Why Neil Peart is better than John Bonham

syrinxpriest 2112

OK, I've been thinking about this thread and this just has to be said...

"Who do I think's a better drummer" is about the single-most asked question I get from people that approach me after shows as a small-time rock drummer. I'm talkin, since I very first started to play shows as a kid in 1983 people have been asking me that irrelevent god-forsaken question. . If you ever get a chance to meet a famous drummer, DON'T ASK HIM/HER THAT QUESTION! It's my biggest pet peave as an "entertainer" and I'll bet people ask that question all the time to the pros, too. No wonder Neil doesn't wanna talk to anyone with questions like that being asked over and over agiain. lol In leui of asking that question, may I suggest that you ask who their favorite drummer/s are. For example, I could sit here and tell you 101 reasons why Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world. I would be a complete tool for saying so, but it's sooooooo subjective! No one wants to address that dreaded subject. It rates right up there with "who is the fastest drummer?" I love to say "Buddy Rich" when people ask me that. That way, I can see how musically cultured the person is and whether I want to talk to the person. rofl3.gif Seriously, though, I saw Buddy play in 1984 at my high school, and I had front row seats. He did two solos. The first one was great. The second one just about shocked me. That old crusty dude was so incredibly quick. I've never seen anything like that on any of his videos though. Sorry for my rambling, but my point is that the fastest drummer in the world question is a little more quantifyable, but still a silly question to ask someone imho.

QUOTE (Rush! @ Feb 10 2007, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Feb 9 2007, 12:28 PM)
He doesn't spice it up by doing anything different when they preform live.

I completely agree. Neil has been drumming for long enough now that he could come up with some new solos and don't make them as long. I mean after 9 minutes it gets a little tedious, at least for me. My favorite live solo of his that I've heard so far is the solo on Working Man/Finding My Way on ATWAS. He ripped on that one.

I'm tired of the whole pieces of eight section in his solos. I mean, that song is so awesome, but using it all broken up like that just ruins it for me. I wish he would just let a sequencer do the marimba part so he could play the drums to it in it's entirety. I love the African percussion stuff he does with his V-Drums though. I find those parts very inspiring.

If anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about with "pieces of eight", here's what I'm talking about, it was one of those free thin plastic records that was stuck between pages of a Modern Drummer magazine issue around the time Hold Your Fire came out. Here's an mp3 of it: Neil Peart Pieces of Eight 1987 mp3

I'm not a big fan of Peart's solos anymore either.

I mean I know that what he is doing is amazing, but from the late 80's on they are very much just variations on a theme with more impressive film clips added for theatrical affect. I'd rather see alex or geddy solo for a change unless Neil is gonna really change it up!

QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Feb 10 2007, 02:11 PM)
"Who do I think's a better drummer" is about the single-most asked question I get from people that approach me after shows as a small-time rock drummer. I'm talkin, since I very first started to play shows as a kid in 1983 people have been asking me that irrelevent god-forsaken question. . If you ever get a chance to meet a famous drummer, DON'T ASK HIM/HER THAT QUESTION! It's my biggest pet peave as an "entertainer" and I'll bet people ask that question all the time to the pros, too. No wonder Neil doesn't wanna talk to anyone with questions like that being asked over and over agiain. lol In leui of asking that question, may I suggest that you ask who their favorite drummer/s are. For example, I could sit here and tell you 101 reasons why Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world. I would be a complete tool for saying so, but it's sooooooo subjective! No one wants to address that dreaded subject. It rates right up there with "who is the fastest drummer?" I love to say "Buddy Rich" when people ask me that. That way, I can see how musically cultured the person is and whether I want to talk to the person. rofl3.gif Seriously, though, I saw Buddy play in 1984 at my high school, and I had front row seats. He did two solos. The first one was great. The second one just about shocked me. That old crusty dude was so incredibly quick. I've never seen anything like that on any of his videos though. Sorry for my rambling, but my point is that the fastest drummer in the world question is a little more quantifyable, but still a silly question to ask someone imho.

who do you think is the best rock drummer?

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 10 2007, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (the_masked_drummer @ Feb 10 2007, 02:11 PM)
"Who do I think's a better drummer" is about the single-most asked question I get from people that approach me after shows as a small-time rock drummer.  I'm talkin, since I very first started to play shows as a kid in 1983 people have been asking me that irrelevent god-forsaken question. . If you ever get a chance to meet a famous drummer, DON'T ASK HIM/HER THAT QUESTION! It's my biggest pet peave as an "entertainer" and I'll bet people ask that question all the time to the pros, too. No wonder Neil doesn't wanna talk to anyone with questions like that being asked over and over agiain. lol In leui of asking that question, may I suggest that you ask who their favorite drummer/s are. For example, I could sit here and tell you 101 reasons why Ringo Starr is the best drummer in the world. I would be a complete tool for saying so, but it's sooooooo subjective! No one wants to address that dreaded subject. It rates right up there with "who is the fastest drummer?"  I love to say "Buddy Rich" when people ask me that. That way, I can see how musically cultured the person is and whether I want to talk to the person.  rofl3.gif  Seriously, though, I saw Buddy play in 1984 at my high school, and I had front row seats. He did two solos. The first one was great. The second one just about shocked me. That old crusty dude was so incredibly quick. I've never seen anything like that on any of his videos though. Sorry for my rambling, but my point is that the fastest drummer in the world question is a little more quantifyable, but still a silly question to ask someone imho.

who do you think is the best rock drummer?

