What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (sullysue @ Apr 26 2006, 05:40 AM)
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/ssullysue/0553804367.jpg

Because I've just now become curious about these things. Never really cared before.  confused13.gif

A little light reading, eh Sully?

My sister is a big fan of Barbara Kingsolver, so I gave her short stories a try - "Homeland and other Stories." Don't know what to read next.

QUOTE (nebbish @ Apr 26 2006, 02:27 PM)
Colin Bateman

"of wee sweetie mice and men"

funny as **ck laugh.gif

Bateman is an absolute genius. I met him at the Verbal Arts Centre in Derry when he did a reading and Q&A session about two years ago.

I was actually reading Belfast Confidential in the hospital on the day I was diagnosed last month, and was laughing out loud half an hour after getting the news.

Nebbish, if you like Bateman, I strongly urge you to get into Christopher Brookmyre, the Scottish version of Colin.

Official Website

'A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away' is a contender for my favourite book of all time, and contains the best and funniest 'loss of virginity' account that will EVER be committed to paper.

Actually, talking of Brookmyre, I must change my avatar........

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Apr 27 2006, 01:17 AM)
QUOTE (nebbish @ Apr 26 2006, 02:27 PM)
Colin Bateman

"of wee sweetie mice and men"

funny as **ck  laugh.gif

Bateman is an absolute genius. I met him at the Verbal Arts Centre in Derry when he did a reading and Q&A session about two years ago.

I was actually reading Belfast Confidential in the hospital on the day I was diagnosed last month, and was laughing out loud half an hour after getting the news.

Nebbish, if you like Bateman, I strongly urge you to get into Christopher Brookmyre, the Scottish version of Colin.

Official Website

'A Big Boy Did It And Ran Away' is a contender for my favourite book of all time, and contains the best and funniest 'loss of virginity' account that will EVER be committed to paper.

Actually, talking of Brookmyre, I must change my avatar........

Cheers Donal....I'll give him a go biggrin.gif

Great Avatar

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Apr 26 2006, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Huck @ Apr 7 2006, 04:19 PM)
cool.gif I'll have to read that, I love ancient history, I find The Spartans fascinating...have you read Thermopylae? I saw the film The 300 Spartans when I was a younger and it made a big impression on me  smile.gif

No, I haven't read Thermopylae, but Pressfield's Gates Of Fire is about the battle of Thermopylae and I'll probably read that one next since I'm enjoying Tides Of War so much.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Anne Lamott, Plan B - Further Thoughts on Faith

If you're not familiar with Lamott, she is a fascinating, irreverent writer whose essays about her faith are among the most non-hypocritical, truthful words I've ever read. Very enjoyable.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 7 2006, 09:26 AM)
Anne Lamott, Plan B - Further Thoughts on Faith

I've read (and own) her book on writing, Bird by Bird. Good stuff.

I just read a true crime book called Severed: The True Story of the Black Dahlia Killing, by John Gilmore. It was pretty good, and offered the best theory so far on who did the killing. Director David Lynch wants to do a movie based on the book, and Marilyn Manson says it's his favorite read.

(For anyone unfamiliar with the case: Elizabeth Short, the "Black Dahlia," was an aspiring actress who moved to Hollywood in the mid-1940s, only to be brutally murdered in January 1947. Her body was found in an empty lot, cut in half, with dozens of other wounds. The case is the most famous of all L.A. murders, and has never been officially solved.)

Now I'm reading another true crime book - The Stranger Beside Me, by Ann Rule. It's about Ted Bundy. Rule and Bundy were co-workers and friends. Ann Rule signed a book deal to write about a series of similar unsolved murders in the Northwest, only to discover later that her friend Ted was the killer!

Today, Ann Rule is probably the most prolific and most successful true crime writer.

Twist of the Wrist, by Keith Code.

Keith Code knows that motorcycle riding is an art, but also understands that it is a craft with certain, universal fundamentals that can be learned. What initially began as a couple of written ideas tested one-on-one with local racers at the Keith Code Rider Improvement Program along with an idea for an article in Motorcyclist has grown into the California Superbike School and what is perhaps the definitive series of books on cornering and road racing: A Twist of the Wrist Vol. I and II, the video to Twist I and The Soft Science of Road Racing Motorcycles.

