What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Ernest Scribbler @ May 10 2006, 03:39 PM)
QUOTE (progrush2112 @ May 10 2006, 07:58 AM)
Hammer of the Gods - the Led Zeppelin Saga  new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Heh-heh, that's a good read! wacko.gif

I'm just about to finish Moondust by Andrew Smith. The author tracks down and interviews the surviving astronauts who walked on the moon. Well, all apart from Mr Armstrong. I've enjoyed it.

Ooh! I'll have to read that! Have you read Chaikin's 'A Man On The Moon'? If not, I recommend it.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 10 2006, 06:12 PM)
Room Full of Mirrors by Charles R. Cross...excellent biography of Jimi Hendrix

What a coincidence; I was just going to check that out of the library.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 10 2006, 06:56 PM)

I'm just about to finish Moondust by Andrew Smith. The author tracks down and interviews the surviving astronauts who walked on the moon. Well, all apart from Mr Armstrong. I've enjoyed it.

Ooh! I'll have to read that! Have you read Chaikin's 'A Man On The Moon'? If not, I recommend it.

Chaikin is an old hang gliding buddy of mine. he came down to kitty hawk kites while I was getting my hang I rating. he was taking a demo lesson and I didn't have a clue who he was. he was wearing a from the earth to the moon promo hat. I chatted with him briefly out on the dunes. we got back to the shop and he was on the phone talking about waiting an article about alan shepard (who had just died) after a short conversation he told me who he was. I commented to him that I had brought my copy of his book with me for summer reading. later, I was able to send him an e-mail asking him if he remembered me. I told him I regreted not having my copy of AMOTM with me for him to sign. he replied that he remembered me because I was the first person he met that had a copy of his book with him at random when we met. I got his address in VA and mailed him my copy. he signed it "from the sands of kitty hawk to the surface of the moon in one mans lifetime. this is the miracle of our age" or something like that. andrew was at the centennial of flight celebration too. we saw each other and he smiled and pointed at me but it was so crazy we didn't get a chance to talk.

by the way I'm reading as follows;

apollo/souyz

and;

towing aloft

cause we might get my scooter tow done one day.

fly safe

blake

Edited by wmsb72673

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 11 2006, 03:25 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ May 10 2006, 06:12 PM)
Room Full of Mirrors by Charles R. Cross...excellent biography of Jimi Hendrix

What a coincidence; I was just going to check that out of the library.

Cool! So far a very good read. trink39.gif

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 13 2006, 10:25 AM)
Alduous Huxley "The Doors of Perception"

Really? Are you into acid or something? cool10.gif

Still wondering where I'll find my next read. Just read a couple "true crime" books, and need a break from that. I've got novelist John Irving's latest ("Until I Find You" - which got a good review from Peart), but it's 800 pages long! He's probably my favorite author, but... 800 pages? Gulp!

All I read is the Harry Potter books anymore. I am obsessed! I have to read it over and over again to get some proof that Harry will not die!

Harry potter can't die because then he won't be The Boy Who Lived!

QUOTE (wmsb72673 @ May 13 2006, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ May 10 2006, 06:56 PM)

Chaikin is an old hang gliding buddy of mine. he came down to kitty hawk kites while I was getting my hang I rating. he was taking a demo lesson and I didn't have a clue who he was. he was wearing a from the earth to the moon promo hat. I chatted with him briefly out on the dunes. we got back to the shop and he was on the phone talking about waiting an article about alan shepard (who had just died) after a short conversation he told me who he was. I commented to him that I had brought my copy of his book with me for summer reading. later, I was able to send him an e-mail asking him if he remembered me. I told him I regreted not having my copy of AMOTM with me for him to sign. he replied that he remembered me because I was the first person he met that had a copy of his book with him at random when we met. I got his address in VA and mailed him my copy. he signed it "from the sands of kitty hawk to the surface of the moon in one mans lifetime. this is the miracle of our age" or something like that. andrew was at the centennial of flight celebration too. we saw each other and he smiled and pointed at me but it was so crazy we didn't get a chance to talk.

by the way I'm reading as follows;

apollo/souyz

and;

towing aloft

cause we might get my scooter tow done one day.

fly safe

blake

Man, that's a great story! I'm envious! Thanks for the Apollo-Soyuz link, that'll keep me busy for a while.

http://a1204.g.akamai.net/7/1204/1401/05112117011/images.barnesandnoble.com/images/10400000/10404994.jpg

This is the first book I have read this year that I absolutely could not put down. Fantastic!

I love Bernard Cornwell. I just recently finished Stonehenge by him, which was good, and I read the Grail Quest trilogy by him last year. All very good books. I've been wanting to pick up The Last Kingdom. I'm a writer myself, and historical fiction in the vein of Cornwell is sort of where I'm heading right now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/amandaladi/story.jpg

http://www.helterskelterbooks.com/images/products/id3573.jpg

George Orwell - 1984 (classic)

The Bug - Ellen Urman (modern novel)

The best of Robert Service (poetry)

What Uncle Sam really wants - Noam Chomsky (liberal propaganda)

Get the image you want (photoshop text)

Edited by barney_rebel

QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ May 17 2006, 09:03 AM)
The Foot book.

There's a Wocket in my Pocket.

unsure.gif

My son read The Foot Book out loud in the car on the way to dinner last night. Only thing was, he replaced the word "fart" for "foot." I almost crashed the van, I was laughing so f'ing hard.

"Fuzzy fur fart." z7shysterical.gif

(Does that make me sound immature? unsure.gif )

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 17 2006, 12:42 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ May 17 2006, 09:03 AM)
The Foot book.

There's a Wocket in my Pocket.

unsure.gif

My son read The Foot Book out loud in the car on the way to dinner last night. Only thing was, he replaced the word "fart" for "foot." I almost crashed the van, I was laughing so f'ing hard.

"Fuzzy fur fart." z7shysterical.gif

(Does that make me sound immature? unsure.gif )

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

I love it.

I finally finished reading The Peaceable Kingdom today, by Jan de Hartog. It was a story that began in the 1700's and ends in the 1800's. It begins by telling the story of a Quaker man named George Fox and woman named Margaret Fell and the many hardships they endure. Margaret follows "that of God" in her and moves into a wretched, inhumane children's prison where the conditions are beyond horrible. There she brings hope to some of the children who are set to die soon. As the story continues, she and George Fox are the 'heroes', and many other Quakers strive to live their lives by "following the light" as they once did. It also goes into the issue of slavery, and the Quakers get along quite well with the Indians as well.

Toward the end, the Quakers had finally made a village where Indians and slaves they had freed now lived with them.

One phrase that stuck out to me was "Well-here it was, the Holy Experiment: a community in which people of all races lived together in equality and trust, like the beasts in the Peaceable Kingdom; a sight to gladden the heart of any friend."

I really enjoyed this book!

"Runaway Jury" by Grisham. I'm not a Grisham junkie, but this is the third book of his I've read.

After this, I think I'm going for "DaVinci Code." I wanna read it before I see it.