What are you reading?

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 18 2006, 06:07 AM)
"Runaway Jury" by Grisham. I'm not a Grisham junkie, but this is the third book of his I've read.

After this, I think I'm going for "DaVinci Code." I wanna read it before I see it.

I just read The DaVinci Code last month. I think you'll really enjoy it. I did, and I was skeptical to begin with -- any book that gets that much press didn't seem it would be worth my time. But it was.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 18 2006, 07:11 AM)
"Runaway Jury" by Grisham.  I'm not a Grisham junkie, but this is the third book of his I've read.

After this, I think I'm going for "DaVinci Code."  I wanna read it before I see it.

I just read The DaVinci Code last month. I think you'll really enjoy it. I did, and I was skeptical to begin with -- any book that gets that much press didn't seem it would be worth my time. But it was.

I really enjoyed it too. It sure was an intereting read.

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown is good too, sort of a prequel to DaVinci.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ May 18 2006, 10:04 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ May 18 2006, 07:11 AM)
"Runaway Jury" by Grisham.  I'm not a Grisham junkie, but this is the third book of his I've read.

After this, I think I'm going for "DaVinci Code."  I wanna read it before I see it.

I really enjoyed it too. It sure was an intereting read.

Angels & Demons by Dan Brown is good too, sort of a prequel to DaVinci.

I've been meaning to get that one, too. smile.gif

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 17 2006, 07:30 PM)
George Orwell - 1984 (classic)
The Bug - Ellen Urman (modern novel)
The best of Robert Service (poetry)
What Uncle Sam really wants - Noam Chomsky (liberal propaganda)
Get the image you want (photoshop text)

1984 is my favorite book. I've read it 7 times.

As for The Da Vinci Code, I also thought it was an excellent book. I'm not sure any book deserves the attention it has gotten, but it's definitely a top notch thriller. The thing that shocks me is that there are STILL people out there interested in reading it who haven't already read it!!

Edited by Schmoo

QUOTE (Schmoo @ May 18 2006, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (JARG @ May 17 2006, 07:45 PM)
Al Franken's The Truth (with jokes)

Pantywaist liberal.

Fat-ass, neo-Christian fence-rider.

QUOTE (Schmoo @ May 18 2006, 01:24 PM)

As for The Da Vinci Code, I also thought it was an excellent book. I'm not sure any book deserves the attention it has gotten, but it's definitely a top notch thriller. The thing that shocks me is that there are STILL people out there interested in reading it who haven't already read it!!

I haven't read Da Vinci code either. It probably will be my next "modern fiction".

I absolutely LOVED Animal Farm, and enjoyed Farenheit 451. 1984 is quite harder to follow. I'm about 1/4 the way in but it's hard getting around the jargon.

Reading Noam Chomsky's book too at the same time, he refers to a few quotes from 1984. It's a good contrast.

I got eye strain.

I'm reading a few books at the same time.

Fast Food Nation

I read the newspaper

From the self-help genre I'm reading:

Working with You is Killing me.

Queen Bee Moms and King Pin Dads

I'm reading about the power of persuasion in these documents I printed off the web.

QUOTE (BenMink @ May 18 2006, 02:16 PM)
I got eye strain.

I'm reading a few books at the same time.

Fast Food Nation
I read the newspaper

From the self-help genre I'm reading:

Working with You is Killing me.
Queen Bee Moms and King Pin Dads
I'm reading about the power of persuasion in these documents I printed off the web.

I have Fast Food Nation, but haven't read it yet. Wife has though.

I read a very similar book in Sociology when I was in school called (Making Fast Food). http://www.mqup.mcgill.ca/book.php?bookid=878

I'm reading the first book in George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire" series.

I'm enjoying it. Very bloody and brutal.

Cheers Donal.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ May 18 2006, 08:06 PM)
QUOTE (Schmoo @ May 18 2006, 01:24 PM)

I haven't read Da Vinci code either. It probably will be my next "modern fiction".

I absolutely LOVED Animal Farm, and enjoyed Farenheit 451. 1984 is quite harder to follow. I'm about 1/4 the way in but it's hard getting around the jargon.

Reading Noam Chomsky's book too at the same time, he refers to a few quotes from 1984. It's a good contrast.

I love all of Orwell's novels. He only wrote 5 or 6, and I've read all of them at least twice. Among the others I really like are Burmese Days and Coming Up For Air.

1984 has a section in it, about 2/3rds of the way into the novel, where he copies a long passage from Goldstein's book, verbatim. If you're not sure what Goldstein's book is yet, just keep reading the novel and you'll understand. But just be forewarned that when you get to that part of the novel, it gets very, very dry. Like reading a Karl Marx manifesto or something. But stick it out, because it picks up again after that section.

I don't know specifically why 1984 resonates so much with me, but ever since I first read the book in 9th grade, it has just captivated me.

QUOTE (JARG @ May 18 2006, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (Schmoo @ May 18 2006, 09:24 AM)
QUOTE (JARG @ May 17 2006, 07:45 PM)
Al Franken's The Truth (with jokes)

Pantywaist liberal.

Fat-ass, neo-Christian fence-rider.

Randroid

http://www.todayinliterature.com/assets/photos/r/ayn-rand-200x300.jpg

What you don't see in this picture is JARG. He's down below.

cat.gif

I don't read. Really, I don't..

But I started reading the Da Vinci code on Monday and I can't put it down. Hopefully I can finish it by Sunday as I want to see the movie. I got the new version that has 160 full glossy color pictures. It's cool.

Wow, even a non-reader is raving about "DaVinci Code."

This is gonna be good, I just know it. I bought it this morning and want to start reading it ASAP... but I still have about 200 pages of this Grisham book I'm reading. Arrrgh! I'm so anxious to begin DaVinci, I'm tempted to abandon the Grisham book.

BTW, I have a co-worker who keeps insisting I read "Angels and Demons" first. She says it's a good prequel to "DaVinci," and she thinks it's even better!

Edited by GeddyRulz

Development of Psychic Powers

By: Denning & Philips

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/5466/grooovayman0qx.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 19 2006, 06:32 AM)
Wow, even a non-reader is raving about "DaVinci Code."

This is gonna be good, I just know it. I bought it this morning and want to start reading it ASAP... but I still have about 200 pages of this Grisham book I'm reading. Arrrgh! I'm so anxious to begin DaVinci, I'm tempted to abandon the Grisham book.

BTW, I have a co-worker who keeps insisting I read "Angels and Demons" first. She says it's a good prequel to "DaVinci," and she thinks it's even better!

I think im the only one thats thinkin

that movie/book is Borin as hell unsure.gif

ill pass on both yes.gif trink39.gif

QUOTE (DarkCityJay @ May 20 2006, 02:26 AM)
Those rectangular things made of words. Does anyone like those things?

I'm reading one of those things right now called House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski.

What are you reading?

QUOTE (Schmoo @ May 19 2006, 05:09 AM)
GRulz: Angels and Demons is at least as good as The Da Vinci Code, if not better.

Indeed!!!

I just finished Soddy's book, 'Pithed'.

Everyone should get off their duff and order a copy (or two) ! 653.gif

I'm about 200 pages into "Da Vinci code" and i have to say "Angels and Demons" blows it away. Angels and Demons was almost seamless the way it moved you from one suspenseful moment to another.

Da Vicni Code makes me feel like i'm reading a dozen autobiographies at a time. Not only does Dan Brown flash back to every single characters past, he devotes almost entire chapters to the flash backs, thus making the word FLASH obsolete. I can and have put Da Vinci code down many times, simply because this book does not flow like ANGELS AND DEMONS.