Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

Queen Theater...check out their version of Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist / Lilly of the Valley. It's better than the original!

Noooo. Sorry nooo. They also did Death on Two Legs. They do them well but def not as good as Queen.

This. Though the attention to detail in those DT covers is impressive.

John Petrucci wrote this on his Facebook page yesterday:

Hope everyone's summer has been awesome! Had a great time on DT's Euro festival run and we continue to work real hard on the new album. Couldn't be happier with the way it's coming out! Will have news to share very soon. Got some really cool announcements coming in the next couple of months as well. Lots of things in development. Enjoy the rest of the summer!

• Like 1

I've heard a few albums by them over the years. I'd say maybe 1/3 of their output or so. I honestly do not like Falling into Infinity much but I actually do like Train of thought(even though I'm more of a prog head than a metal head). I lost track of them after ToT though. I seriously need to check them out again. I saw some live stuff from one of their recent tours(possibly their first post Portnoy tour)on tv and actually liked it quite a bit.

From DT's Facebook page

DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE MOMENTOUS 2016 EUROPEAN TOUR

DEBUTING NEW ALBUM LIVE IN ITS ENTIRETY

DATES BEGIN FEBRUARY 18TH AT LONDON’S PALLADIUM

NEW ALBUM SET TO ARRIVE EARLY 2016

Roadrunner Records’ group Dream Theater has announced new tour dates for a momentous European headline run which is set to kickoff February 18th at the Palladium in London, England. The winter run will see the prog-titans delivering a one-of-a-kind set in which they will be debuting their forthcoming album live in its entirety. The unique tour is set to make stops at prestigious theaters around Europe including Amsterdam’s Carre Theater, Oslo’s Konserthus, Stockholm’s Cirkus, Paris’ Palais des Congres and Milan’s Teatro Degli Arcimboldi with additional dates to be announced (see attached itinerary). Presale tickets for select dates will be available on Wednesday, November 4th with general onsale for all dates beginning on Friday, November 6th. For up-to-the-minute news and ticket information, please visit http://www.dreamtheater.net/tour.

The European tour comes in anticipation of Dream Theater’s forthcoming album which is expected to arrive in early 2016. The new material will follow 2013’s worldwide smash album “DREAM THEATER,” which earned a second Grammy nomination for the band, topping Billboard’s “Hard Rock Albums” while simultaneously entering at #7 on the Billboard 200. The extraordinary chart position marked the group’s third consecutive top 10 debut, and also saw "DREAM THEATER" making top 5 chart debuts in Japan, Germany, Italy, Canada, Argentina, Switzerland, Holland, and Finland, as well as top 10 debuts in Denmark, Austria, and Norway, with career high debuts in the United Kingdom and Australia. Rolling Stone touted the legendary collection as “…the birth of a new era in the band’s career.”

DREAM THEATER

EUROPEAN TOUR 2016

February 18th – March 18th

ADDITIONAL DATES TO BE ANNOUNCED

FEBRUARY

18 London, England Palladium

22 Amsterdam, Holland Carre Theater

28 Oslo, Norway Konserthus

MARCH

2 Stockholm, Sweden Cirkus

5 Paris, France Palais des Congres

6 Paris, France Palais des Congres

18 Milan, Italy Teatro Degli Arcimboldi

• Like 1

Do I smell a concept album?

12096535_10153060466032181_2209725691963219781_n.jpg?oh=99e5ecaf6707b17764657b82004ef3cb&oe=568533CA

...or their own RPG?

And you guys think that GHOST is pure CHEESE?

Cheese And Rice man! Give me a break!

This band has totally lost it.

Not even old Bluebeard can save them now.

The key"bored" player in Dream Theater has seriously ruined it all. Pure EGO mixed with overplaying on the ebony and ivory.

Michael Jordan "Rude"ess is a joke.

• Like 1

12096535_10153060466032181_2209725691963219781_n.jpg?oh=99e5ecaf6707b17764657b82004ef3cb&oe=568533CA

...or their own RPG?

The key"bored" player in Dream Theater has seriously ruined it all. Pure EGO mixed with overplaying on the ebony and ivory.

then don't buy the freakin' album and stop whining.

Mick

• Like 3

...or their own RPG?

then don't buy the freakin' album and stop whining.

Mick

Agreed!

• Like 2

Loved the last 2 records with Mike Mangini.

Upset they stiffed Florida on the last tour though.....boooooo.

Hope to be able to take my son to see them in 2016. He loves them.

Looking forward to the new album big time.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

i honestly love Mangini way more then Portnoy. and thought the Last to Records were among their best.

Mick

• Like 1

Same here, man. My daughter loves them too. Hopefully if they tour some miracle will make it an all ages show haha.

• Like 2

I have to say it's a bold move to play a new album in its entirety...even more so before it's even released!

Agreed.

At least they play their new stuff though. A lot of bands who have been around as long as them rely on the old stuff live and don't bother with much new material. Which makes you wonder why some of them even come out with new stuff? At least play half the album live to justify the release.

I was thinking that about Judas Priest the other day. They came out with a great top to bottom 13 song album last year and they only play three or four songs off it? What a waste, why bother recording so much new material if you're not gonna showcase it more?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3

12208521_10153075447457181_4754160199656892954_n.png?oh=e6a572550a4962ebe16f709309871894&oe=56C2A947
And so it begins…our new album is entitled The Astonishing, and we cannot wait to share it with you early next year! In the meantime, check for new tour dates on our webpage www.dreamtheater.net/tour/

Edited by Union 5-3992
  • Like 4

Anyone else recently receive an e-mail about this cryptic concept they convinced me to sign up for? I,m starting to regret my decision to join the Great Northern Empire, seeing a lot of 2112 parallels in the e-mail and I know which side is better based on that.

I received it, but neglected it. What is it about?

It's appears to be a fictional message from the fictional empire ruling over the fictional North America (oh wait, that one's not fictional) in the fictional future, advising all citizens of said empire not to join with rebellious forces or to be enticed by any of their sonic pleasures, but rather to keep working for the empire so that the empire will work for them. Like I said, 2112 parallels, starting to wish I'd picked the rebellion.

Just found out this news and for some odd reason it got me so excited I will just post my thoughts:

Not a big DT fan. But this looks OTT barmy.

I want the crazy side! I need crazy!

It got me so excited I had to share.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1