the "random music thoughts" thread

fledgehog

It's been coming my way for years: I'm getting into electronic music.

Previously I only really listened to Swedish synth pop group Slagsmalsklubben and some select Aphex Twin songs, but now I'm expanding, which will also probably mean listening to more Aphex Twin.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Don't thank me.

• Like 2

I listened to the very first Swans album today but while my Last.fm account says I've heard it once before last year, I don't have any recollection of ever doing so...so for all intents and purposes, I'll just say that this was the actual "first time" I've heard it with complete recollection. :P

Incidentally, today I continued my first crack at doing the "First Time Listen Only Albums" themed week which is a misnomer in and of itself since I only began on Wednesday and which I'm gonna conclude tomorrow. And today I managed to finally listen to the new Radiohead album which I thought was great and already went straight into my favorites of this year. Starting next week, I'm gonna begin listening to all the albums from this year I've listened to that I enjoyed and begin compiling my end of year best albums list. I might even have to do a Top 25 even...

I listened to the very first Swans album today but while my Last.fm account says I've heard it once before last year, I don't have any recollection of ever doing so...so for all intents and purposes, I'll just say that this was the actual "first time" I've heard it with complete recollection. :P

Incidentally, today I continued my first crack at doing the "First Time Listen Only Albums" themed week which is a misnomer in and of itself since I only began on Wednesday and which I'm gonna conclude tomorrow. And today I managed to finally listen to the new Radiohead album which I thought was great and already went straight into my favorites of this year. Starting next week, I'm gonna begin listening to all the albums from this year I've listened to that I enjoyed and begin compiling my end of year best albums list. I might even have to do a Top 25 even...

I'm struggling to make a top five haha

I'm struggling to make a top five haha

The struggle with narrowing down to a Top 10 is why I had to resort to a "Top 25" hahaha. I even thought of separating the rock and metal stuff and having an overall "Top 10" and a "Top 10 Rock/Metal" list but then I thought at least a quarter of those of those metal albums overlap into my top 10 overall. :LOL:

Edited by PolarizeMe

Sans live albums and compilations (I included singles and EPs), it would take approximately 27 days without interruption to listen to my entire iTunes library. Wow, that's a herculean task that would take me half a year to complete with interruptions/breaks/etc. if I dared attempt to do so.

Anyone know anything about the composition of the song Band On The Run? Was it three songs fused together?

I can't say for sure but it's certainly a possibility. I've heard about bands putting together unfinished parts of songs to make a complete song before.

• Like 1

Anyone know anything about the composition of the song Band On The Run? Was it three songs fused together?

I can't say for sure but it's certainly a possibility. I've heard about bands putting together unfinished parts of songs to make a complete song before.

I know that is how the Moodies' Question came about - it's three songs put together.

I just picked up a copy of Trick of the Tail on CD. Unfortunately it's the 2007 remaster and sounds like it wants to be Vapor Trails

the collins era in general sound awful on thoes remaster/remixes.

Gabriel era sounds top notch though.

Mick

I just picked up a copy of Trick of the Tail on CD. Unfortunately it's the 2007 remaster and sounds like it wants to be Vapor Trails

the collins era in general sound awful on thoes remaster/remixes.

Gabriel era sounds top notch though.

Mick

Foxtrot sounds just fine so I thought Trick would be alright. It's tolerable if I keep it at a low volume and try no to expect parts of the song they mixed lower... Dance on a Volcano's intro sounded somewhat unrecognizable

Also fun, I bought a used copy of Dreamless by Fallujah to discover that someone stuck a copy of Abbath in the case. I didn't notice because the disc didn't have any band logo/album title to indicate what was on it, just some picture of lighting or something

It's been coming my way for years: I'm getting into electronic music.

Previously I only really listened to Swedish synth pop group Slagsmalsklubben and some select Aphex Twin songs, but now I'm expanding, which will also probably mean listening to more Aphex Twin.

Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Don't thank me.

I've been listening to this album for years. Nice !!!

• Like 1

Fanboying it like a good 'un over Katatonia.

Last Fair Day Gone night, now that's how you put together a live album.

That was a great set...their 25th Anniversary set they did in London last year was just as amazing considering Gateways Through Bereavement was played for the first time in 20 years. From what I know though, it wasn't filmed but maybe was recorded on audio like the bonus live CD off of the recently released 10th anniversary reissue of The Great Cold Distance.

• Like 1

Exploring the fringes of my current musical tastes...especially in the non-metal category (rock's still included). Zappa's Sheik Yerbuti last night, Throbbing Gristle tonight, and tomorrow I plan on listening to some Lustmord for the first time. That said, a metal band that I recently got into though I've known them for several years is the controversial Deafheaven. Edited by PolarizeMe

That was a great set...their 25th Anniversary set they did in London last year was just as amazing considering Gateways Through Bereavement was played for the first time in 20 years. From what I know though, it wasn't filmed but maybe was recorded on audio like the bonus live CD off of the recently released 10th anniversary reissue of The Great Cold Distance.

4 disc, 2 cd and 2 dvds! Dvd 1 is the gig and 2 is a doc!

4 disc, 2 cd and 2 dvds! Dvd 1 is the gig and 2 is a doc!

I have it both on 2CD/2DVD and 3LP (at the time I wasn't sure if there would be a CD/DVD version cause the vinyl came out a whole year prior) while on the long side (2 1/2 hours) is quite informative and funny at times...especially when it comes to (ex/old) Daniel's recollections of the early 2000s era of the band. For quite a melancholic band they sure love to party a lot! Edited by PolarizeMe
  • Like 1

Speaking of Katatonia, the last time they came to America 4 years ago, they had Intronaut, TesseracT and Cult of Luna opening for them...while I didn't like TesseracT in hindsight, I ended up digging Intronaut and CoL and became a fan of both years later...though CoL took much longer to click w/me cause I thought their set was getting tedious for me half-way through cause I couldn't tell where their songs began nor end. This year they're bringing Caspian and Uncured for support and I listened to Caspian's latest album today and was pleasantly surprised how much I got into the record...a great band to support Katatonia I think.