Worst concert you ever saw??

reani14

I have seen some really bad shows but nothing broke my heart more than Iron Maiden in 1998. Blaze was the singer and the first half of the show was all Blaze era songs. I have never in my life seen Maiden get booed, but they did . Then the crowd starts chanting Dio because he was the opener. That was Blaze Last tour. I also got to say Van Halen on the Balance tour. Eddie was Fat and could not walk because of his hip and Alex played with a neck brace . The crowd just sat there like What the hell is this ?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (apetersvt @ Oct 5 2011, 04:19 PM)
Worst band I ever saw was The Melvins. They were opening for Primus, and I enjoyed their set, so technical it wan't the worst concert I ever saw.

The worst concert was Hootie and the Blowfish. Got 'talked into' going for a wedding anniversary. Thank goodness they only played 90 minutes.

ohmy.gif What was wrong with them?

Worst band I've ever seen live is a local one called 'Mutant Zombie Fetus' who were bad in just about every way imaginable.

Worst 'biggish' band I've seen is probably Job for a Cowboy, for similar reasons, who were supporting Megadeth about 5 years ago.

hawkwind, (lemmy era) i was expecting a psychadelic rock fest but all i got was a wall of noise, squealing sax ,amp feedback,chest splitting bass,

inaudable vocals, ......awful

However i still rate "space ritual" as one of the greatest live albums ever! 1022.gif

1980-81ish Van Halen Woman and Children First tour. Way too loud, bad sound, drunk DLR. A band called Rail opened for them and the crowd was screaming for them to come back. I think VH played for 30 min.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Oct 5 2011, 01:41 PM)
I also got to say Van Halen on the Balance tour. Eddie was Fat and could not walk because of his hip and Alex played with a neck brace . The crowd just sat there like What the hell is this ?

LOL...that had to be bad.

A couple of good shows I saw...Zappa in 84...Zappa in 88...Zappa plays Zappa in Canton with Bozzio and Vai onboard....

others:

Alannis Morrisette with Gary Novak on drums..great show

Tori Amos...extremely talented with great band when I saw her.

Dave Matthews...have seen 2 good shows and one bad.

Buddy Rich in 86 (got to help pack his drums afterward)

Steve Vai in 94,95...

KISS in heydey 1978...

Believe it or not INXS put on a great show back in their heydey.

Missing Persons back in 84

MOBY at some festival

Dizzy Gillespie

Louie Bellson

Aretha Franklin

Jojo Mayer and Nerve

Black eyed peas (when they were a band...look for old clips) they were cool when opening for No Doubt...a band...funky with various influences...now they are a computer game with cartoon characters. rthis was Pre-Fergie. I almost could not believe what they became...one of the most unreal transformations ever.

saw KISS a couple times post reunion its cool but you know exactly what you are going to get before you get it.

Out of the four shows I've been to. I think maybe BB King was the worst. Mostly because the sound in the place sounded bad and he played a song twice by mistake. It was still a great show, and it was much better than I thought it would be because usually he just talks for about 2 hours. In this he actually played for 2 hours.

Black Crowes, UC Davis Rec Hall, 1992.

They were headlining, and they played for about two and a half hours. They must have played....six songs. Every single song they played ended with a ridiculous, 20 minute, Grateful Dead Wanna Be jam. They just meandered all over the place with no focus or direction. It was terrible. We left without staying for the encore.

AC/DC, Arco Arena Sacramento, 2001

Talk about ridiculous! Seriously, my wife and I were laughing at how stupid that show was. It was like a parody, like Spinal Tap, only not funny.

David Lee Roth, Cow Palace San Francisco, 1986

I was so disappointed, having loved early Van Halen and DLR's first solo album. What a waste! He was completely trashed by the third song, and "sang" flat the whole night (more like just screamed incoherently). It was a distorted, stupid, sloppy mess.

As far as singular headlining shows go, I really haven't see a bad one

Metallica, Foo Fighters, Rush, No Doubt, System of a Down, The Police, Green Day have all been headlining shows I've seen the past few years and they all rocked

I will say I saw Guns and Roses in the late 80's and those piece of shits didn't go on stage until like 1AM. I think they sounded alright but I was so worked up I hardly noticed

SOme of the worst live acts I've seen, I saw only because they were part of a festival

They include:

Pennywise (Awful band)

Velvet Revolver (Sound was terrible and Scott Weiland sounded like crap)

Rise Against

Motley Crue (This was at a festival and Motley Crue was supposed to be the headlines but Foo Fighters were on before them and half the audience left when Motley Crue came on...kinda funny)

For me, I think it had to be Ratt in 1986 on their Dancing Undercover tour. You could tell they were high that night, and they played too loud and distorted. At least Cheap Trick was pretty good that night.

