Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I watched that Eddie Trunk clip, Derek seriously sounds like a jilted lover who obsessively talks about how much of a piece of shit their ex is. It's a shame because he's one of my favorite keyboardists.

Do you have a link to the Eddie Trunk clip?

Do you think it's a fair assessment to say that Mike Portnoy is the Dennis DeYoung of Dream Theater?

No. DeYoung was an actual songwriter rather than merely a contributor, and is far more conceited than Portnoy, who is more of a humble bragger (which some would say is worse).

Edited by The K Man

Do you think it's a fair assessment to say that Mike Portnoy is the Dennis DeYoung of Dream Theater?

No. DeYoung was an actual songwriter rather than merely a contributor, and is far more conceited than Portnoy, who is more of a humble bragger (which some would say is worse).

ya think portnoy's humble?

hmmmmm.......that's a tough one.

Mick

ya think portnoy's humble?

hmmmmm.......that's a tough one.

Mick

I said he was a "humble bragger," which means he tries to play it off like he is humble, but really he is bragging.

• Like 1

Portnoy is an alright guy. He catches a lot of hell, because he DOES have a huge ego; but he ultimately means well and cares about his fans. He's my all time favorite drummer, and a creative force that can not be replaced.

I really miss him being a part of Dream Theater.

Portnoy is an alright guy. He catches a lot of hell, because he DOES have a huge ego; but he ultimately means well and cares about his fans. He's my all time favorite drummer, and a creative force that can not be replaced.

Yeah. It was lose lose when he left dt imo.

The synergy between between portnoy and pettrucci was strong

Lose-Lose for some, Win-Win for others.

• Like 1

i certainly wasn't sad.

Mick

He can be replaced and he was. One could argue that 2 grammy nominations since his departure makes them more successful without him. This dead horse has been beaten several times but this was his own fault. He quite thinking he could join AV7 and he miscalculated and it cost him his bread and butter.

I'm indifferent about him returning. I like seeing him in a bunch of projects, and having DT. More music for me!

Edited by Tick
  • Like 1

i certainly wasn't sad.

Mick

I was sad for him but the guy was burnt out -- though a lot of that was his own doing.

i certainly wasn't sad.

Mick

I was sad for him but the guy was burnt out -- though a lot of that was his own doing.

I agree 100 percent. As Tick said what happend was mostly his doing. if he was burnt out quit the extra projects. but don't expect a band that is not burnt out and willing to go to sit around wait wait while you recharge.

he'd called their bluff and walked they said fine. have a nice career.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

i certainly wasn't sad.

Mick

I agree 100 percent. As Tick said what happend was mostly his doing. if he was burnt out quit the extra projects. but don't expect a band that is not burnt out and willing to go to sit around wait wait while you recharge.

he'd called their bluff and walked they said fine. have a nice career.

Mick

He was burnt out on Dream Theater because (by his own choosing because he was the band's biggest fan) he was involved in just about every aspect of it.

He had to give up control or it would have totally consumed him eventually.

i'll leave this here.

good set list.

https://www.blabberm...on-in-november/

Mick

Good set indeed.

they're doimg A Nightmare to Remeber which is kick ass. not a fan of black Clouds but i love that song.

Mick

I haven't heard it aside from snippets from the "auditioning different drummers" documentary. Black Clouds is one of the albums I still need to get to.

• Like 1

I asked Jordan in 2017 if it would happen, and he said no.

Do you know how DT feel overall about TA?

• Like 1