Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

I know it seems like a gush over him........but i get more and more impressed with Mangini in this band. Everytime i see him. He has gelled in this band so nicely. and......dude can play. I even like him better then Portnoy on the older songs. He's the better fit. Sorry portnoy fans.

Mick

• Like 1

I know it seems like a gush over him........but i get more and more impressed with Mangini in this band. Everytime i see him. He has gelled in this band so nicely. and......dude can play. I even like him better then Portnoy on the older songs. He's the better fit. Sorry portnoy fans.

Mick

I agree with you. I also prefer Mangini before Portnoy and the reasons why are as follows:

*Mangini is a better drummer

*Mangini is a team player

Edited by Hemispheres4Echo
  • Like 1

And here we have a German band using "theater"

http://www.metal-archives.com/images/3/1/5/1/3151.jpg

One would say this entire discussion is petty and pointless... They'd be right.

English being a foreign language, maybe they saw the choice and decided to choose by the flip of a coin!

Lol never thought I'd ever see Edguy mentioned on this forum.

I find a whole DT album hard work.

But my goodness they are great!

• Like 1

Mick

I agree with you. I also prefer Mangini before Portnoy and the reasons why are as follows:

*Mangini is a better drummer

*Mangini is a team player

Mangini in interviews also seems more down to earth and likeable.

Mick

• Like 1

Along with Rush, I also recently got back into DT this year. What's old is entirely new again.

As for the "who's greater--Mangini or Portnoy?" debate, I tend to steer clear of it. I appreciate what MM has brought to the table, and I own a bunch of extraneous stuff (Flying Colors, Neal Morse, Transatlantic) MP has participated in. To me, it's asking, "Which of your brothers do you love more?" To which I invariably reply, "Yes." :D

• Like 1

I'm so looking forward to a new DT recored. Cause their last self titled was one of their all time best......i truly believe that.

Mick

Hopefully the new album should be out in the autumn/fall.

Should be another classic album from DT!

• Like 1

We should have new album info within the next few months, I would think. Every two years without fail they give us something new. You have to give them a ton of credit for doing that. When a band has been around as long as they have, they don't always release new material so consistently. I'm surprised they don't take a little more time off between releases at this point in their career. They have tremendous work ethic to have kept this pace up for over 25 years now.
  • Like 4

I know next to nothing about this band. What "first song" do you recommend?

Metropolis

I'm more of a "prog" head...so things like that and A Change of Seasons are among my favorite things....

As far as I'm concerned...my favorite album of theirs is Live at the Marquee...It has all you need to know....

• Like 3

"Pull Me Under"

That's the song that made me (and many others) a fan of theirs back when it came out in 1992. It's from the album Images & Words. That and Awake should be the first two albums you listen to. If those two albums don't hook you then don't bother going any farther than that.

• Like 4

As great as Metropolis Pt 2 is, I would never recommend that as the first album for a newbie. I think that album is too much to handle for a first time listener of the band.

Well DT ARE too much, lol. toss em in. if they"swim" with this album. they'll be fine.

Mick

Metropolis

I'm more of a "prog" head...so things like that and A Change of Seasons are among my favorite things....

As far as I'm concerned...my favorite album of theirs is Live at the Marquee...It has all you need to know....

i&w live in tokyo is the best thing they ever did! killer concert vid. if only it had metropolis and learning to live

• Like 1