Another band I saw that SUCKED was Autograph.

It's a toss-up between Def Leppard in 2003 and Motley Crue in 1999. Def Leppard were touring on their X album, which was tanking, and they came onstage a hour late and extremely wasted. Terrible playing, terrible vocals. All around horrible performance - I wish I'd seen them in their heyday.

Crue was touring with the Scorpions on the "Maximum Rock Tour" which was to support Scorp's Eye II Eye and Crue's re-release of their catalog, and while the band was generally pretty fine, Vince Neil couldn't sing more than a line without getting winded. You know that move where a lead singer will hold up the microphone to the audience, like "okay, now YOU sing it!" - well, he did that with every third lyric.... throughout the entire show. It was just sad. The only thing sadder was watching the women who were 25 and smokin' hot back in 1984 trying to squeeze back into their old leather pants and halter tops, pushing 40 and having had a few kids. Jeans & t-shirts, ladies... you can still look sexy in jeans & t-shirts.

On the flip side that night, the Scorpions, who have about a decade on the Crue, kicked major ass. One of the best shows I've seen.

I've seen 3 headlining bands. Rush (x2), Styx (x2), and Yes. All three were really great, but Yes was the weakest. I mean, they're like 70 years old! They were still good, but... I don't know, it just didn't have that much energy, both onstage or off stage. confused13.gif

Yes/Styx had an opener and he was just a boring acoustic guitar guy. confused13.gif

So for me, no really bad band I've seen. Rush and Styx were as tight and awesome as all get out both times, of course. biggrin.gif 1022.gif

I've seen a shitload of concerts, some huge events others just shows at clubs. Some I have fond, vivid memories of, others I have so little recollection of the ghosts of their memories vanished long ago.

Some shows were just one hit bands seen on a whim that I was either dragged to, or went willingly but either got bored so quickly, or just never gave enough of a crap about to see them perform so I'm not gonna even think about counting those.

As for the worst shows...

Madonna 2001 Drowned World Tour. Was really excited to finally see her and got tickets in advance for $87 a copy...Seats were second row from the top in a forgotten corner of the arena. She didn't play a single song I knew except Holiday. Visually it was impressive but she didn't seem like she wanted to be there for even one second of the night (I'm still waiting to get my 87 bucks back).

Backstreet Boys 1999 tour....I'm no fan of their music but went to say I saw them...I have no idea what I was thinking...Great if you were an 11 year old girl. Left less than half way through. They didn't even have a cool stage set up.

Tool...1993 Undertow tour....Maynard didn't seem very happy with the crowd which was crammed into a small venue to see them. He angrily left the stage a few times within the first few songs. He then removed all of his cloths, tucked his pecker between his legs and assumed a crucified Jesus pose...He then left the stage never to return and the crowd was informed the show was over after only a few songs....Now this doesn't really qualify as a bad show because it was so crazy, but I'm still pissed at the asshole Maynard for behaving like such a prick.

There are others, but these are all I can list right now.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Oct 5 2011, 10:29 AM)
Let's hear it> The worst concert i ever saw was summer of 2007 THE POLICE in philly. It blew and i like the police , they played all their songs in slow tempo and changed alot of the arrangements. They seemed unispired and just going through the motions. We had those cheap 50 dollar seats. so i had to deal with rowdy drunks. I swear the guy standing next to me was on some major ass coke. He kept throwing his arms up blocking my shitty view the whole entire concert. can coke do that to you?? he was like in his 40's too.
I was so bored. at one point i got up and took a walk around the venue, and was talking to this lady and she said she was so bored too... BORING!!!. Quess it dont help that i seen rush a few weeks earlier..

This is weird but I had a similar experience to reani which makes me a little worried... My company had a seminar in Vegas earlier this summer and the entertainment was John Mellencamp. While not a fan I remember a lot of his earlier videos portrayed him as having a high energy live show. All of his songs (that I stayed for) were completely slowed down and had their arrangements drastically changed. We kept waiting for it to get better and, nothing. Ended up leaving after 5 songs.

