Worst concert you ever saw??

reani14

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 8 2011, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:18 AM)
I asked my father what was the worst show he's been to. He's seen dozens of shows and replied without any thought, Bob Dylan.

Yeah, when you get Bob on one of his off-nights he can be a bewildering bore.

I love the guy, and I've seen him light up a stage like a Catherine Wheel, but some nights(in particular one evening in Galway...fuuuuck, it was awful) it really is like listening to paint dry.

I must have completely blocked out that experience!

We went to see Bob Dylan, primarily because The Alarm was opening for him.

He mumbled through about 30 minutes and walked off. Everyone was just standing there wondering WTF? That was it. A total rip-off.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Unattractive Truth @ Oct 8 2011, 03:23 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Oct 8 2011, 04:27 AM)
QUOTE (Union 5-3992 @ Oct 8 2011, 12:18 AM)
I asked my father what was the worst show he's been to. He's seen dozens of shows and replied without any thought, Bob Dylan.

Yeah, when you get Bob on one of his off-nights he can be a bewildering bore.

I love the guy, and I've seen him light up a stage like a Catherine Wheel, but some nights(in particular one evening in Galway...fuuuuck, it was awful) it really is like listening to paint dry.

I must have completely blocked out that experience!

We went to see Bob Dylan, primarily because The Alarm was opening for him.

He mumbled through about 30 minutes and walked off. Everyone was just standing there wondering WTF? That was it. A total rip-off.

Oh, he's such a cantankerous bollocks. That woeful night in Galway, he voice-farted his way through some lesser lights in his oeuvre, so we bailed before the encore, and then just as I was outside the venue, he launched into the best version of Watchtower I've ever heard. The wanker.

QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Oct 7 2011, 03:39 PM)

REO Speedwagon was the only disappointment for me back in '82 , just lifeless and dull and they played less than 90 minutes.

.I saw this tour and you are right, they blew . I saw them in 1981 and they were Great . Now they do Rib fests laugh.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 8 2011, 12:12 PM)
QUOTE (nappy2112 @ Oct 7 2011, 03:39 PM)

REO Speedwagon was the only disappointment for me back in '82 , just lifeless and dull and they played less than 90 minutes.

.I saw this tour and you are right, they blew . I saw them in 1981 and they were Great . Now they do Rib fests laugh.gif

I saw REO in late '82. Am assuming it was the same tour ('Good Trouble'). I thought they were great. Yes, the show was under 90 minutes, but so were a lot of concerts back then.

There's a live show circulating somewhere on the internet from a show from that tour. I believe it was the Milwaukee show.

Of course, I've never seen them before nor since, so I can't compare.

Clem.

QUOTE (Invisible To Telescopic Eye @ Oct 5 2011, 10:17 PM)
I've seen a shitload of concerts, some huge events others just shows at clubs. Some I have fond, vivid memories of, others I have so little recollection of the ghosts of their memories vanished long ago.

Some shows were just one hit bands seen on a whim that I was either dragged to, or went willingly but either got bored so quickly, or just never gave enough of a crap about to see them perform so I'm not gonna even think about counting those.

As for the worst shows...

Madonna 2001 Drowned World Tour. Was really excited to finally see her and got tickets in advance for $87 a copy...Seats were second row from the top in a forgotten corner of the arena. She didn't play a single song I knew except Holiday. Visually it was impressive but she didn't seem like she wanted to be there for even one second of the night (I'm still waiting to get my 87 bucks back).

Backstreet Boys 1999 tour....I'm no fan of their music but went to say I saw them...I have no idea what I was thinking...Great if you were an 11 year old girl. Left less than half way through. They didn't even have a cool stage set up.

Tool...1993 Undertow tour....Maynard didn't seem very happy with the crowd which was crammed into a small venue to see them. He angrily left the stage a few times within the first few songs. He then removed all of his cloths, tucked his pecker between his legs and assumed a crucified Jesus pose...He then left the stage never to return and the crowd was informed the show was over after only a few songs....Now this doesn't really qualify as a bad show because it was so crazy, but I'm still pissed at the asshole Maynard for behaving like such a prick.

There are others, but these are all I can list right now.

I forgot the worst show ever!!!!

Dream Theater and Queensryche back in like 2003.

I was never really exposed to too much DT and seeing them live was too much exposure...You guys know what I'm talking about..It was like an hour and a half of scales. It was like 5 show offs competing to see who could be the biggest show off...I don't think I heard a single dose of riffage...Sure they play great but they don't play great songs.

It was awful!!!

Then Queensryche just sorta slushed (or oozed is more like it) out onto the stage (and I'm a fan).

They played about 4 songs I didn't recognize with no energy or enthusiasm and that was it for me...what a shitty night...I was never so happy to have left a show.

