Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Tour postponed to next year due to covid concerns. I guess they're just not quite ready to get back out there even though many tours and sporting events are back to full capacity.

https://www.blabberm...id-19-concerns/

I figured this was going to happen so I never got tickets. Not sad about it either. There's always next year.if things improve.

It's amazing these guys can put out new music so frequently. Been waiting for over a decade for a new King's X album.

DT have a hype machine with the metal press. King's X never got the attention they deserve from the metal press.

Or is it the fact that musically King's X doesn't really have a mass appeal quality to them like Dream Theater does? I think King's X was a much harder band to market.

King's X definitely has the chops for mass appeal, but they've leaned into some odd musical choices over the years. The lack of a promotion machine behind them after the Dogman era certainly is a factor.

They were pretty big after Woodstock '94 but their profile flatlined after that.

I got the album today. I wasn't a fan of the singles, but absolutely love this album!!!! It's a step ahead of Distance Over Time. So melodic!!!

This is good news. I'm excited. Love my boys from Long Island.

• Like 2

I got the album today. I wasn't a fan of the singles, but absolutely love this album!!!! It's a step ahead of Distance Over Time. So melodic!!!

Argh I'm so pumped. I loved Distance Over Time.

• Like 1

It's amazing these guys can put out new music so frequently. Been waiting for over a decade for a new King's X album.

DT have a hype machine with the metal press. King's X never got the attention they deserve from the metal press.

Or is it the fact that musically King's X doesn't really have a mass appeal quality to them like Dream Theater does? I think King's X was a much harder band to market.

i agree with this. King's X were all over the place musically. there was really no lane to market them in......less appeal to a set audiance. DT made little changes but they always had the metal market and thus more appeal there.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

i agree with this. King's X were all over the place musically. there was really no lane to market them in......less appeal to a set audiance. DT made little changes but they always had the metal market and thus more appeal there.

Mick

Absolutely.

Have to say, Kings X are so all over the place I find them a turn off these days.

• Like 1

We'll see. Hopefully there's a bit more diversity on it. Only a few more weeks of waiting.

We'll see. Hopefully there's a bit more diversity on it. Only a few more weeks of waiting.

For about an hour of wanking..... :)

Mick

Absolutely.

Have to say, Kings X are so all over the place I find them a turn off these days.

KING'S Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

The new DT album is phenomenal

Can't wait to hear it. Last album was brilliant.

If you enjoyed Systematic Chaos, and want BETTER, eat your heart out!

• Like 3

My least favorite album. I hope it's nothing like that.

• Like 1

My least favorite album. I hope it's nothing like that.

There are instrumental sections on the album that will remind you of Systematic Chaos, but the resemblance stops there.

I thought album Resembled a Portnoy era album so much. mostly Sytematic Chaos a bunch minus the Portnoy-isms that make me HATE that period in time (like his stupid ass "growling") So this to me is SC done right. BUT.....It's not ALL like SC.

Invisable Monster is better within the album and recalls Images and Words a bit. Transcending time is my fav song here. VERY melodic hook. I loved and Still love the Alien. Sleeping giabnt is prbably the weirdest thing on here. i didn't know where the heck it was headed but it's a grower for sure.

and the title track has become my fav DT epic ever. i've often thought DT is weakest in the longer 18-20 minute epic form but this one nails it.

My fav of the magini era. GREAT album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Looking forward to diving in!!!

I thought album Resembled a Portnoy era album so much. mostly Sytematic Chaos a bunch minus the Portnoy-isms that make me HATE that period in time (like his stupid ass "growling") So this to me is SC done right. BUT.....It's not ALL like SC.

Invisable Monster is better within the album and recalls Images and Words a bit. Transcending time is my fav song here. VERY melodic hook. I loved and Still love the Alien. Sleeping giabnt is prbably the weirdest thing on here. i didn't know where the heck it was headed but it's a grower for sure.

and the title track has become my fav DT epic ever. i've often thought DT is weakest in the longer 18-20 minute epic form but this one nails it.

Mick

I've completed one listen!

Whew! It's not bad, that's for sure. I was worried a bit after I didn't really dig The Alien, but it grew on me. They were just playing circles around my train of thought. And what a way to kick off an album! Mangini continues to prove his metal each album.

The production is really stellar. Much heavier than The Astonishing, and much clearer than A Dramatic Turn Of Events (though I do love that album, it sounds like it's in the clouds on the cover). It's even a bit better balanced than Distance Over Time, which sounds great.

The songs, hm. I dug The Alien more in the album... Invisible Monster I still like quite a bit... Answering The Call stood out to me... Honestly a lot of these are made of very similar DNA. This isn't at all like DoT where you had a few very unusual ideas (unusual for DT, more rock/alternative ish) which stuck out in the tracklist, for better or for worse. This seems to be a highly consistent listen, with one exception: Transcending Time. This song... I need to hear it again. It's like the eye of the hurricane, the closest thing to a ballad on here but it's not ballad. It's much closer to I Walk Beside You from Octavarium, but it lacks that song's annoying "we're ripping off U2 now" quality. It's a big beautiful soaring pop song, but one that sits comfortably enough next to these hardcore prog metal workouts as to not take you out of the album. I'd say after only one listen this is probably my favorite thing here. I should probably mention the epic too. I'm a big fan of epics, especially the 20 minute variety... this doesn't really feel like one to me. It moves through a few different moods, sure, and it has a good range of dynamics, but I'm not really sure what ties it all together. To me it feels a bit jammy, or like a ten minute song stretched out to 20. It's not short of musical content, mind you, but in comparison to something like Octavarium, it's not as epic in distance as it is in time. Perhaps more listens will change my mind. I did like it, and there's this very beautiful soft section in the middle where James really pulls you in to listen to the lyrics.

