Official Dream Theater Thread

Tick

How did you approach the songwriting and creative process for your solo work, and how was it different from how things come together in DT?

Does this record reflect what you listen to as an individual, your influences? Or is this more about exploring new territory? Or C both of the above?

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 7:48 PM, Rod in Toronto said:

The interview to promote his solo album, which is being kept under lock and key for a while. I received a promo copy today, and it's...different from what you would expect. NOTHING to do with Dream Theater. 

Good. I will no doubt enjoy it. I'd be disappointed if it did sound like Dream Theater.

• Like 1

I’ve seen Dream Theater a couple of times in very different venues, and they’ve always sounded great.  One night I brought my wife and her friend to a concert, and I think they doubled the number of women in the audience.  They only lasted about 30 minutes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/4/2023 at 8:21 PM, NoahLutz said:

... One night I brought my wife and her friend to a concert, and I think they doubled the number of women in the audience.  They only lasted about 30 minutes!

There is no news here.  lol

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

Honestly don't know why. They gotta be close to hanging it up at least with James struggling live. Their last couple studio albums were amazingly good.

this.  i think it makes zero sense otherwise to do this.

if they're NOT hanging it up.  i can't see this lasting.

Mick

• Like 1

The last two DT albums felt like a return to their glory days, not in sound, but in quality.

Portnoy...I've disliked all his world outside DT and his last decade with the band has some of the worst music the band ever did.

Just feel this is a major step back.

• Like 3

I wonder if Dreamsonic tanked financially and this is their attempt to salvage.

That's a really cynical take, but I'm just confused why they'd suddenly move on from Mangini after a string of hugely successful albums at the twilight of their career (James at least).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Analog Cub said:

Holy shit

Mike Portnoy is back in the band.

Hell yes!

Dream Theater hasn't been the same since he left, and honestly I've sort of lost touch with them as a result. Meanwhile, MP has been on fire with Flying Colors and his other projects.

For the first time since their self titled album, I'm actually pumped to hear what they come up with next!

5 minutes ago, The Analog Cub said:

I wonder if Dreamsonic tanked financially and this is their attempt to salvage.

That's a really cynical take, but I'm just confused why they'd suddenly move on from Mangini after a string of hugely successful albums at the twilight of their career (James at least).

i was saying this to Segue.  i know him and james have been photo'd together recenty but still there was friction there and portnoy lobbied to get him out at one time.

This stinks......i don;t care what MP fan hears me.  this sucks.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, KenJennings said:

Hell yes!

Dream Theater hasn't been the same since he left, and honestly I've sort of lost touch with them as a result. Meanwhile, MP has been on fire with Flying Colors and his other projects.

For the first time since their self titled album, I'm actually pumped to hear what they come up with next!

Flying Colors' second album I like a lot, they can be a little "preachy" for me musically. Like uplifting to a point where it's a little much.

Some absolute fire in Second Nature though 

Edited by The Analog Cub
  • Like 1

I wonder if they're getting ready to call it quits and want one last album and tour with Portnoy? James voice probably isn't going to hold up for too much longer live and the older the rest of the band gets, the harder it must be to keep playing their kind of songs while on tour. I'm interested to hear what they come up with but they were doing really well with the album quality (besides the ASStonshing) with Mangini.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J2112YYZ said:

I wonder if they're getting ready to call it quits and want one last album and tour with Portnoy? James voice probably isn't going to hold up for too much longer live and the older the rest of the band gets, the harder it must be to keep playing their kind of songs while on tour. I'm interested to hear what they come up with but they were doing really well with the album quality (besides the ASStonshing) with Mangini.

it'll be Probably be systematic Silver linings with mike growling, lol

If i sound a bit bitter and mad......how'd ya know???

lol.

nah i'm not mad it's just a band but it is a what da fukk move.

still makes no sense outside retirement.

Mick

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

i was saying this to Segue.  i know him and james have been photo'd together recenty but still there was friction there and portnoy lobbied to get him out at one time.

This stinks......i don;t care what MP fan hears me.  this sucks.

Mick

As I understand it Portnoy at one point was keeping score on JL's performances as singer, and was giving him shit if he didn't 'do enough' during gigs. 

I found it telling that it was JL who got to tell Mangini, on the phone, that he was the band's choice.  He looked pretty satisfied saying it, IMO.

I'm hoping that bullshit is over with.  JL does a fine job, also IMO. No one deserves that kind of crap, in any role. 

Edited by grep
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, grep said:

As I understand it Portnoy at one point was keeping score on JL's performances as singer, and was giving him shit if he didn't 'do enough' during gigs. 

I found it telling that it was JL who got to tell Mangini, on the phone, that he was the band's choice.  He looked pretty satisfied saying it, IMO. 

yea that's why this is a bit surreal.  I've been shiting on portnoy it's just whole situation based on DT history is random, lol.

Mick

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bluefox4000 said:

yea that's why this is a bit surreal.  I've been shiting on portnoy it's just whole situation based on DT history is random, lol.

Mick

Same here.  I even got banned from his FB page AND his website way back then for being vocal about his mistreatment of James. 

Fantastic drummer and I think he'll bring back that old school DT vibe.  But yeah, he needs to shave down those rough edges. 

• Like 1

This is Dream Theater announcing their retirement without Dream Theater announcing their retirement. Was a lot more shocked  a few days ago than I was in 2010. Don't much care about this one way or the other. Whatever works.

I was surprised when Charlie got fired, but understood after hearing him live. I was gutted when Kevin Moore left, but understood after hearing Chroma Key. I was over the moon when Derek got dumped and Jordan joined the band. Mike Mangini was the right drummer for the band in 2010 even though I'd have preferred Marco.

I'm hoping for something ground breaking but I probably shouldn't be. I doubt there's going to be a paradigm shift at this point. Portnoy probably adds another $50 to my next Dream Theater ticket.