56 members have voted

1. 1. Admin's behavior should be held to a higher standard:

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 8 2010, 09:12 AM)
I vote yes regarding if admins/mods should be held to a certain standard. Because... we do. We always have. Every admin and mod here tries to hold themselves to a standard that we would like to see other members emulate. I've seen mods who have received suspensions from SOCN. I've seen mods quit, and leave TRF because the admins and other mods wouldn't grab their torches and conduct a witch hunt against certain members on their "demanded" behalf. I've seen mods have to take a breather from threads because of situations that became a bit too heated or personal, and they opt out so things can be handled fairly by other mods/admins on the team.

Not everyone has to notice these things for them to be true. These 'standards' that we attempt to hold ourselves to, is not some oath chiseled in stone - but a level of conduct that we (for the better part) strive to meet. These behaviors may or may not equate to every member's personal view of what they should be, and the bottom line is... so what. To be blunt, not my problem. And as humans, whatever that level is is a mark we'll never consistently hit 100% of the time. I have no problem admitting that, but I'm not going to fall on my knees for it either. I do what I can, where I can, when I can. I cannot worry about how anyone in particular may feel about it. I don't mean to come across like a jerk. I 'think' I'm an easy going guy, but there have been plenty of times when my wording toward people has been very hard, and direct. It was probably necessary at the time.

We do a lot to promote and present a certain atmosphere here that 'most' members latch on to without any prompting whatsoever. That's more of a testament to the folks here, than it is about the admin/mod team. We may be more involved in various threads than those on other forums, but for the most part mods don't interfere unless we feel it's warranted. That judgment call of when to get involved is ours to make, and does not require the prior approval or post explanation to whom I'll refer to as "butt sniffer" members who seem to have their noses up the staff's cracks on virtually every move they make. It's a creepy characteristic of some people here, of which I'll never understand - but there you have it.

In terms of absolute treatment across the board, there is no way for this staff of people to catch every single thing that happens here. Does every speeder on a highway get a ticket? No. Does every shoplifter get caught? No. Do some people who cheat on their taxes get away with it? You betcha. There is no way to see to each and every situation on TRF. If that comes across to some that we're inept, again - not my problem. We do pretty well.

And if it seems that certain members are dealt with more harshly than others, it's because there is a reason for it. Those reasons may or may not be known to all, but that's not an entitlement of membership here.

This IS a privately owned web site, and those who were invited to be a part of the team that helps to maintain it, do so with an understanding of what those owners have in mind for this web site. It's not built on a set of absolute, specific, and rigid expectations. Rather a vibe, an atmosphere, and a certain feel - which can at times be very difficult to find common ground on how to deal with individual situations. Again, I feel we do pretty well.

To address the Tri-Net comment... I was never a member there, but it's negative reputation has had a long lasting effect. If you really think TRF is like Tri-Net, let's hear it. Don't just make the stupid comment and skip off. Let's hear it. I'll challenge you on every aspect of it possible. TRF is not a site that arbitrarily bans, deletes, or conducts itself in a totalitarian style. And I challenge anyone to prove otherwise when making flippant remarks. Period.

To repeat, I happily vote yes and have 6 years of experience here that I can lean on to proudly say that I feel we have.

holy sh-t. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 8 2010, 11:40 PM)
QUOTE (Pags @ Dec 8 2010, 09:12 AM)
I vote yes regarding if admins/mods should be held to a certain standard.  Because... we do.  We always have.  Every admin and mod here tries to hold themselves to a standard that we would like to see other members emulate.  I've seen mods who have received suspensions from SOCN.  I've seen mods quit, and leave TRF because the admins and other mods wouldn't grab their torches and conduct a witch hunt against certain members on their "demanded" behalf.  I've seen mods have to take a breather from threads because of situations that became a bit too heated or personal, and they opt out so things can be handled fairly by other mods/admins on the team.