QUOTE (reani14 @ Oct 5 2011, 09:29 AM)
Let's hear it> The worst concert i ever saw was summer of 2007 THE POLICE in philly. It blew and i like  the police , they played all their songs in slow tempo and changed alot of the arrangements. They seemed unispired and just going through the motions. We had those cheap 50 dollar seats. so i had to deal with rowdy drunks. I swear the guy standing next to me was on some major ass coke. He kept throwing his arms up blocking my shitty view the whole entire concert. can coke do that to you?? he was like in his 40's too.
I was so bored. at one point i got up and took a walk around the venue, and was talking to this lady and she said she was so bored too... BORING!!!.  Quess it dont help that i seen rush a few weeks earlier..

This was my experiance with U2,

in 2006 or so,

BTW, Best show I have ever seen was U2 ( 1988 )

Go Figure ! ! confused13.gif

yes.gif I have seen 1000 shows ( see my list in other thread ) 99% great !

2x I saw Boston

1985 ? or so, Volume was so low you could casualy talk over it, Bad

1993 ? or so, Replacement singers SUCK, why even try ! ! Should have known better & stayed home.

I agree, Def Leppards "X" tour, bad bad bad 062802puke_prv.gif

bekloppt.gif

Eddie Money (free concert) was drunk off his ass and could barely mumble through the set. Funny for a while...but...

Joe Satriani bored the hell out of me when he opened for Steve Miller. Tix were free.

David Lee Roth's Eat Em & Smile in Spokane was pretty weak. He seemed merely human, which was disappointing for a rock god like him. 1/3 of the seats empty didn't help. Also free tix.

Thankfully, any show I've paid for has rocked. 1287.gif

QUOTE (goose @ Oct 5 2011, 08:46 PM)
Eddie Money (free concert) was drunk off his ass and could barely mumble through the set. Funny for a while...but...

Joe Satriani bored the hell out of me when he opened for Steve Miller. Tix were free.

David Lee Roth's Eat Em & Smile in Spokane was pretty weak. He seemed merely human, which was disappointing for a rock god like him. 1/3 of the seats empty didn't help. Also free tix.

Thankfully, any show I've paid for has rocked. 1287.gif

I saw Eddie Money - similar experience - $25 for John Waits, Lou Gramm, Eddie Money and Rick Springfield. Eddie Money was so high/drunk that he couldn't get his microphone in the mike stand. His daughter came out with her feather boa and sang the "Ronnie" "be my little baby" part on "Take Me Home Tonight" - the whole thing was a little disturbing. Rick Springfield was actually awesome though and was worth the $25, and more, all by himself. Thought it was going to be really "poppy", but he was super high energy and really good.

QUOTE (happenstance @ Oct 5 2011, 11:55 PM)
QUOTE (goose @ Oct 5 2011, 08:46 PM)
Eddie Money (free concert) was drunk off his ass and could barely mumble through the set.  Funny for a while...but...

David Lee Roth's Eat Em & Smile in Spokane was pretty weak.  He seemed merely human, which was disappointing for a rock god like him.  1/3 of the seats empty didn't help.  Also free tix.

Thankfully, any show I've paid for has rocked.  1287.gif

I saw Eddie Money - similar experience - $25 for John Waits, Lou Gramm, Eddie Money and Rick Springfield. Eddie Money was so high/drunk that he couldn't get his microphone in the mike stand. His daughter came out with her feather boa and sang the "Ronnie" "be my little baby" part on "Take Me Home Tonight" - the whole thing was a little disturbing. Rick Springfield was actually awesome though and was worth the $25, and more, all by himself. Thought it was going to be really "poppy", but he was super high energy and really good.

Glad Rick was able to save the show!

Welcome, btw!

trink39.gif

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Oct 5 2011, 11:54 PM)
QUOTE (Tommy Sawyer @ Oct 5 2011, 06:58 PM)
I've seen 3 headlining bands. Rush (x2), Styx (x2), and Yes.

you need to get out more son...there's a world of music awaiting you

Concert tickets are no longer ten bucks a piece. wink.gif

I've only paid to see one band, and that was RUSH. Every other show I've been to (Tiempo Libre, Cheap Trick, REO Speedwagon, Kansas, Styx, Foreigner, on and on...) have all been free. I'm just really lucky about where I live that they keep bringing back big names every Fourth of July weekend.

Should clarify: I saw Tiempo Libre during the Jazz on the Green festival, not during the Bank of the West concert.

Edited by CMWriter