Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I don't remember DT that well. I need to revisit it. It's been years.

4. The Astonishing (Some great stuff, but problems as I ranted about above keep this comfortably low)

3. A View From The Top Of The World (production is first class, performances are spectacular... melodies? Maybe it'll grow on me.)

2. A Dramatic Turn Of Events (One of the albums that first got me into DT, love it a whole whole lot. James has some stunning vocals still in him on here too)

1. Distance Over Time (Better production than anything in years when it came out, super tuneful, excellent performances, a focus on shorter songs and tighter arrangements. Love it.)

My my Mangini era

5. Astonishing (flat sucks)

4. Distance (good but i don't agree it's amazing one bit)

3. Turn of events (Production is lifeless but lots of great songs. it was DT finally breathing again)

2. DT (Tuneful......some of this era's best melody's and to me it's a crowded production job bt at the same time nice and thick.)

1. A View.....(i feel people are underselling this. even Segue who loves but undercuts it's with his ranking all the time, lol. yes it's nothing new...fine i agree but this is this era pulling off a tremendous effort with an ease most bands dream of. and not only are the songs A class but i believe it's their best sounding album to date.)

Mick

I've seen you rank new DT releases super high every time they are first released, I put it fourth because I don't necessarily think it's better than three other albums lol.

Edited by Segue Myles

My my Mangini era

3. Turn of events (Production is lifeless but lots of great songs. it was DT finally breathing again)

2. DT (Tuneful......some of this era's best melody's and to me it's a crowded production job bt at the same time nice and thick.)

1. A View.....(i feel people are underselling this. even Segue who loves but undercuts it's with his ranking all the time, lol. yes it's nothing new...fine i agree but this is this era pulling off a tremendous effort with an ease most bands dream of. and not only are the songs A class but i believe it's their best sounding album to date.)

Mick

I've seen you rank new DT releases super high every time they are first released, I put it fourth because I don't necessarily think it's better than three other albums lol.

yea but this one's gonna stay just played it yesterday. it's my fav, lol

Mick

My my Mangini era

Mick

yea but this one's gonna stay just played it yesterday. it's my fav, lol

Mick

I think it's great, just think the three albums I put before it were better. No biggie!

• Like 2

I will put the new album a little bit below the last one. It's a very good album, I just wouldn't rank it among the bands best. I get the comparison to Systematic Chaos. A View is like a focused version of that album. While I don't like anything on it as much as In The Presence Of Enemies, it's certainly not an all over the place album like SC is. A View knows exactly what it is and what it's trying to achieve and the band pulls that off very well on it.

I think I should listen to both Presence songs by themselves. Your enthusiasm makes me wonder if I'm missing out!

Yes, horrible mistake not putting the whole song together to close out the album. I remember rearranging the track order on my iPod back when the album came out to make sure they were together at the end of the album. I made Constant Motion the first song. One of the rare times where I thought the track listing for an album needed to be fixed a little bit.

• Like 1

I think I enjoy Distance over Time more than the new album, but the new album is a natural twin of the other. It's looser and more expansive, throwing off any restraints they had on the first one. They feel like the perfect pair, DoT being the "intro" and AVFTTOTW being the "alright you're hooked, here's the shit they can really do".

It's tough. Both albums feel so tightly connected in terms of sound.

I will put the new album a little bit below the last one. It's a very good album, I just wouldn't rank it among the bands best. I get the comparison to Systematic Chaos. A View is like a focused version of that album. While I don't like anything on it as much as In The Presence Of Enemies, it's certainly not an all over the place album like SC is. A View knows exactly what it is and what it's trying to achieve and the band pulls that off very well on it.

I think I should listen to both Presence songs by themselves. Your enthusiasm makes me wonder if I'm missing out!

Yes, horrible mistake not putting the whole song together to close out the album. I remember rearranging the track order on my iPod back when the album came out to make sure they were together at the end of the album. I made Constant Motion the first song. One of the rare times where I thought the track listing for an album needed to be fixed a little bit.

i love the presence Epic but i too hate it split up. kills it's natural flow. i have a playlist of SC that puts em back to back as the closer. it really works.

Mick

• Like 1

i love the presence Epic but i too hate it split up. kills it's natural flow. i have a playlist of SC that puts em back to back as the closer. it really works.

Mick

The Chaos in Motion live album has them playing the entire thing at once, you just have to deal with that it's a horribly produced live album

• Like 1

Mick

The Chaos in Motion live album has them playing the entire thing at once, you just have to deal with that it's a horribly produced live album

that album is indeed dogshit, lol but the crime here is killer set list.

Mick

Mick

Mick

I recall getting Strange Deja-Vu, Blind Faith, Surrounded and In The Presence Of Enemies played properly in full when I saw them on that tour. I was pretty happy with that.

• Like 2

Mick

Mick

I recall getting Strange Deja-Vu, Blind Faith, Surrounded and In The Presence Of Enemies played properly in full when I saw them on that tour. I was pretty happy with that.

