Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

Grunge. i simply cannot Stand hair metal. another thing... it's hair pop rock......it's NOT metal.

i should like This stuff. but it just pisses me off, lol

I know what you mean...if Rush aren't metal...but Def Leppard are...then you're a skank and I hate you and there we go...off through that door with your stupid ass...kiss the ground when you greet it. It's covered in broken glass.

(I'm moody so this post is just me letting some of that out...I don't care at all really haha!).

• Like 2

Grunge. i simply cannot Stand hair metal. another thing... it's hair pop rock......it's NOT metal.

i should like This stuff. but it just pisses me off, lol

I know what you mean...if Rush aren't metal...but Def Leppard are...then you're a skank and I hate you and there we go...off through that door with your stupid ass...kiss the ground when you greet it. It's covered in broken glass.

(I'm moody so this post is just me letting some of that out...I don't care at all really haha!).

That's not moody! That's comedy! :LOL:

.. and here's your beloved Alice In Chains Layne Staley before "grunge" was fashionable

Layne-1.jpg

HAHAHA!

I thought that was Stephen Pearcy and Robbin Crosby from RATT! LOL!

What a bunch of posers.

http://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/17/90/b2/1790b2db30b718697c33d593e32ee45c.jpg

HAHAHA!

Says it all Blaze!

Everyone was jumping on the Big Hair scene!

So what Rush song out of their entire canon represents hair metal?

I don't need to write a stupid thread about this matter in the Rush section.

No one will care.

Hmmm.....

I love how Geddy and Alex had the pretty New Wave Hair and yet Neil cut his short, except for that stupid tacky tail he had.

Rush did have a Hair Metal Shite Stage.

I would say Grace and Power.

I think Neil got rid of that shit RATT tail for "Hold Your Fire" so whatever.

It's all about "The Big Money" baby.

Why do you think RUSH did that shit "Roll The Bones" rap?

Then did they do that shite "STICK IT OUT" grunge garbage track?

That's Chris Cornell in the electric chair right?

TTheir best hair (or lack thereof) metal song surely must be i think I'm going bald..

• Like 2

Hair metal was good and fun when the alternatives were Madonna and whatever pop-garbage permeated the airwaves in the 80s, but the music has aged terribly. Or perhaps as I've aged songs about banging groupees and doing drugs have generally lost their appeal. Most of the biggest "grunge" bands' music has survived very well and don't feel nearly as anachronistic as the hair metal bands, despite being just a few years newer.
  • Like 3

Hair metal was good and fun when the alternatives were Madonna and whatever pop-garbage permeated the airwaves in the 80s, but the music has aged terribly. Or perhaps as I've aged songs about banging groupees and doing drugs have generally lost their appeal. Most of the biggest "grunge" bands' music has survived very well and don't feel nearly as anachronistic as the hair metal bands, despite being just a few years newer.

Oh, and grunge killed hair metal, so there's that, too.

• Like 1

I have Hair Nation as one of my radio presets yet more often than not I listen to aboot six seconds of a song and I'm gone. When I catch a grunge favorite on the 90s on Nine more often Instick through to the end of the song.

• Like 1

Poison's "Unskinny Bop" and Alice in Chains' "It Ain't like that" were recorded in '90 and '89-'90 respectively. Both were released in '90 just a couple of months apart and the term "grunge" was nowhere in sight. I'll take AIC over Poison in a second no matter what genre anyone would like to put either band.

"Unskinny Bop"...that's funny in the way that mid-late 80s fashion was. It makes me smile in that nostalgic sense but in no way would I say it's good. Then or now.

• Like 2

Poison's "Unskinny Bop" and Alice in Chains' "It Ain't like that" were recorded in '90 and '89-'90 respectively. Both were released in '90 just a couple of months apart and the term "grunge" was nowhere in sight. I'll take AIC over Poison in a second no matter what genre anyone would like to put either band.

"Unskinny Bop"...that's funny in the way that mid-late 80s fashion was. It makes me smile in that nostalgic sense but in no way would I say it's good. Then or now.

I think it was Unskinny Bop which actually killed hair metal.

I liked the song when it came out, but I was young and stupid.