Not everyone has to notice these things for them to be true.  These 'standards' that we attempt to hold ourselves to, is not some oath chiseled in stone - but a level of conduct that we (for the better part) strive to meet.  These behaviors may or may not equate to every member's personal view of what they should be, and the bottom line is... so what.  To be blunt, not my problem.  And as humans, whatever that level is is a mark we'll never consistently hit 100% of the time.  I have no problem admitting that, but I'm not going to fall on my knees for it either.  I do what I can, where I can, when I can.  I cannot worry about how anyone in particular may feel about it.  I don't mean to come across like a jerk.  I 'think' I'm an easy going guy, but there have been plenty of times when my wording toward people has been very hard, and direct.  It was probably necessary at the time.

We do a lot to promote and present a certain atmosphere here that 'most' members latch on to without any prompting whatsoever.  That's more of a testament to the folks here, than it is about the admin/mod team.  We may be more involved in various threads than those on other forums, but for the most part mods don't interfere unless we feel it's warranted.  That judgment call of when to get involved is ours to make, and does not require the prior approval or post explanation to whom I'll refer to as "butt sniffer" members who seem to have their noses up the staff's cracks on virtually every move they make.  It's a creepy characteristic of some people here, of which I'll never understand - but there you have it.

In terms of absolute treatment across the board, there is no way for this staff of people to catch every single thing that happens here.  Does every speeder on a highway get a ticket?  No.  Does every shoplifter get caught?  No.  Do some people who cheat on their taxes get away with it?  You betcha.  There is no way to see to each and every situation on TRF.  If that comes across to some that we're inept, again - not my problem.  We do pretty well.

And if it seems that certain members are dealt with more harshly than others, it's because there is a reason for it.  Those reasons may or may not be known to all, but that's not an entitlement of membership here.

This IS a privately owned web site, and those who were invited to be a part of the team that helps to maintain it, do so with an understanding of what those owners have in mind for this web site.  It's not built on a set of absolute, specific, and rigid expectations.  Rather a vibe, an atmosphere, and a certain feel - which can at times be very difficult to find common ground on how to deal with individual situations.  Again, I feel we do pretty well.

To address the Tri-Net comment... I was never a member there, but it's negative reputation has had a long lasting effect.  If you really think TRF is like Tri-Net, let's hear it.  Don't just make the stupid comment and skip off.  Let's hear it.  I'll challenge you on every aspect of it possible.  TRF is not a site that arbitrarily bans, deletes, or conducts itself in a totalitarian style.  And I challenge anyone to prove otherwise when making flippant remarks.  Period.

To repeat, I happily vote yes and have 6 years of experience here that I can lean on to proudly say that I feel we have.

holy sh-t. goodpost.gif

Agreed, post of the year.

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 8 2010, 10:39 PM)
QUOTE (BeOhBe Bob @ Dec 7 2010, 10:38 PM)
OK so to hopefully wrap this puppy up

An asshole without a sig
has an issue with sizes of sigs

and the mother effing thread not only grew legs
but ran a fu<king marathon in about a day and a half

Bravo jerkworks  bravo!

msn_sheep.png  applaudit.gif  cat.gif

I think * whoosh * is the appropriate term here

You're STILL here?

Jesus the crew is being magnanimous lately.

As far as *whoosh*? Yeah it's the sound a toilet makes when feces is in a downward spiral in a toilet. Try it sometime, but keep your head above water ok?

QUOTE (Shirley @ Dec 9 2010, 03:43 AM)
It's their property... they can do what the hell they like, to whom they like. It is hardly a democracy, you signed up here, you know what you got into... If you don't like it... LEAVE.

That judgment call of when to get involved is ours to make, and does not require the prior approval or post explanation to whom I'll refer to as "butt sniffer" members who seem to have their noses up the staff's cracks on virtually every move they make. It's a creepy characteristic of some people here, of which I'll never understand - but there you have it.

oops.gif

QUOTE (Tony R @ Dec 9 2010, 09:01 AM)
QUOTE (Shirley @ Dec 9 2010, 03:43 AM)
It's their property... they can do what the hell they like, to whom they like. It is hardly a democracy, you signed up here, you know what you got into... If you don't like it... LEAVE.

