What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

Found this earlier, 5 great reads for Harry Potter Fans.

For lovers of magic and technology

Any fan of magic and technology will probably get a kick out of the Artemis Fowl series by Irishman Eoin Colfer. In some ways, Artemis is the anti-Harry. He's a young criminal mastermind, not averse to taking on--and taking advantage of--the magic world. Still, there's a lot to love about Artemis, not the least of which is his brilliant mind for inventions (he might even be better than Lemony Snicket's Violet Baudelaire). Anyone who lusted for the Mirror of Erised, the pensieve, floo powder, or other clever Rowling devices will get a kick out of what Artemis Fowl concocts.

In an entirely different vein are The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia Wrede. These four volumes, told from the point of view of four separate characters, have magic spells; independent-minded heirs to the throne; and dragons, witches, and magicians who band together to take on a gang of evil wizards. At times, they're quite funny, too, making sly references to well-known fairy tales.

For the power of children to act as full-fledged heroes

Artemis Fowl wins in this category, too. But Faerie Wars is another great choice for Harry Potter fans. In it, a boy named Henry meets the exiled crown prince of the Faerie world, which is torn by a civil war, and it's up to Henry to save the day. While this sounds serious, there's plenty of modern humor in Faerie Wars to make it a fun read. Like Artemis Fowl, Faerie Wars is written by an Irishman.

For a compelling alternate universe

The Giver, by Lois Lowry, is in most ways completely unlike Harry Potter. It's serious, with plenty of ambiguity thrown in. There is no Harry Potter-style magic, but there certainly is mythical technology. And Lowry has created a parallel universe that feels every bit as real as Hogwarts--or more likely, as Privet Lane, where the miserable Dursleys live. But, like Harry Potter, the main character is an outsider with unusual powers who is called on to do the right thing.

I just finished Paul Reiser's COUPLEHOOD.

Oh man, is it FUNNY?!? I was given it by CJ and just put it in the bathroom. It's a hilarious take on dating and marriage by Paul in his own inimitable style. You can actually hear this former Mad About You star as he does almost a standup routine in prose. The book is absolutely hilarious and anyone in or has been in a serious relationship will crack up at his wonderful take on everyday life. Give it a shot if you can. Light reading. 148 pages. Shorter than some of my posts. laugh.gif

Edited by Necromancer

Right now I'm reading about three different things. Now that Stephen King's Dark Tower series is complete, I'm going back through the entire story.

I'm also reading Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about how the advent of agriculture gave rise to civilizations.

And for bathroom reading there's National Geographic's Encyclopedia of Astonomy.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 11 2005, 11:52 AM)
Just read Master and Commander. It looks like that series will keep me busy for a while.

If you like historical sea novels Invisi you might take a gander at David Poyer's series about a confederate captain in the civil War. The first one is called Fire On The Waters and the second one is called A Country Of Our Own.

He's only two books into the series but it is compelling reading.

He wrote an earlier series - it may still be ongoing - about a modern naval seaman named Dan Lenson who rises through the ranks from ensign to Lt. commander to commander and eventually commands his own destoyer on a mission to deter piracy in the south China Sea and later to the Red Sea to fight terrorism.

The guy is a former naval captain and writes with a realistic, bare-bones style that keeps your nose in the book.

I've been mostly into Isaac Asimov lately, on the second book of his Foundation series. And I'm dabbling in Dante's the Divine Comedy.

I need to go check out Anna Karenina. eh.gif

Must... have... change.. from sci-fi realm...

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Dec 11 2005, 01:52 PM)
Just read Master and Commander. It looks like that series will keep me busy for a while.

You are in for quite a treat!

The Talisman - Stephen King/Peter Straub

Good book and an interesting mix of fantasy/thriller/horror

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Dec 12 2005, 12:22 AM)
I don't read very often.

I've had Neil's book "Ghost Rider" now for about 8 months and I'm about 2/3 of the way through it...

I don't read very often.

Go, ES, go!!! It'll be worth the time!

biggrin.gif

well im not sure what to read next heres my choices, and you guys can pick for me!!!

1. White OUT-Ken Follett

2. Conspiricy of Paper-David Liss

3. Neil Peart- Masked Rider

4. One False Move- Harlen Coben

QUOTE (Huck @ Dec 12 2005, 06:39 AM)

I fargin loved that book. I may pull it out and read it again some day. I've already read it like three times. In fact I've read most of King's books at least twice and I think I've read The Stand four times.

But if you like The Talsman you'll like Black House, the sequel. Not as engrossing as the first but a good story.

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Dec 12 2005, 09:03 AM)
well im not sure what to read next heres my choices, and you guys can pick for me!!!

1. White OUT-Ken Follett

ohmy.gif

I just bought Ken Follet's Whiteout for the plane ride!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (dweezil @ Dec 12 2005, 11:30 AM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Dec 12 2005, 09:03 AM)

1. White OUT-Ken Follett

ohmy.gif

I just bought Ken Follet's Whiteout for the plane ride!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

yeah i got it last Christmas, and havent started it yet, but it looks really good.

QUOTE (Huck @ Dec 12 2005, 07:39 AM)

laugh.gif I loved that book. Of course, it took me like five tries to get into it, but it was so worth it. Just thought I'd share that, haha.