I wish there was a documented full show rather than this compilation they came up with coupled with some nasty production. Portnoy was certainly good at making set lists.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I wish there was a documented full show rather than this compilation they came up with coupled with some nasty production. Portnoy was certainly good at making set lists.

I remember I used to check online after every show to see what they played back when Portnoy used to mix up the set each night. It's cool that every town got a different set from the next. It made the fans have a unique experience at each show. But the downside could be a bad song swap. Like the show before yours could have gotten The Glass Prison and then you end up getting something like I Walk Beside You instead. Not exactly what I would call an even trade.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Here is how I rank the Mangini era:

The flop (which actually isn't all bad)

5. The Astonishing

And then, all absolutely fire:

4. The View From The Top Of The World

3. A Dramatic Turn Of Events

2. Dream Theater

1. Distance Over Time

Exactly how I have them too.

I really enjoy the new album. Some sizzling songs. But overall it lacks the great melodies which I always prefer. Distance Over Time is pure gold in that regard as well as the Self Titled. Hence why I agree 100% with your rankings.

The mix and production on the new record however is their very best in the Mangini era. Another ear observation is this is clearly Mike Mangini’s best playing and drum work since he joined the band. He finally sounds like he had a clear and focused hand into what he wanted to do song wise with his drumming. I love it.

My song rankings:

1. Answering The Call - This is clearly for me the best song top to bottom. Incredible riff, great chorus, just a banger.

2. The Alien - A rip roaring DT romp. Concise and focused. The entire band is featured all over this song.

3. Invisible Monster - Ahhhh there is the melodies we love. Cleary a single.

4. Transcending Time - Rush all over this gem. Also the melodies.....serve the song.

5. Awaken The Master - This is the real epic IMO. A wonderful journey of moods in one song under 10 minutes.

6. A View From The Top Of The World - Not their best epic....not even close...but it is good.

7. Sleeping Giant - Need more time with this one.

Not a bad track on the album. It is a good DT record no doubt. But lyrically not their strongest and melody it does lack overall. Still.....increible playing and production makes up for it’s shortcomings on the overall songwriting front. Distance Over Time and Self Titled are the pinnacle of their song writing prowess in terms of riffs and melody uniting to make incredible DT songs.

7/10 - A good album.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

I feel like a noob, lol. ever person and their gerbil is partying over DoT and you got me.

Me: "watches party and shrugs"

it's cool but it's also like am i broken?

bless you guys, lol

Mick

Untethered Angel, S2N, At Wit's End, and Pale Blue Dot are some of their best work IMO.

• Like 1

Mick

Mick

I remember I used to check online after every show to see what they played back when Portnoy used to mix up the set each night. It's cool that every town got a different set from the next. It made the fans have a unique experience at each show. But the downside could be a bad song swap. Like the show before yours could have gotten The Glass Prison and then you end up getting something like I Walk Beside You instead. Not exactly what I would call an even trade.

Oh god I would _hate_ that.

I feel like a noob, lol. ever person and their gerbil is partying over DoT and you got me.

Me: "watches party and shrugs"

it's cool but it's also like am i broken?

bless you guys, lol

Mick

Untethered Angel, S2N, At Wit's End, and Pale Blue Dot are some of their best work IMO.

i never got Pale Blue Dot. it's just kinda long and doesn't go much of anywhere. i'll give you S2N and At wit's End, love those. Unthered Angel is kinda blah to me. underwhelmed me as a single. still does now.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Small part of me wonders if I should keep my boxed set sealed and wait for the separate 5.1 bluray release in the coming months... I really only want the 5.1 mix at this point, and don't expect to be playing it that much if I'm honest with myself. The album is fine, but not music I'll seek out with my limited surround music time.

One thing I think the new album has over DoT is everything to do with JLB and Myung. The vocals aren't drowned in effects and the melodies suit James's range. He sounds really good!

And as I mentioned before I can hear John Myung everywhere and he's got some killer lines.

• Like 1

awesome album, seems like a sequel to a dramatic turn in events

dream theater's always caught criticism, at least here, for not 'evolving' much, but i don't think they need to.

I actually think it sounds more like a sequel to the last album.

• Like 2

awesome album, seems like a sequel to a dramatic turn in events

dream theater's always caught criticism, at least here, for not 'evolving' much, but i don't think they need to.

I actually think it sounds more like a sequel to the last album.

i skipped that one, even though i've heard it was quite better than the astonishing. i'm also largely making the association due the the artwork

My show out here has been rescheduled for Feb 6.

It's funny how they rescheduled the tour due to covid concerns then decide to do it during the coldest month of the year when people are staying indoors and spreading germs more.

• Like 1

My show out here has been rescheduled for Feb 6.

It's funny how they rescheduled the tour due to covid concerns then decide to do it during the coldest month of the year when people are staying indoors and spreading germs more.

Hahahahaha! Excellent point! So stupid!