Here's my major complaint though, and one I think probably keeps it below DoT for me: the melodies often seem to be afterthoughts. If your favorite thing about Dream Theater is listening to four instrumental virtuosos play incredibly complex music at the limits of their powers, this album is exactly what you're looking for. But for me, it's not Dream Theater without those Majestic melodies, and James' expressive voice. It's not like James is phoning it in here or anything. No, I think the problem actually runs deeper. It seems to me that the chord progressions he was given to work with just don't lend themselves to very great melodies. They seem to change tonal centers just when you think you've got the hang of where they're going. James is giving it his best I'm sure, but I think after LTE3 and Petrucci and Rudess' recent solo albums, they must have been in a more instrumental writing mood. I don't hate the melodies that are here either, but they seem distinctly less memorable than those on DoT, or for an example with more complex music to work around, Scenes. Scenes manages to fit great melodies in and around some of DT's most mind bending instrumentals. They didn't quite get there this time, which is fine. Scenes is one of their greatest accomplishments after all, but I'm writing an impromptu review and this is the cons column for me.

Anyway, will I buy it? Absolutely.

• Like 1

Mick

Whew! It's not bad, that's for sure. I was worried a bit after I didn't really dig The Alien, but it grew on me. They were just playing circles around my train of thought. And what a way to kick off an album! Mangini continues to prove his metal each album.

The production is really stellar. Much heavier than The Astonishing, and much clearer than A Dramatic Turn Of Events (though I do love that album, it sounds like it's in the clouds on the cover). It's even a bit better balanced than Distance Over Time, which sounds great.

The songs, hm. I dug The Alien more in the album... Invisible Monster I still like quite a bit... Answering The Call stood out to me... Honestly a lot of these are made of very similar DNA. This isn't at all like DoT where you had a few very unusual ideas (unusual for DT, more rock/alternative ish) which stuck out in the tracklist, for better or for worse. This seems to be a highly consistent listen, with one exception: Transcending Time. This song... I need to hear it again. It's like the eye of the hurricane, the closest thing to a ballad on here but it's not ballad. It's much closer to I Walk Beside You from Octavarium, but it lacks that song's annoying "we're ripping off U2 now" quality. It's a big beautiful soaring pop song, but one that sits comfortably enough next to these hardcore prog metal workouts as to not take you out of the album. I'd say after only one listen this is probably my favorite thing here. I should probably mention the epic too. I'm a big fan of epics, especially the 20 minute variety... this doesn't really feel like one to me. It moves through a few different moods, sure, and it has a good range of dynamics, but I'm not really sure what ties it all together. To me it feels a bit jammy, or like a ten minute song stretched out to 20. It's not short of musical content, mind you, but in comparison to something like Octavarium, it's not as epic in distance as it is in time. Perhaps more listens will change my mind. I did like it, and there's this very beautiful soft section in the middle where James really pulls you in to listen to the lyrics.

Here's my major complaint though, and one I think probably keeps it below DoT for me: the melodies often seem to be afterthoughts. If your favorite thing about Dream Theater is listening to four instrumental virtuosos play incredibly complex music at the limits of their powers, this album is exactly what you're looking for. But for me, it's not Dream Theater without those Majestic melodies, and James' expressive voice. It's not like James is phoning it in here or anything. No, I think the problem actually runs deeper. It seems to me that the chord progressions he was given to work with just don't lend themselves to very great melodies. They seem to change tonal centers just when you think you've got the hang of where they're going. James is giving it his best I'm sure, but I think after LTE3 and Petrucci and Rudess' recent solo albums, they must have been in a more instrumental writing mood. I don't hate the melodies that are here either, but they seem distinctly less memorable than those on DoT, or for an example with more complex music to work around, Scenes. Scenes manages to fit great melodies in and around some of DT's most mind bending instrumentals. They didn't quite get there this time, which is fine. Scenes is one of their greatest accomplishments after all, but I'm writing an impromptu review and this is the cons column for me.

I both love this album and already feel "over it". Distance Over Time kept me hooked endlessly. This album is both magnificent and...I've heard it all before...and yet...I also love hearing it again!

Strange reaction I'm having. Can I call an 8/10 a disappointment?

• Like 1

Mick

I share your compliant about the melodies not being there like they normally are with them. James does a great job. His voice is on point and very clear throughout the album but as you said, it seems the way the music was written didn't leave a lot of opportunity for those great vocal melodies. I feel the same about the title track. It seems like they're jumping from one musical mood to the next because they trying to do a 20 minute song instead of letting the music naturally flow into making it a song of that length.

It's still a pretty good album overall. When it comes to the modern stuff, I would only put it over the Asstonishing though.

• Like 1

Mick

I share your compliant about the melodies not being there like they normally are with them. James does a great job. His voice is on point and very clear throughout the album but as you said, it seems the way the music was written didn't leave a lot of opportunity for those great vocal melodies. I feel the same about the title track. It seems like they're jumping from one musical mood to the next because they trying to do a 20 minute song instead of letting the music naturally flow into making it a song of that length.

It's still a pretty good album overall. When it comes to the modern stuff, I would only put it over the Asstonishing though.

Sometimes it’s acutely relieving to see someone shares my opinion about something!

• Like 1