Riding motorcycles is not that different from hitting a golf ball. Both require thought, drills, practice and physical memory. A golfer knows when when he has hit the ball well, even before he completes his follow-through. A road racer knows when he handles a corner well far before before exit. And both feel sweet.

But how do you explain that sweet feeling? First, you need a language that can effectively translate actions into words. That is precisely what Keith Code accomplished in writing A Twist of the Wrist and the Soft Science books, creating and developing the language of cornering and road racing.

A Twist of the Wrist, Code's first book, is perhaps the most important of the three books, but it is also the most frustrating. Here Code first experiments with the vocabulary of riding, creating terms like "products" and "sub-products," which are defined more or less as "the final result" but the use of which is confusing, and terms like "reference points," which Code did not invent but most certainly helped define with such absolute clarity that he is entitled to credit.

While Code succeeds in Twist I in laying the foundation for the language of cornering and road racing, some of his teaching methods are frustrating. As a whole, Twist I does and excellent job in teaching the reader to think about riding; however, some stylistic flourishes distract. Often, Code finishes paragraphs with a rhetorical question in small font, such as "Will it work?" or "Any thoughts?". Code wants you to think through the corners, but, unfortunately, these questions also take away from the flow of the particular lesson. Still, Twist I is a vital guide into Code's techniques and theories of cornering and road racing, particularly the basic lesson that riding takes thought, and a reader will get much more out of Soft Science and Twist II by reading Twist I.

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif I read about half of it yesterday... It was fantastic. 1022.gif

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j199/bauhaus92/dec.jpg

Deception Point - Dan Brown

Liked Angels and Demons so much had to buy this one -

Edited by alphseeker

http://www.vaidilute.com/images/legacy_of_luna.jpg

Funny this thread was bumped, I actually just finished The Legacy Of Luna for my english class. While her views arent exactly the same as mine about spirituality, it was interesting to hear her story. We've been on the civil disobedience theme for some time now at CCSF (a civil disobedience class in a San Francisco funded city college, really? laugh.gif)

Ayn Rand "An Introduction to Obectivist Epistomology" Some good reading that will "elevate me". Teaches about individualism and how society depends on other peoples help all the time and how we should rid ourselves of such notions. 2.gif boarder.gif

http://www.booksamillion.com/bam/covers/1/55/750/199/1557501998.jpg

Neil Peart- Ghost Rider- Very interesting reading that offers so many other dimensions to the best rock drummer in the world. Somewhat parallels my loves and losses and takes me along for the ride with one turn of the page and one twist of the throttle. Gives us hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel and that friends are more precious than you think. 2.gif boarder.gif

Ok interesting turn of events. Apparently the author of the book we have been reading, the girl that sat in the tree for 2 years, is the roommate of the best friend of the boyfriend of one of our classmates, so she will be coming in to talk to our class next week.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Apr 26 2006, 03:44 PM)

Because I've just now become curious about these things. Never really cared before.  confused13.gif

laugh.gif

Made my left brain scream in pain and my right hemisphere laugh, so I set it down for a bit.

QUOTE (sullysue @ May 9 2006, 11:07 PM)

laugh.gif

Made my left brain scream in pain and my right hemisphere laugh, so I set it down for a bit.

Made my brain synapses start popping and firing at will... I think my neurons are branching like an Oak.

QUOTE (telegraphcreeklocal @ May 10 2006, 01:13 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ May 9 2006, 11:07 PM)

laugh.gif

Made my brain synapses start popping and firing at will... I think my neurons are branching like an Oak.

I'm not saying that it didn't make a connection with me. The theories, when I actually GOT them, are amazing and fascinating. I understand so much more now than I did before. But, I function in such a non-scientific way that it's hard for me to grasp the concepts. At least give me credit for trying. My poor left brain is like a raisin to my right brain's... watermelon. You can pour as much water as you want on a raisin, but it will only become a big bloated raisin.

QUOTE (progrush2112 @ May 10 2006, 07:58 AM)
Hammer of the Gods - the Led Zeppelin Saga new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Heh-heh, that's a good read! wacko.gif

I'm just about to finish Moondust by Andrew Smith. The author tracks down and interviews the surviving astronauts who walked on the moon. Well, all apart from Mr Armstrong. I've enjoyed it.