What was your first concert EVER?

Good Topic,

My second concert was Van Halen same year I think,following the release of "Van Halen"Actually,they were opening for Black Sabbath.The line up was Ramones,Van Halen,and Black Sabbath.I went to see them again the next year after "Van Halen II,they were headliners.

You saw Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die! tour? Very cool. Word is that VH blew them off the stage though.

Good Topic,

My second concert was Van Halen same year I think,following the release of "Van Halen"Actually,they were opening for Black Sabbath.The line up was Ramones,Van Halen,and Black Sabbath.I went to see them again the next year after "Van Halen II,they were headliners.

You saw Black Sabbath on the Never Say Die! tour? Very cool. Word is that VH blew them off the stage though.

Was that the word from DLR maybe ?

The night I saw that tour (Glasgow Apollo) VH got a decent reception but the crowd was absolutely nuts for Sabbath and they most certainly weren't blown off stage.

Good Topic,

The night I saw that tour (Glasgow Apollo) VH got a decent reception but the crowd was absolutely nuts for Sabbath and they most certainly weren't blown off stage.

:LOL:

But honestly, I've read that from a number of sources talking about the actual performances, not crowd response. I would expect people at a Black Sabbath concert to respond favorably to them. But by Never Say Die! Ozzy was running out of gas, and VH were the new upstarts. I have at least one boot from that tour, and Sabbath sounds fine to me. I'm a fan though.

Good Topic,

But honestly, I've read that from a number of sources talking about the actual performances, not crowd response. I would expect people at a Black Sabbath concert to respond favorably to them. But by Never Say Die! Ozzy was running out of gas, and VH were the new upstarts. I have at least one boot from that tour, and Sabbath sounds fine to me. I'm a fan though.

Maybe it was a night-to-night thing, but the Sabs were on fire that night. I was a fan of both, I had just bought the VH1 album and had been a Sab fan for a while.

They still had that bizarre Tony-Iommi-Center-Stage setup thing going.

My first concert was Jay-Z and 50 Cent back in 2003 (I was 16). The openers were Snoop Dogg, Fabolous, and Sean Paul.

Yes, my interests have changed a bit since then...

Good Topic,

Maybe it was a night-to-night thing, but the Sabs were on fire that night. I was a fan of both, I had just bought the VH1 album and had been a Sab fan for a while.

They still had that bizarre Tony-Iommi-Center-Stage setup thing going.

Its funny that he didn't do that with Ronnie.

Grand Funk Railroad, June 21, 1974 in Spokane, WA at the Coliseum

I looked it up online :-)

I knew who I saw and was pretty sure it was summer of '74 but now I know for sure.

Did they do "Closer to My Home"?

Yes, and We're An American Band and Inside Looking Out and.....

Do you have any idea how jealous I am that you saw Spirit at theit height? Fukkin A Lorraine! Do you remember the setlist?

On a side note relative to your post, I saw The Kinks in Seattle in the mid-80s. They were touring to support Word of Mouth, a very underrated album IMO.

Do I remember the setlist??? :laughing guy: :laughing guy: That was 44 years ago!!! As it is, I can barely remember my name some days and will soon have to start wearing an ID bracelet.

What I do remember is not being disappointed, so they must have played most if not all of the songs off "The Family That Plays Together". That's another album I wore out. Don't think there was a song I didn't like on that one. I think they did "Ice" too. There were two bands before them - Bonzo Dog Band, then The Kinks, and then Spirit came on. I doubt if their set was longer than an hour.

if you go to setlist.fm you can find sets for shows even older than that

Good Topic,

I know a guy who saw sabbath with van halen and the ramones on that tour. he said the ramones weren't very well-received

Good Topic,

I know a guy who saw sabbath with van halen and the ramones on that tour. he said the ramones weren't very well-received

Not surprising with that bill. They would've been great then too. Ridiculous.

First concert was Rush just last year on September 18th 2012 in Detroit. Probably the greatest experience in my life. Yes, I'm a young Rush fan at the age of 16.
  • Like 3

Good Topic,

Not surprising with that bill. They would've been great then too. Ridiculous.

My concert going buddy saw VH open for Sabbath somewhere in the NY/NJ area. He said having VH as an opening band was a bad idea.

That time period Sabbath were tired and drugged and VH were young and hungry, and having Eddie on stage... enough said.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers at the Hollywood Bowl in June 2008, with Steve Winwood as the opening act. I think I was about 11.
  • Like 1

First concert (not counting kids shows at the local children's festival) was The Bare Naked Ladies, December 2005 at the MTS centre. The first really special concert I went to where I knew most of the material was Weird Al in June 2007, same place.

My first arena concert was also AC/DC For Those About to Rock, at The Capital Centre outside D.C., cannons and all. I wasn't even that close to the stage and my ears buzzed the entire next day through school.

Yup. I can't tell you how many bands I've seen since then, many of them metal bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Dio, etc., and I'm confident AC/DC was the loudest.

I saw them in 2009 and they are the 2nd loudest band I've ever seen behind KISS.

interesting that KISS and AC/DC are the loudest bands you've seen still

I've seen a ton of bands but they are the only two that have left my ears ringing for 3+ days.

I saw KISS once the first ROCK concert for me with the Isley Brothers being THE FIRST concert of hundreds in 1978 Capital Centre Landover Maryland. The Isley Brothers were loud but the next week when I saw KISS they were omg out there as far concert volume. HOWEVER, the loudest band of many metal, rock you name it has to be by far ACDC. Hell,I even served the entire band (no Angus he stayed on the bus! i got so many gifts from them that am) and road crew breakfast when I worked at Denny's back in college (Fly On The Wall Tour Hampton VA). Maybe it's my age but for the first time in many many concerts I wore heavy duty earplugs to the Black Ice Tour when I took my daughter. I was warned prior to the show how loud this tour was going to be but my ears were STILL ringing for 2 days after both shows in DC.

So ACDC must pride themselves on being one of the loudest bands in rock and the kindest they left me a hefty tip which paid my rent.

• Like 1

LOL, My first concert was Hank Williams, Jr., in Augusta, GA. I don't think I'd go see him today, but, back then, when I was a kid, that's all we knew, and it kicked ass.

Sounds like a fun show!

LOL, My first concert was Hank Williams, Jr., in Augusta, GA. I don't think I'd go see him today, but, back then, when I was a kid, that's all we knew, and it kicked ass.

Sounds like a fun show!

Bocephus has a ton of killer songs. i bet that was a fun gig.

Rush Signals Tour...back to back nights down here in South Florida. One of those shows was the infamous tear gas show.

1st concert I ever went to was George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers. My older sister and her 1st hubby took me. There idea. I did not even know who George Thorogood was and had no real interest in going but figured "Hey, its free, and If its free, its for me". Saw them in Syracuse NY in a baseball stadium the summer of 1984.

My reaction was "This was a rock concert? What's the big deal about them. Its lame. Don't know if I will be bothered going to another one - ever. Their boring"

1st concert I went to on my own by my choice? Triumph with E. Malmstein opening, fall of 1986 in the Rochester (NY) War Memorial. Triumph had released "The Sport of Kings" and was touring supporting it. My reaction to that show? "Holy Spit!!! What a show!!" Could not wait to see my next concert. That turned out to be Iron Maiden on The Somewhere in Time" tour with Waystead opening. Good show.

Triumph was great (Malmstein was nothing special). Wondered for some years if it was just luck or what but years latter got some DVD's of Triumph live - they were great live.

1st Rush show? Presto tour in Albany NY.