Favorite song transformed live?

That One Guy

What's your favorite Rush song that, while being good or great on the album, is completely brought to the next level live? Rush is an amazing live act so that might be a hard question.

For me if I had to not list a bunch of songs it would be Working Man and YYZ. They barely sound like the studio versions, and have more balls live (IMO).

And the 2112 mix they keep playing. I think the full step down helps the song sound more edgy. The jammin part live where everyone throws their fists up yelling "Hey!" is comparatively lame on the album. Just my opinion.

2.gif

hmm i love Losing it,,, though i cant listen to it everyday,,, its melancholy but it reminds me to be happy that im doing what i like to do....

I listen to Limelight after a good day at work

Driven -

An underrated track IMO anyway but Live it shows off the individual talents of each performer along with dislpaying the adage that the whole is greater than the sum of the constituent parts.

The bass line and mini-solo rip and the searing guitar climbs to such a cachophony ..

Just listen again ..

So far, I agree with everything mentioned. The instrumentals in particular benefit from being played live as they offer a chance at some serious jamming. Leave That Thing Alone on this tour is an excellent example of that. And Alex seems to be having a bit of fun with LaVilla.

But I have to mention Ghost Of A Chance. That guitar jam at the end is just beautiful. Very jazzy (that's hard, you know) and "tasty."

Already mentioned:

Bravado... the studio version is merely OK... live I had tears in my eyes.

GOAC.... what a surprise... another song castrated by Rupert Hine gets its balls back live

LTTA: Love the studio version... it was great live in '02. But this time around WOW!!

Between The Wheels: Already loved the studio version, live it becomes this awesome steamroller.

Also:

Mystic Rhythms. Was "meh' to me for years, until i saw it on R30. It captured my thoughts, carried them away and even opened my eyes to the album version as well.

Workin Them Angels: Absolute magic.

Armor And Sword: A bit like Between The Wheels in that it's just so unstoppable live. "By the flash of artillery light...." goosebumps.

Presto, Time Stand Still, and Mission. All three moved me when I heard them performed live.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Oct 8 2010, 09:24 PM)
Presto, Time Stand Still, and Mission. All three moved me when I heard them performed live.

Mission and Presto were great live.

yes.gif

But I don't think Time Stand Still was better imo. But it was cool seeing Alex play the synth.

New World Man

I've only seen it live three times I believe, on the Signals Tour, Grace Tour and the Vapor Trails Tour.

A good song on Signals became a great song live with the extended jam section and Geddy really goes off with his bass work.

Resist. wub.gif LTTA for Ged's ROCKIN' bass that just thunders through you. TSOR ... crowd interaction is great... same for 2112. Mission and Marathon... beautiful songs as it is, but there's such emotion live... alexs ending solo during Mission is wow. smile.gif umm. Something about Witch Hunt on Aug 23 really hit me. TEW during the GUP tour.

Marathon and Camera Eye sounded great this time around. Also, it was fun spotting small but significant changes in Caravan and BU2B this summer. Neil has definitely changed some of the fills and what cymbals he uses when and that type of stuff. I wonder if they'll incorporate these changes when they rerecord them?

QUOTE (StuartBruce @ Oct 8 2010, 06:15 AM)
Driven -

An underrated track IMO anyway but Live it shows off the individual talents of each performer along with dislpaying the adage that the whole is greater than the sum of the constituent parts.

The bass line and mini-solo rip and the searing guitar climbs to such a cachophony ..

Just listen again ..

goodpost.gif

ceiling unlimited was also 100x better live.

Archived