Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

As a card carrying member of the 80's metal scene I have to agree that it got as campy and ridiculous as any genre of music could possibly get before imploding in on itself.

Whoever said that Every Rose Has Its Thorn is the best song every written is a complete moron. The music of that day has been a thorn in the side of serious musicians since its inception.

To this day working bands such as mine - who are drop dead serious musicians - have to compete in the local marketplace with every hack "80s Cover Band" that oddly enough all play the same bullshit music as the other. As every single one of those bands "musical centerpiece" is....wait for it....Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

Some very good bands came out of that area and RATT was one of them. Warren DiMartini was one of the best of them. I have to disagree that Cinderella is a bad band as well. Campy and "hairy" but songs like Somebody Save Me still are awesome rockers to this day.

Moving into the 90's all I have to say - being a true rock-n-roll guy as opposed to what was considered "metal" in that time period...which it wasn't - a band like Pearl Jam was a breath of fresh air. I still remember hearing 10 for the first time and literally saying out loud in my car "MY GOD ROCK'S NOT DEAD!"

My wish is that all that crap music made by bands like Poison (the worst band ever whos only claim to fame is making a mockery of the music of the time) would just f**k off and die already so we can bring back "real music".

Go ahead and ask any single player in any of those bands to play a song like Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres and what the halarity ensue. I'm a pretty boy from back in the day but I'll be God Damned if I can't play that song front to back on my 80's Charvel.....solos and all.

I'll go with "Grunge" if its all the same to you guys.....rock-n-roll folks.

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 7 2010, 11:19 AM)
As a card carrying member of the 80's metal scene I have to agree that it got as campy and ridiculous as any genre of music could possibly get before imploding in on itself.

Whoever said that Every Rose Has Its Thorn is the best song every written is a complete moron. The music of that day has been a thorn in the side of serious musicians since its inception.

To this day working bands such as mine - who are drop dead serious musicians - have to compete in the local marketplace with every hack "80s Cover Band" that oddly enough all play the same bullshit music as the other. As every single one of those bands "musical centerpiece" is....wait for it....Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

Some very good bands came out of that area and RATT was one of them. Warren DiMartini was one of the best of them. I have to disagree that Cinderella is a bad band as well. Campy and "hairy" but songs like Somebody Save Me still are awesome rockers to this day.

Moving into the 90's all I have to say - being a true rock-n-roll guy as opposed to what was considered "metal" in that time period...which it wasn't - a band like Pearl Jam was a breath of fresh air. I still remember hearing 10 for the first time and literally saying out loud in my car "MY GOD ROCK'S NOT DEAD!"

My wish is that all that crap music made by bands like Poison (the worst band ever whos only claim to fame is making a mockery of the music of the time) would just f**k off and die already so we can bring back "real music".

Go ahead and ask any single player in any of those bands to play a song like Cygnus X-1 Book II Hemispheres and what the halarity ensue. I'm a pretty boy from back in the day but I'll be God Damned if I can't play that song front to back on my 80's Charvel.....solos and all.

I'll go with "Grunge" if its all the same to you guys.....rock-n-roll folks.

Well, there you have it, folks! goodpost.gif

QUOTE (ChroniclesOfRush @ May 7 2010, 12:19 PM)

The person who said that in this thread was being completely sarcastic.

Lets also not forget that there was some good music as an alternative to hair crap. Rush, The Scorpions, Dio, Yes, Van Halen, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica, just to name a few that were actually making good music in the midst of that hairy black cloud of despair. atickhum.gif Edited by tick

QUOTE (tick @ May 7 2010, 01:36 PM)
Lets also not forget that there was some good music as an alternative to hair crap. Rush, The Scorpions, Dio, Yes, Van Halen, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica,  just to name a few that were actually making good music in the midst of that hairy black cloud of despair. atickhum.gif

The Pixies, The Cure, The Smiths, Gene Loves Jezebel, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Alarm...the list goes on and on of bands that were way better than the hair bands!

QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 7 2010, 01:49 PM)
Lets also not forget that there was some good music as an alternative to hair crap. Rush, The Scorpions, Dio, Yes, Van Halen, Ozzy, Iron Maiden, Metallica,  just to name a few that were actually making good music in the midst of that hairy black cloud of despair. atickhum.gif

The Pixies, The Cure, The Smiths, Gene Loves Jezebel, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus, The Alarm...the list goes on and on of bands that were way better than the hair bands!

I love The Alarm! I met Mike Peters at an Alarm show in NYC in 07. What a great guy, and terrific songwriter!

QUOTE (tick @ May 7 2010, 04:42 AM)
Earl, you said Bon Jovi discovered Skid Row. Umm, BON JOVI SUCKS ASS!!!

By the way, I opened for Skid Row at Toads Place in New Haven in 1995. atickhum.gif

I admit I'm not that familiar with Skid Row, but I have a Frameshift album with Sebastian Bach on vocals and I think he is amazing! 1022.gif

Some bands that sucked in hair metal...
White Lion
Slaughter
Cinderella
Warrant
Brittany Fox

and the worst offender of them all.......POISON! 062802puke_prv.gif

That's awesome dude! You opened for Skid Row???? Sweet!!!

