Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

New album info to be announced tomorrow.

https://www.blabberm...ases-new-album/

super!!!!!!!

DoT really grew on me.

i tell ya....the mangini era has been amazing (Except........TA.....no that was a fever dream.....Never happened)

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Excited! It's been a fifteen year journey, me and DT, and I've had my ups and downs on them, but I am definitely a fan.

For some reason, Distance Over Time was a turning point for me, as I couldn't stop playing it. It's definitely one of my favourite albums of the last five years, and I spun it endlessly upon its release.

Heck, I want to hear it again now!

So pumped for this album. The Astonishing is my least favourite album they have done, but that doesn't matter to me, as otherwise this latest era has been fantastic.

• Like 2

The Astonishing is terrible.

This is an understatement.

Still, I give it a 10/10 ������

Thats the trouble with your grading system. :lol:

I rate albums by how I feel on the day, it's very stupid and I don't do it anywhere else.

If I wrote a book and gave ratings based on what I truly think, objectively and subjectively, is great and what is just my personal taste...you'd not see anywhere near as many high scores.

But I just rate based on my own personal enjoyment. And I tend to only play what I love (and then I get silly, but it's just me being enthusiastic in the moment).

I tend to just skip the rating part and move on to the enjoyment phase.

Ditto. I rate rating things a 0/10

I found DT's last album enjoyable. In generally I prefer the pre-Mangini era material, but there's plenty of good songs sprinkled in the past 15 years. TA aside of course.
  • Like 2

HELLLL yes, new Maiden album AND a new DT album!

Distance Over Time still holds up really well for me. The best Mangini-era offering yet.

Petrucci said he broke out an 8-string for part of this album so I'm excited to see how it sounds.

• Like 1

I like the album cover!

The shoe is a litter odd I'll admit, but the rest of it is gorgeous!

And check out the tracklist!

TRACKLIST

1. THE ALIEN (9:32)

2. ANSWERING THE CALL (7:35)

3. INVISIBLE MONSTER (6:31)

4. SLEEPING GIANT (10:05)

5. TRANSCENDING TIME (6:25)

6. AWAKEN THE MASTER (9:47)

7. A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD (20:24)

Only 7 songs and only two of them are under 7 minutes, the shortest being 6:25. It's gonna get proggy, that's for sure.

• Like 1

And check out the tracklist!

TRACKLIST

1. THE ALIEN (9:32)

2. ANSWERING THE CALL (7:35)

3. INVISIBLE MONSTER (6:31)

4. SLEEPING GIANT (10:05)

5. TRANSCENDING TIME (6:25)

6. AWAKEN THE MASTER (9:47)

7. A VIEW FROM THE TOP OF THE WORLD (20:24)

Only 7 songs and only two of them are under 7 minutes, the shortest being 6:25. It's gonna get proggy, that's for sure.

that's awesome Distance over time was a grower. took me ages to really love it. see where this one takes me.

i'm ready for this.

Mick

• Like 2

Probably have to get another one of those art books to get everything I need. Holding off on buying tickets until I get better idea of where this Covid thing is going. Normally Dream Theater tickets would be a no brainer but not this year.
  • Like 1

Probably have to get another one of those art books to get everything I need. Holding off on buying tickets until I get better idea of where this Covid thing is going. Normally Dream Theater tickets would be a no brainer but not this year.

You are justified to be concerned large gatherings may not be a thing for much longer at the rate delta is spreading and degree of sickness it's causing compared to the original.

• Like 1

You are justified to be concerned large gatherings may not be a thing for much longer at the rate delta is spreading and degree of sickness it's causing compared to the original.

We'll see. Too many unknowns at this point but maybe more will be known in November and I might get to see them anyway. Saw Jordan Rudess in June and that seemed to go well. Kind of regret getting Neal Morse tickets for October, but we'll see how that goes too.

We'll see. Too many unknowns at this point but maybe more will be known in November and I might get to see them anyway. Saw Jordan Rudess in June and that seemed to go well. Kind of regret getting Neal Morse tickets for October, but we'll see how that goes too.

Live Nation said yesterday that they will require proof of vaccination or a negative covid test for all concerts in the US. I don't know if that will cover your Dream Theater show but at least they're trying to do something to make people feel ok going to shows again.

First thoughts:

Mangini is now officially giving Portnoy a run for his money, in sound and complexity.

This is a super technical proggy affair for sure, lots of weird time signature riffing and unusual chord changes all over the place.

Structurally...I'm more confused than thrilled. While it's always exciting to hear what these guys can cook up on the instrumental workout front, the more song-like portions of the track feel mostly half hearted to me, like they wrote this mad cool instrumental and then decided it needed lyrics and vocals where it didn't really.

Despite that I don't have a problem with James' voice. He sounds much the same as he did on DoT, and if this more drawn out, slightly lower register is more sustainable for him then I can dig it. It's just the melodies feel more like guide tones than verses and choruses. That is until the end. The final vocal passage, after the unchained back and forth guitar and keyboard solo, is pretty evocative, and that moment is where I really got the lyric as well. Good job there.

• Like 1

They finally figured out production in the Mangini era!!!!!!

i heard everything clearly. everything had it's own space to breath

DoT production got close but was still slightly crowded.....it's like they been working towards this!!!!! i am so Fukking happy.....this isn't me fan boing if you remember DoT's two singles left me just kinda meh.

I cannot fukking wait!!!!!!

Mick

• Like 1

Second thoughts (gave it another listen tangentially while watching a video of a guy already doing a full guitar cover of it on YouTube)

Okay I get the structure now. It eluded me at first with all the dizzying pyrotechnics but there is a real song in here.

The main verses and choruses are pretty guide-toney, but they're serviceable. The guitar parts beneath them are actually quite melodic and exciting, and those massive vocals on the "A Li En" chorus are really cool.

That ending sequence is thrilling, sounds like doomsday.

I still think the last vocal passage, "I am the alien...," is the best melody here. Really uplifting and includes a lot of ear catching intervals.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1