the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

I'm reading Detroit Rock City, a history of rock in my birthplace by Steven Miller (not the guitar playing band leader). One interview is with a concert promoter who had some kind of video proof that a 1981 Pontiac Silverdome concert by the Electric Light Orchestra was in reality ELO miming over an audio tape of a previous concert. Allegedly there were no extraneous random notes or feedback or anything. It was too perfect, and wasn't the first time ELO tried this, just the first time they got caught. Sounds preposterous, but has any TRF member heard of this?

I'm reading Detroit Rock City, a history of rock in my birthplace by Steven Miller (not the guitar playing band leader). One interview is with a concert promoter who had some kind of video proof that a 1981 Pontiac Silverdome concert by the Electric Light Orchestra was in reality ELO miming over an audio tape of a previous concert. Allegedly there were no extraneous random notes or feedback or anything. It was too perfect, and wasn't the first time ELO tried this, just the first time they got caught. Sounds preposterous, but has any TRF member heard of this?

never, but it wouldn't surprise me. Playing a lot of their music live would be as difficult as recreating certain Queen songs and albums live, which is basically impossible.

never, but it wouldn't surprise me. Playing a lot of their music live would be as difficult as recreating certain Queen songs and albums live, which is basically impossible.

I haven't read the book, but this story rings a bell. Maybe ELO doing this is not a well-kept secret? :D (and I love ELO, mind you...)

What the fuckk happened to Anathema? They used to be so good.

What's wrong with The Optimist? I think it's a very good album.

How exactly does one get into Anathema? Is there a string of albums I should listen to first before going into anything else?

How exactly does one get into Anathema? Is there a string of albums I should listen to first before going into anything else?

Not sure, but I started with We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems, then got into their quite miserable(but evocative and ace) early noughties albums. And I've loved nearly everything to date, early stuff like Eternity, very heavy and dense, but worth checking out, great version of Roy Harper's "Hope" on it. Exceptional live too.

Happy hunting,

• Like 1

Not sure, but I started with We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems, then got into their quite miserable(but evocative and ace) early noughties albums. And I've loved nearly everything to date, early stuff like Eternity, very heavy and dense, but worth checking out, great version of Roy Harper's "Hope" on it. Exceptional live too.

Happy hunting,

I think if you ask ten persons, you'll get ten different answers. Highlights for me are Alternative 4 (1998), Judgement (1999), We're Here Because We're Here (2010) and the latest one The Optimist (2017).

I need to Stop with the Flower Kings.........but it's all so damn good!!!

they've also re-lit my torch for prog music.

which has been out for god......at least a year if not more.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Grunge and nineties alt-rock is better than sex...

...well...

Almost

no music ever beats some good lovin'

unless it's my home girl Wing of course.

Mick

She is better than anything

• Like 1

I love this cover that Nirvana did, it's so beautiful and it's my favorite song. The cello is magnificent in this and it makes this version more beautiful than the rest tbh. I've had it on repeat for the past few hours :heart:

The original is by The Vaselines, who Nirvana were heavily influenced by. I suggest checking em out bc they are amazing!! :) :)

Edited by Permanent-Rush

Without getting too much into it on this thread they lost me after Weather Systems that's all. I would dearly like them to get back to WHBWH/WS style without rehashing of course...anyways, glad you like :)