Led Zepplin

July 20, 1977

Tempe, AZ US

A.S.U. Activities Center Arena

Setlist:

The Song Remains The Same, (The Rover intro) Sick Again, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Over the Hills and Far Away, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, Battle of Evermore, Going to California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Trampled Underfoot, Black Mountainside ~ Kashmir, Jimmy Page solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway to Heaven.

How many ways can I say they sucked? From Bonham being incoherent, to Paige being too high to play, Robert trying to hit notes he no longer could, and poor John trying to hold them together.

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Oct 9 2011, 01:33 PM)
Led Zepplin
July 20, 1977
Tempe, AZ US
Setlist:
The Song Remains The Same, (The Rover intro) Sick Again, Nobody's Fault But Mine, Over the Hills and Far Away, Since I've Been Loving You, No Quarter, Ten Years Gone, Battle of Evermore, Going to California, Black Country Woman, Bron-Y-Aur Stomp, Trampled Underfoot, Black Mountainside ~ Kashmir, Jimmy Page solo, Achilles Last Stand, Stairway to Heaven.

How many ways can I say they sucked? From Bonham being incoherent, to Paige being too high to play, Robert trying to hit notes he no longer could, and poor John trying to hold them together.

Wow. What a shame.

For me, Poison in about 87. Spectacularly awful. Also, an honourable (dishonourable) mention to Pennywise.

This may upset a few people, but I saw Queen at Wembley Stadium on the Its A Kind Of Magic tour - they had Inxs and Status Quo supporting them. What could go wrong?

Queen played mostly their newer pop songs - sorry I much prefer their earlier heavy stuff. And, they did a bloody rock and roll medley which seemed to go on forever - could have easily slipped in a couple of their stonewall "killer" songs. The place was going crazy...but I was well pissed off!!!

QUOTE (2112mjh @ Oct 9 2011, 01:08 PM)
This may upset a few people, but I saw Queen at Wembley Stadium on the Its A Kind Of Magic tour - they had Inxs and Status Quo supporting them. What could go wrong?
Queen played mostly their newer pop songs - sorry I much prefer their earlier heavy stuff. And, they did a bloody rock and roll medley which seemed to go on forever - could have easily slipped in a couple of their stonewall "killer" songs. The place was going crazy...but I was well pissed off!!!

Wow, I thought those 2 Wembley nights were superb. And I loved the acoustic medley in the middle especially when they ran back to their instruments for the climax of Tutti-Frutti. Magic. Total entertainment. It would have been great to have gotten more older stuff, but I thought the Magic tour setlist was very well balanced.

For a stadium crowd it was perfect.

Here's Tutti, love it around 1:37 when Rog legs it back to the kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrHPt6CsJA

Here's the whole medley. They seemed so happy and together for this tour, such a f*cking shame it was their last one.

Edited by Hatchetaxe&saw

I loved seeing Tina Turner on tour in 1997, but Cyndi Lauper was the opening act and she was god awful. She was pregnant at the time (not that there is anything wrong with that), but she looked as if she should have stayed home and gotten rest. Her makeup was sloppy and she didn't play some of best tunes.

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Oct 8 2011, 10:33 PM)
Led Zepplin
July 20, 1977
Tempe, AZ US
Setlist:

wow, talk about a heartbreaker.

I left mid concert both times i saw bob dylan. cool10.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 9 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 9 2011, 02:38 PM)

Andy Gibb.

Can I assume you were dragged there by a team of pachyderms?

Uh, yeah....that's the ticket... unsure.gif

Actually I was 8...i.e. young and stupid. My dad is the one that should be pitied because he took me.

But the upside is that earlier that day I got my picture taken with Darth Vader. That's right: Darth Vader AND Andy Gibb in the same day. It's been all downhill since then.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 9 2011, 03:42 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Oct 9 2011, 01:50 PM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Oct 9 2011, 02:38 PM)

Andy Gibb.

Can I assume you were dragged there by a team of pachyderms?

Uh, yeah....that's the ticket... unsure.gif

Actually I was 8...i.e. young and stupid. My dad is the one that should be pitied because he took me.

But the upside is that earlier that day I got my picture taken with Darth Vader. That's right: Darth Vader AND Andy Gibb in the same day. It's been all downhill since then.

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/teensbadge/Star%20Wars/Annakin.jpg

My wife and I walked out on Pearl Jam. It was the Binaural tour. I hated that album with a passion (pure crap) but always enjoyed Pearl Jam live. I had seen them 4 times prior and they always kicked ass.

Half way through this show (which we had great 5th row seats for) I was almost falling asleep. They were taking literally 2-3 minutes between songs talking amongst themselves on what to play next, playing songs either way too slow or way too fast. The set list was utter shlock and uninspired.