Neil Peart, of course! Portnoy being second. Danny Carey of Tool a distant third... Thanks for asking, Lerxt1990!!! rofl3.gif

trink38.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 10 2007, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Feb 10 2007, 10:21 AM)
these sorts of comparisons are pointless. might as well say carbon is a better element than hydrogen. they're both great drummers with unique styles and I love listening to each of them for different reasons. I think if you spend your time ranking musicians or bands, you're probably not really listening to them.

F-ck that, Carbon kicks the crap out of Hydrogen! Cmon - polymorphs man, diamond, graphite, buckyballs, nanotubes....

CARBON RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would tend to agree on principle, i mean, buckyballs is just a cool word, especially if you're name is bucky. but to make beer you need water, and to make water you need hydrogen. so keep your buckyballs and nanotubes, i'll have a beer instead. trink38.gif trink39.gif

Edited by darrenhigh

QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Feb 10 2007, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 10 2007, 11:23 AM)
QUOTE (darrenhigh @ Feb 10 2007, 10:21 AM)
these sorts of comparisons are pointless. might as well say carbon is a better element than hydrogen. they're both great drummers with unique styles and I love listening to each of them for different reasons. I think if you spend your time ranking musicians or bands, you're probably not really listening to them.

F-ck that, Carbon kicks the crap out of Hydrogen! Cmon - polymorphs man, diamond, graphite, buckyballs, nanotubes....

CARBON RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i would tend to agree on principle, i mean, buckyballs is just a cool word, especially if you're name is bucky. but to make beer you need water, and to make water you need hydrogen. so keep your buckyballs and nanotubes, i'll have a beer instead. trink39.gif

ANy idea how hard it is to mention "buckyballs" to a class without laughing? smile.gif

C`mon ya`ll...not this again. You can`t compare Neil and Bonham!!

Neil is a technical genius. John Bohnam is the raw essence of drumming.

Would Bonham sound good playing La Villa????

How about Neil`s playing style on a track such as When the Levee Breaks. Not to say that either of them coulnd`t physically PLAY the others song.....their style just wouldn`t fit....IMHO.

Let`s not forget ONE HUGE diference between the two drummers.

Bonham`s Foot!!!!

Yeah, Neil is the man and all....but his bass drum work, up to this point, cant even begin to touch Bonham`s. Listen to I Can`t Quit You Baby, and you tell me what you think.

But that`s ok!!

They are two different drummers, with a different style/approach to the drums. That`s what makes the world of drums/percussion so unique.

Let`s just enjoy everyone`s contributions.

Ya`ll take care

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 12 2007, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 9 2007, 03:08 AM)
Neil is more about the technical aspect, Bonzo is more about the feel and the groove, both are absolute tops in what they do. No point in comparing them. End of thread.

Exactly. goodpost.gif

Neil wears better hats.

I was going to stay away from this one because these topics always generate some really silly posts. I know many drummers who prefer John Bonham over Neil hands down. Doesn't make them right. This is absolutely subjective and no proper comparison can be done. All I know is that in any list of top ten rock drummers of all time, that I have seen, both these guys appear. The order is subject to the author's personal opinion. They are both in my top 5, along with Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland. The 5th changes all the time - Danny Carey has been in there often. But then again, it doesn't make me right.

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Feb 12 2007, 01:09 PM)
I was going to stay away from this one because these topics always generate some really silly posts. I know many drummers who prefer John Bonham over Neil hands down. Doesn't make them right. This is absolutely subjective and no proper comparison can be done. All I know is that in any list of top ten rock drummers of all time, that I have seen, both these guys appear. The order is subject to the author's personal opinion. They are both in my top 5, along with Keith Moon and Stewart Copeland. The 5th changes all the time - Danny Carey has been in there often. But then again, it doesn't make me right.

Neil is better, WAY better, and I'm right. common001.gif biggrin.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 12 2007, 10:36 AM)
QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Feb 12 2007, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 9 2007, 03:08 AM)
Neil is more about the technical aspect, Bonzo is more about the feel and the groove, both are absolute tops in what they do. No point in comparing them. End of thread.

Exactly. goodpost.gif

Neil wears better hats.

goodpost.gif

too many reasons to list. I love John Bonham and Zeppelin, but it's not even a contest in my opinion. I'd rate Neil my favorite, then probably Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, then maybe john.

I agree that both are tremendous drummers. Yes Peart is the complete package, but it would have been intersting to see what John did with drumming if he didn't pass. Maybe Neil wouldn't have been as popular, tough to say. I know, blasphemy...

Neil has always been my favorite, I've never really gotten into John that much. John had a tremendous groove though (big an fat), but I would have to say lately that Neil (especially after working with Gruber), grooves just as well, if not better.

Let's hope Neil is around for many years to come because when he's gone, who will be left. There are no drum or guitar heroes anymore and it's a shame. There will come a time maybe soon where there will be no more RUSH, YES, FLOYD,GENESIS,STONES. What happens after that?

Anyways, R.I.P. John.

Dump the smokes Neil, and keep banging out those albums. I don't know what I'd do without you brother. Just my opinion.

Drumlord

Neil didn't abuse himself with booze and drugs like Bonzo did. If you saw the films of the 1977 and 1979 Zeppelin tours, Bonzo was bloated on stage. Booze and alcohol was Bonzo's demise. Neil I think did dabble in drugs and so on but not an abuser like Bonzo was.

you're just scared of Geddy's power.

You are afraid it would sound like armageddon and you'd pee your pants.

:-)