, I really do. But it's a signals song.

Man, that's a toughie. I think MP does flow well, and it inches out PW by a hair. But only a hair.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Oct 9 2011, 11:54 PM)
MP does NOT flow well.
Then it goes into some fancy lyrical shit that sounds like it's about computers.

Totally agree.

When I was first getting into Rush years ago, I kept forgetting that Vital Signs wasn't on Signals - "signals get crossed, and the balance distorted" - took me a few tries to keep the track list straight.

And I can't stand Witch Hunt. It's boring.

QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 10 2011, 09:38 AM)
MP does NOT flow well.

Totally agree.

When I was first getting into Rush years ago, I kept forgetting that Vital Signs wasn't on Signals - "signals get crossed, and the balance distorted" - took me a few tries to keep the track list straight.

I couldn't disagree more with these posts.

I went with Moving Pictures, Because that was the Album that defined RUSH!

Even though Permanent Waves had TSOR and FW,as signature songs, MP defined it with Tom Sawyer, Limelight and of Course YYZ.

Note: (There no instrumental on PeW)

"2 Points for MP"

Now taking the Epics into consideration, Permanent Waves wins out over The Camera Eye with two Epics Natural Science & Jacobs Ladder.

"2 Points for PeW"

Now that leaves the other songs IMO.

Red Barchetta > Different Strings

Entre Nous > Witch Hunt

Vital Signs > ? (Well There nothing left)

"1 point for MP"

So there you have it Moving Pictures wins by One Point!

I still would like to hear Different Strings Live as an acoustic piece after Alex's Solo! 1022.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Oct 10 2011, 10:30 AM)
QUOTE (danielmclark @ Oct 10 2011, 09:38 AM)
MP does NOT flow well.

Totally agree.

I couldn't disagree more with these posts.

yes.gif

Vital Signs would fit on any Rush album. 1022.gif

And MP flows just fine. That album is as close to a masterpiece as there is.

Can not answer...both are flawless in their own right. There are days when I reach for one over the other, but not because one is better than the other.

QUOTE (tangy @ Oct 10 2011, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Oct 10 2011, 10:04 AM)
Permanent Waves.

Both albums are great and are about even. What breaks the tie for me is Natural Science 1022.gif

bingo!

Seconded.

Third..ed?

For me it comes down to the respective. TCE rocks, but it's the lyrical content of NatSci that just gets me everytime. I can get sick of listening to TCE on loop forever. I'll never get sick of NatSci. wink.gif

"Art as expression

Not as market campaigns

Will still capture our imaginations.."

wub.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ Oct 10 2011, 06:24 PM)
Can not answer...both are flawless in their own right. There are days when I reach for one over the other, but not because one is better than the other.

Agreed.

Moving Pictures

PeW is way overrated in my book - Natural Science and Jacob's Ladder are the main offenders here. NatSci is a bit overrated and not appealing to say "Oh, I'm just going to listen to Nat Sci!" and Jacob's Ladder is just plain boring at times.

Of, course, Pew also has 2 of the top 3 songs between both albums combines - TSOR and Different Strings. (The #1 song is Red Barchetta) However, the overall flow is not as good and the songs are better alone than they are in the context of the album.

Moving Pictures, on the other hand, flows very well and each song contributes to the whole much more evidently.

So... MP it is! yes.gif

Moving Pictures...we really start to hear the synth influence that I love, and it's so evocative of the time it was written, yet doesn't sound dated. I'll admit a lot of how I feel is influenced by hearing the songs on this album growing up more frequently than those on Permanent Waves.