That judgment call of when to get involved is ours to make, and does not require the prior approval or post explanation to whom I'll refer to as "butt sniffer" members who seem to have their noses up the staff's cracks on virtually every move they make. It's a creepy characteristic of some people here, of which I'll never understand - but there you have it.

oops.gif

Tony, I'm afraid I'm not seeing the correlation here. Help me out.

I've got an idea...how 'bout we just get rid of all the admins?

problem solved.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/laughing2.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Dec 9 2010, 04:24 PM)
I've got an idea...how 'bout we just get rid of all the admins?
problem solved.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v423/KublaKhan/laughing2.gif

One problem with that. There would be no TRF if they were gone. dazed025.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Dec 9 2010, 11:23 AM)
Nicely put, Bob...but you still need to fix the sig. smile.gif  Thankee.

http://i53.tinypic.com/24o97af.jpg

Hallo dees ees USA Prime Credit. My name Peggy. Seegnature good now yes? rofl3.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 9 2010, 12:36 AM)
QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 8 2010, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Dec 7 2010, 04:14 PM)
I'm having a tough time with the concept that ghostie chose signature size, of all things, as the trigger point for this thread. . .

I would have a tough time with that, too.

That's not the issue at hand.

Read her post again.

no need

no matter how many times I read it, it's still going to be incorrect

the 'trigger point' was your behavior

I made that patently clear in the very first post in this thread:

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Dec 6 2010, 02:19 PM)
...if any Admin feels comfortable addressing another member with vulgarity/personal insults, etc., that Admin essentially gives permission for members to treat each other in the same way...

^ the 'trigger point' can't be clearer

...if you spend so much time questioning the way a board is run, and the admins of that board isn't willing to change the way they run it -- for whatever reason -- then would you be happy hanging out there?

if I spent a disproportionate amount of time questioning the way a board was run, and the Administration wasn't willing to change the way they run it, then no - I would not want to hang out there

that isn't the case here

...look at all the effort you put into complaining about how we handle sigs...

relatively little

(again) I see no applicable point being made

...it started as a "minor question," but you turned it into this -- a major train wreck...

I did no such thing

a quick review of the thread instantly proves that it was a half-dozen members (including an Administrator and a Moderator ) who started slamming boxcars into the discussion

take away their vulgarity, personal attacks and ignorance of the facts, and you're left with a courteous and civil back and forth

I've never used an insult, expletive or made any personal attack against any member, Moderator, or Administrator in this discussion

can you say the same?

...you got the reactions you did in this thread BECAUSE it's not the first time. This is the rep you've built up for yourself here, and that's unfortunate...

your gift for exaggeration is impressive

there were a couple dozen posts way back when, before I knew 'how things rolled' here, where I didn't like the fit of the seats, the size of the tires, etc.

I calmed down and settled in

I believe I later had a few things to say about a particularly egregious unmoderated chat room session, on which (in fact) you backed me up

all tolled, I've probably spent 100 posts (a generous estimate) in disagreement with a Rush Forum-specific issue

what's that leave... over 95% of my posts are Rush related or otherwise - hardly cause for a 'bad rep'

besides - I enjoy the 'good rep' I have earned among the members here with whom I interact most (some of them have even said likewise about me, in this very thread)

in fact, both you and Jack Aubrey have been (and remain) two members I look forward to 'kicking things around' with - we've enjoyed doing so in the past and I'm expecting no less in the future

...was the sig issue -- and this subsequent thread -- worth all the time and effort you put into complaining about it? Or were you overreacting?

I think I've been quite calm and deliberate in raising a minor issue that concerned me - none of this has cost me more than a few minutes' consideration over a few days

I don't find the issue or the time I've spent discussing it disproportionate to its merits

QUOTE (Lost In Xanadu @ Dec 10 2010, 03:34 PM)
Can we just say GW is "right" and close this stupid ass thread?

http://i53.tinypic.com/24o97af.jpg

Hollow Dees ees Rash Forum Tecknyickel Sapport. My name Peggy. Please to be tellink me yore problem?

Archived