• Like 1

I think it was Unskinny Bop which actually killed hair metal.

I liked the song when it came out, but I was young and stupid.

:LOL:

I was 17 turning 18 and just finishing high school when those two songs came out. And I remember both of them. Most of my friends liked Poison and ONE friend and I were discovering Alice In Chains' Facelift. I remember playing "It Ain't Like That" for one of my co-workers and him saying "It's okay but I'm not really into metal." Ironically (or not), he was one of those guys that liked Poison and similar bands.

I have Hair Nation as one of my radio presets yet more often than not I listen to aboot six seconds of a song and I'm gone. When I catch a grunge favorite on the 90s on Nine more often Instick through to the end of the song.

Then you should listen to Lithium, which is basically a grunge channel.

• Like 1

I still listen to a lot of Ozzy's Boneyard unless one of his songs comes on then I bail.

• Like 1

I still listen to a lot of Ozzy's Boneyard unless one of his songs comes on then I bail.

I listen to the Boneyard much more than Hair Nation. Too many bands that do nothing for me on that channel. I heard Sign of the Southern Cross today on the Boneyard.

22 votes in a favor of grunge here - that's a very good thing.

In some rock fans facebook group I started a post "Hair bands vs grunge bands" and you won't believe how many people voted for hair metal. Hair metal is winning now there by a landslide. I am vexed really. :rage:

I still think hair metal was a worst goddamn thing that happened to the 80's rock music.

That is just deep shit that I can't stand. Never understood what masses of people found in those effeminate, dumb, talentless posers with a sleek hairspray, makeup and spandex.

Never understood what masses of people found in those effeminate, dumb, talentless posers with a sleek hairspray, makeup and spandex.

As someone who loves grunge and 'hair' metal this post is hilarious :LOL:

• Like 1

Never understood what masses of people found in those effeminate, dumb, talentless posers with a sleek hairspray, makeup and spandex.

For me it was definitely the chicks that followed the bands that caught my interest.

I vote for the guys who came from the scene that was building off of Queen and Sweet and Bowie then had to ramp up their efforts in the face of punk and new wave, leading to some pretty outrageous excess. In hindsight, there's some great music though, thoroughly entertaining, and I'd personally rank a lot of hair metal over a lot of Nirvana. That band just doesn't do a lot for me. Give me any of other three big grunge bands any day of the week.

Motley Crue rocks. Def Leppard were genius songwriters. The others all played their parts. They get too much hate. Fun stuff.

Motley Crue rocks. Def Leppard were genius songwriters. The others all played their parts. They get too much hate. Fun stuff.

Agreed.

And judging hair metal by Unskinny Bop is like judging Prog by Tai Shan.

Haters gonna hate..

• Like 1

There is a lot of crap Hair Metal *cough Trixter cough* and I appreciate the more serious tone of grunge attempting to say something meaningful. Yet Hair Metal gives me the wailing, hitting the high note vocal styling I love. Witnesses below.

I went with Grunge - I love AIC, Soundgarden, PJ but I suppose this also comes down to defining the genres. Some would associate any 80's metal with "hair metal" and that would sweep in a whole lot of other bands that I liked. I hated the mainstream "hair" (Poison et al) but in a way, their presence probably allowed alot of other ,cooler, 80's metal bands exist. Perhaps even "thrash metal" and some "Prog metal" which I quite like. On the other hand "grunge" also inspired alot of crappy spin-off bands to exist too. So, who knows.

Hair all the way for me. When Grunge came along and swept Hair metal away is when I basically stopped listening to the radio and buying new music. That was mostly the case for 15+ years. If I did listen to the radio odds were it was classical music I listened to.

Now I listen to the radio a lot and (assuming I want to listen to music) its either (1) Ozzy's Boneyard (2) Hair Nation (3) Symphony Hall (4) Met Opera (5) Classic Rewind (6) Classic Vinyl.

Loved the metal of the 80's and still do.

For me it was definitely the chicks that followed the bands that caught my interest.

:LOL:

Hot Chick: ((excited)) You like 'Here I Go Again' ?!

Me: Oh yeah yeah definitely! I listen to it every day! Whitesnake, White Lion, all that crap! God you're hot.

:P