Bach was incredible back in the day!!

As for Bon Jovi sucking, I do agree with you, although I do like the first three albums. I can't stand "New Jersey" and each album after that one.

Whie Lion is wimpy, however I love Vito Bratta's guitar playing. The guy can shred with the best of them.

Slaughter and Warrant never did much for me.

That song "Fly With The Angels" drives me nuts.

QUOTE (tick @ May 7 2010, 01:54 PM)
QUOTE (VarianStar @ May 7 2010, 01:49 PM)

I love The Alarm! I met Mike Peters at an Alarm show in NYC in 07. What a great guy, and terrific songwriter!

cosmo.gif He is a really nice guy. The Alarm never got the attention they deserved. I've known James Stevenson for a number of years now. He's obviously known more for Gene Loves Jezebel than The Alarm, but I think he's been playing with Mike since 2000.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 7 2010, 02:19 PM)

By the way, I opened for Skid Row at Toads Place in New Haven in 1995. atickhum.gif

I admit I'm not that familiar with Skid Row, but I have a Frameshift album with Sebastian Bach on vocals and I think he is amazing! 1022.gif

White Lion
Slaughter
Cinderella
Warrant
Brittany Fox

As for Bon Jovi sucking, I do agree with you, although I do like the first three albums. I can't stand "New Jersey" and each album after that one.

Whie Lion is wimpy, however I love Vito Bratta's guitar playing. The guy can shred with the best of them.

I also opened up for Yngwie Malmsteen, Warrant, and Joan Jett.

Good times! atickhum.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 7 2010, 02:15 PM)

White Lion
Slaughter
Cinderella
Warrant
Brittany Fox

Good times! atickhum.gif

Did you get to bang Joanie???

ohmy.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (Alex @ May 7 2010, 10:54 AM)
Grunge

Sucks........ biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)

White Lion
Slaughter
Cinderella
Warrant
Brittany Fox

Good times! atickhum.gif

ohmy.gif laugh.gif

I'm not her type. Half the audience was women with short hair. laugh.gif

QUOTE (tick @ May 7 2010, 02:31 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)

White Lion
Slaughter
Cinderella
Warrant
Brittany Fox

Good times! atickhum.gif

ohmy.gif laugh.gif

I'm not her type. Half the audience was women with short hair. laugh.gif

laugh.gif wacko.gif eh.gif ohmy.gif laugh.gif wink.gif

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ May 7 2010, 12:50 PM)
I picked Grunge but I'm also a card carrying Winger fan. ph34r.gif

Kip Winger is actually very talented.

Rod Morgenstein is a sick drummer, and Reb Beach tears. They always got a raw deal, IMO.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ May 7 2010, 03:02 PM)
I picked Grunge but I'm also a card carrying Winger fan.  ph34r.gif

Rod Morgenstein is a sick drummer, and Reb Beach tears. They always got a raw deal, IMO.

Yeah from that late 80s era there's a few bands I like that could be viewed as hair metal, such as Winger, Giant, Guns n Roses...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 04:05 PM)

Yeah from that late 80s era there's a few bands I like that could be viewed as hair metal, such as Winger, Giant, Guns n Roses...

Guns And Roses??? Totally not hair metal.

Then there was Twisted Sister. Ugly mother f*cker metal!!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 01:05 PM)

wow Giant, I forgot about them. Reminds of Toy Matinee.

Also I think Cinderella gets a bit of bad rap. they got sucked into the hair metal genre, but they were actually a pretty good bluesy hard rock band.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:05 PM)

I agree. Winger and Giant weren't bad. Guns n Roses on the other hand. 062802puke_prv.gif

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)

I agree. Winger and Giant weren't bad. Guns n Roses on the other hand. 062802puke_prv.gif

Well I wasn't that big on GnR but compared to the likes of Poison and Warrant, I prefer them...

Another decent "hair" band of that era, certainly underrated anyway are Thunder...

True. They got a raw deal because they wrote shit songs laugh.gif Great players anyhow

Grunge by far.....those hair bands to me were hilarious and fun to laugh at more so than to listen.

I preferred AIC, Soundgarden some Nirvana and mostly Pearl Jam. I liked the raw edge of music appealed to me more than hair which I didn't take seriously.

Peace

QUOTE (metaldad @ May 7 2010, 08:02 PM)

True. They got a raw deal because they wrote shit songs laugh.gif Great players anyhow

laugh.gif

I agree. The first few albums were typical 80s hair metal shit, but you should check out the album Pull. It came out in i believe '93, and it has some Prog type stuff on it.

And Kip Wingers solo stuff is interesting, not hair metal at all.

Just don't tell anyone that i told you all this...i have me metal rep to protect biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 7 2010, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ May 7 2010, 03:19 PM)

Well I wasn't that big on GnR but compared to the likes of Poison and Warrant, I prefer them...

Another decent "hair" band of that era, certainly underrated anyway are Thunder...

Tesla was another band that got lumped in with all the hair metal guys, but i always just thought they were a straight up rock band.