We left early and were very disappointed.

I saw GNR open for Motley Crue in 1987 and they were god awful. unbearable in fact. The sound was so loud and really inaudible.

Van Halen on their last tour with David Lee Roth. Pure unadulterated crap.

My wife and I walked out on Pearl Jam. It was the Binaural tour. I hated that album with a passion (pure crap) but always enjoyed Pearl Jam live. I had seen them 4 times prior and they always kicked ass.

Half way through this show (which we had great 5th row seats for) I was almost falling asleep. They were taking literally 2-3 minutes between songs talking amongst themselves on what to play next, playing songs either way too slow or way too fast. The set list was utter shlock and uninspired.

We left early and were very disappointed.

I saw GNR open for Motley Crue in 1987 and they were god awful. unbearable in fact. The sound was so loud and really inaudible.

Van Halen on their last tour with David Lee Roth. Pure unadulterated crap.

QUOTE (2112mjh @ Oct 9 2011, 08:08 AM)

You speak blasphemy!!

Although I too prefer their earlier heavier stuff. The pop songs that they played live were heavier live than they were on the album. for example 'Its a kind of magic' really rocked live because it was a bit less synth heavy and Brian added more guitar.

Consider yourself lucky you got to see them at Wembley

QUOTE (how it ought to be @ Oct 8 2011, 08:33 PM)
Led Zepplin
July 20, 1977
Tempe, AZ US
Setlist:

I saw them 3 days earlier in Seattle at the Kingdome. Waited in line all night so I was 15 ft. from the stage (could've been front row but stage was awfully high so we chose to be back just a bit but still really close). I gotta say our show was better than yours. Not great, but decent. Plant was in pretty good voice for our show and Bonham was not trashed. Page started out like shit but by the 2nd half was much, much better (heroin either wore off or kicked in or.....?).

For years, those were my impressions of the concert and then when the bootlegs from that show started circulating I was stoked to find the show I attended and wanted to see if my recollections were correct. They were. Anyone who's watched the Seattle '77 show I think will pretty much agree with my thoughts here.

A shame your show was so bad. Mine from that tour has never been in my list of good shows but likewise it's never been in my list of bad ones either.

Edited by driventotheedge

Collective Soul/ Aerosmith

08/26/1994

Roanoke Civic Center, Roanoke VA

This was on Aerosmith's 'Get A Grip' tour, back in the heyday of the Alicia Silverstone video craze. At this show, they played all 3 of those songs ("Cryin'", "Crazy", and "Amazing"). And, if I'm not mistaken, they played them all right after the other. All of the teeny-boppers were loving it. But, I wanted to hear "Seasons Of Wither", "Kings And Queens", "Big Ten Inch Record" and stuff like that.

Guess I was a couple decades too late for that!

System of a Down - HOB, Myrtle Beach, SC (2000)

Incubus was at the show, that was the only highlight. I had to drag my wife there also. Mr. Bungle was the opening act, and the fans booed mostly.

Edited by raptorcox

QUOTE (cfmoran13 @ Oct 10 2011, 09:48 AM)
Collective Soul/ Aerosmith
08/26/1994
Roanoke Civic Center, Roanoke VA

This was on Aerosmith's 'Get A Grip' tour, back in the heyday of the Alicia Silverstone video craze. At this show, they played all 3 of those songs ("Cryin'", "Crazy", and "Amazing"). And, if I'm not mistaken, they played them all right after the other. All of the teeny-boppers were loving it. But, I wanted to hear "Seasons Of Wither", "Kings And Queens", "Big Ten Inch Record" and stuff like that.

Guess I was a couple decades too late for that!

I saw that show in Kansas City. Aerosmith definitely phoned it in that night, and looked totally uninspired. They did play 'Seasons of Wither' though.

I hate to say this, because I really do love the band, but Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime II show was an unmitigated disaster! They were trying way too hard to tell the story through theatrics on stage. They didn't let the music speak for itself. I wasn't a huge fan of OMII but it would have been MUCH better without Geoff's attempted acting. Cringe worthy!!

QUOTE (tjtull @ Oct 10 2011, 02:28 PM)
I hate to say this, because I really do love the band, but Queensryche's Operation Mindcrime II show was an unmitigated disaster! They were trying way too hard to tell the story through theatrics on stage. They didn't let the music speak for itself. I wasn't a huge fan of OMII but it would have been MUCH better without Geoff's attempted acting. Cringe worthy!!

I last saw them when they were touring just before O:MII came out, at the House of Blues in Orlando. They did a bunch of random stuff then O:M in its entirety, with theatrics - and it was really good. There were some cheesy parts, but overall, it was pretty good. At the end, they announced O:MII and the place went nuts.

Little did we know... eh.gif b_sigh.gif