Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I asked Jordan in 2017 if it would happen, and he said no.

Do you know how DT feel overall about TA?

They're proud of it, but they understand why a good chunk of the fan base didn't like it.

they should feel proud of it. they did whatever they wanted. they've earned. who cares what we whine about at this point, lol

Mick

• Like 4

I asked Jordan in 2017 if it would happen, and he said no.

Do you know how DT feel overall about TA?

They're proud of it, but they understand why a good chunk of the fan base didn't like it.

they should feel proud of it. they did whatever they wanted. they've earned. who cares what we whine about at this point, lol

Mick

It's basically their Caress of Steel.

The plot is a rehash of the 2112 story. While Rush took 20 minutes to convey their message, Dream Theater stretched it to three hours. It was a nice try, and great that they focused their energy on a project that they enjoyed the end result. But listening to it from start to finish is a humongous task. I did it twice, and don't think I'll ever get back to it.
  • Like 1

The plot is a rehash of the 2112 story. While Rush took 20 minutes to convey their message, Dream Theater stretched it to three hours. It was a nice try, and great that they focused their energy on a project that they enjoyed the end result. But listening to it from start to finish is a humongous task. I did it twice, and don't think I'll ever get back to it.

it honestly has some really nice melodic moments but the lyrics are putrid and it's too long.. and Neal morse came out with Similitude that year and showed them how concept double albums should be done.

god now THAT'S a concept album.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

I'll get this, but I'm still waiting for The Astonishing Live album (likely forever.)

Why? Do you want to know if the sound of the audience snoring during the performance is louder than the music?

������

But seriously...who wants a studio AND a live version of this borefest?

I think it's a musical masterpiece. The lyrics are the huge anchor.

Bad lyrics for a musical masterpiece can get a pass if that masterpiece is a bit shorter. But when that masterpiece is two hours long, it's hard to get past those kind of lyrics.

• Like 1

I'll get this, but I'm still waiting for The Astonishing Live album (likely forever.)

Why? Do you want to know if the sound of the audience snoring during the performance is louder than the music?

������

Bad lyrics for a musical masterpiece can get a pass if that masterpiece is a bit shorter. But when that masterpiece is two hours long, it's hard to get past those kind of lyrics.

yea. they could have done a single disc concept or EVEN realize as vol 1, Vol 2. not that i'd like it better but Volumes a year apart. would have made it AT LEAST easier to sit through.

Mick

• Like 1

������

Oh, you enjoyed the lyrics? They were the worst part for me. Had I had that connection, I could have warmed to the music.

������

Oh, you enjoyed the lyrics? They were the worst part for me. Had I had that connection, I could have warmed to the music.

i think he means they dragged the album down.

Mick

• Like 1

Absolutely true. 2112 on steroids. But the fallout is very reminiscent of Caress of Steel. Not many tour dates. Polarization of fans. Not a lot of documentation on the live show.

• Like 2

������

i think he means they dragged the album down.

Mick

It's a damn shame too.

Absolutely true. 2112 on steroids. But the fallout is very reminiscent of Caress of Steel. Not many tour dates. Polarization of fans. Not a lot of documentation on the live show.

The big difference between Rush during Caress and DT during the Asstonishing is that DT was a very well established band at that point and I don't believe the album nearly sunk the band like Caress did for Rush. DT was also able to quickly turn that negativity around when they went out on the Images and Words 25th anniversary tour the following year. That was pretty much an apology tour.

• Like 1

The big difference between Rush during Caress and DT during the Asstonishing is that DT was a very well established band at that point and I don't believe the album nearly sunk the band like Caress did for Rush. DT was also able to quickly turn that negativity around when they went out on the Images and Words 25th anniversary tour the following year. That was pretty much an apology tour.

Very much so! It was supposed to be a limited run of shows, and turned into a quick solution for them to cover their losses with The Astonishing.

If Rush were going out it would have been on their own terms.

I think Dream Theater caved under the pressure with that tour. Only US Tour that I missed because I think they panicked. They played no new songs on that tour.

DT is established so an album like the Astonishing won't hurt them. they HAVE their Base. 2112 after COS was do or die for a then young Rush.

Mick

• Like 1

DT is established so an album like the Astonishing won't hurt them. they HAVE their Base. 2112 after COS was do or die for a then young Rush.

Mick

Exactly. They have their base which is why I found it odd that they would alter the focus of their touring plans.

• Like 1

The Astonishing is terrible.

This is an understatement.

Still, I give it a 10/10 ������

Thats the trouble with your grading system. :LOL:

I rate albums by how I feel on the day, it's very stupid and I don't do it anywhere else.

If I wrote a book and gave ratings based on what I truly think, objectively and subjectively, is great and what is just my personal taste...you'd not see anywhere near as many high scores.

But I just rate based on my own personal enjoyment. And I tend to only play what I love (and then I get silly, but it's just me being enthusiastic in the moment).

• Like 3

The Astonishing is terrible.

This is an understatement.

Still, I give it a 10/10 ������

Thats the trouble with your grading system. :LOL:

I rate albums by how I feel on the day, it's very stupid and I don't do it anywhere else.

If I wrote a book and gave ratings based on what I truly think, objectively and subjectively, is great and what is just my personal taste...you'd not see anywhere near as many high scores.

But I just rate based on my own personal enjoyment. And I tend to only play what I love (and then I get silly, but it's just me being enthusiastic in the moment).

I tend to just skip the rating part and move on to the enjoyment phase.

• Like 1