Why Neil Peart is better than John Bonham

syrinxpriest 2112

I was referring to Grace2Grace and his "anti-Ged" comment earlier.

QUOTE (floydfanatic111 @ Feb 14 2007, 12:40 AM)
Neil didn't abuse himself with booze and drugs like Bonzo did. If you saw the films of the 1977 and 1979 Zeppelin tours, Bonzo was bloated on stage. Booze and alcohol was Bonzo's demise. Neil I think did dabble in drugs and so on but not an abuser like Bonzo was.

dabble? hahaha. yeah. dabble.

anyways, I agree for the most part. I think he more than dabbled, but didn't overuse it all the time. but I could be wrong.

I dont think Neil would be drumming how he is today if it wernt for drummers like Bonham. Technically yes Neil is better but only because of the greats like Moon, Bonham, Baker and the legendary Buddy Rich. Is it all about playing or is it the influence drummers have on others that makes them great?

Nothing against BONZO but Neil did beat him in Modern Drummers pole for best rock drummer- before Bonzo's death

Could this be why he checked out?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 12 2007, 12:36 PM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 12 2007, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 9 2007, 03:08 AM)
Neil is more about the technical aspect, Bonzo is more about the feel and the groove, both are absolute tops in what they do. No point in comparing them. End of thread.

Exactly. goodpost.gif

Neil wears better hats.

Neil actually wears hats.

I don't hate Neil Peart's drumming but I find his drum solos to be always the same. He doesn't spice it up by doing anythign different when they preform live.

John Bonham on the other hand, yes his style is very different from Rush but his solos were always different and he also composed one of the best drum solos ever in the recording of Moby Dick Live.

But that's just IMHO.

I tend to agree with you. I am always torn between the two. They are my top two of all time. Different styles but some of the same qualities as well. Bonham is heavier sounding but it fits the band's style. With Peart, his style and sound fits the band's overall sound. His creativity is one of a kind. It is sad that Bonham's death cut short his career so we will never know what he might have done later on in the band's career.

Both great drummers. I can watch Bonham solo. Neil;....yawn. Both don't measure up to my favorite drummer....Phil Collins. I know......shock. Phil is my drummer. or was. When he could play.

Mick

• Like 1

Led Zeppelin is my 2nd favorite band and I absolutely love Bonzo, but with Rush being my favorite band, Neil is my favorite drummer. You have to admit, John Bonham is a truly fantastic drummer as well.
  • Like 2

John Bonham was completely different animal. He could sound completely different and out of this world any night you heard him. There is nobody that is more physical with the drums than John Bonham. It's mind boggling how heavy he was. The fills he had were amazing also. There is nobody that comes close to him as far as talent goes. Neil is an experienced and techincal drummer. He's had basically 50 years of drumming under his belt now so he's probably got the technical part of drumming down. But Bonzo's style and physical talent are just impossible to compare to.
  • Like 1

All the greats are great because the play true to themselves. On any given day I can think someone is the absolute best at what they do, the next day I think it's someone else. I don't have a favorite drummer. I have my favorite drummers. Peart and Bonham are on the list.
  • Like 3

It's apples and oranges really. Bonzo is hands down more heavy and has better feel when playing a beat. Neil has a far more developed solo, and has really taken that to another level, as great as Bonzo could solo. Bonzo comes from a more traditional jazz and blues background, and Neil from a classic rock background. Danny Carey is fine. Not better than either. There are better technical drummers out there like Jojo Mayer. That guy is not human. Here's a link (the whole thing is great, but just before 1:30 it starts getting way the hell crazy):
  • Like 1

Neil is more about the technical aspect, Bonzo is more about the feel and the groove, both are absolute tops in what they do. No point in comparing them. End of thread.

This is the correct answer

THANK YOU. It's been seven years now that this has been gnawing at my mind and now it's finally settled. I can relax.

I've heard this argument for years. I'm a drummer, and I'm VERY unbiased and for me it's simple, it's Neil Peart.

Bonzo had power, feel, tremendous swing, had a quick foot on the bass pedal and he did come before NP so he had an influence on him and other drummers of the era.

But NP gets more points. He was WAY more technical, more precise, WAYYY more creative, had more stamina, more discipline, gets points for longevity. NP's productive output of 40 years of albums and concert tours was way more than Bonzo's relatively short 12 years. I've seen concert footage of Bonzo in his later years and he looked lazy and tired and (fat). He was very young at 32 when he died. So he should still have been in his prime in his later years, but surely didn't play like it. I can play any Zep song,.....but can't play many Rush songs.

NP played well into his 60s and still kicked ass everynight. Need I say more?