Who had the greatest 7 year period in rock history?

4 minutes ago, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Was it Rush?

Has to be the Beatles, 63-70.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, treeduck said:

Is this a "A vs B" question? If so who are RUSH being compared to? 

No, it’s open ended. I just used them as an example.

• Like 1

Rush had some good runs, there are a few different 7 years, depending on how you like to break it up??  

I'm maybe tending to agree with LABT on the Beatles, or thinking of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin I to Physical Graffiti are all winners although my favorites are the first 3, personally.

Deep Purple, 70-74 and a little beyond with In Rock through Burn ??

Stones, 69-74;  Aftermath through Goats Head Soup?

We were lucky to have so many to pick from!  

• Like 5

Just now, blueschica said:

Rush had some good runs, there are a few different 7 years, depending on how you like to break it up??  

I'm maybe tending to agree with LABT on the Beatles, or thinking of Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin I to Physical Graffiti are all winners although my favorites are the first 3, personally.

Deep Purple, 70-74 and a little beyond with In Rock through Burn ??

Stones, 69-74;  Aftermath through Goats Head Soup?

We were lucky to have so many to pick from!  

I know you prefer Showaddywaddy's run most of all:

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, treeduck said:

I know you prefer Showaddywaddy's run most of all:

I like the saxophone but he's leaning a little too much on the Freddie Mercury look!  I've never heard of him but not sure I missed much!  :laugh: :laugh:

• Haha 1

Elton John had an incredible run from 1970-1976. He released 10 albums, two of them a double albums. Just hit after hit after hit after hit after hit. Blue Moves may represent a dip in quality, but it's still a solid record.

• Like 5

I think Stevie Wonder has to be in the running.  From '69 to '76, he made 10 albums, from My Cherie Amour to Songs In The Key Of Life.  The run from Music Of My Mind to Songs In The Key is THE best 5 albums in a row anyone has ever made (in my opinion).

• Like 4

The Beatles.

But who had the second best seven years is indeed a fun question!  My first instinct was to say Led Zeppelin, but when I thought about 69-76, that would have to include the dip of Presence (great album, but less so than its predecessors). Rush from 78-85 would be my second thought, but I know 80s Rush has its detractors (poor misguided souls).

"rock history" is a pretty grand canvas, so I think I'm back to Led Zeppelin, I through Presence.

Honorable mention for Metallica's 84-91, Ride through Black. From popularizing thrash to conquering the pop metal, pretty big.

• Like 5

To me my fav is was and always will be Elton john.  NO CONTEST..

that run from Elton John to Captain Fantastic BBlue moves is a dip but still good IMO.....super human baby.

it's no wonder the end of the 70's he burned out a bit.

The beatles obviously.

Queen.  That whole 1973-78 period. Even the game is classic in it's own way.

Pink Floyd.  like 71-83.  yes i love The Final cut......get over it, lol

I wanna even someone like dire Straits but they do have that one album in like 93 that breaks the flow a bit.....eh i'm still saying em, lol

i'll be back with more.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 6

Iron Maiden 1980-88

Terrific run.  True not the biggest powerslave fan but it had classics on it so i forgive it.

Tom Waits-1973-1999

Yes you can call me a blind worshipper but he is my fav solo artist for a reason and this ENTIRE run is why.  i may tweak my statement about elton now.  this ties for my fav run of albums.

This man is my idol. Technically cheated here.......oops, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Union 5-3992 said:

Billy Joel was no slouch from 1973-1982. 

For sure.  I love everything from Piano Man to Nylon Curtain.

he just kept improving and NC was the peak. he never made a bad record to me even though there was a drop off post NC.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

ABBA- 1974-81 is PHENOMENAL 

• Like 2

Easy - The Beatles.  Not a huge fan of them anymore (grew up a big fan) but hard to vote against them

Others have mentioned the contenders The Beatles would surpass but I would also have to ask, what about The Who?  Nobody mentioned them yet.  Certainly they deserve to be ranked as contenders as well for their run in the 60's and early 70's.

• Like 5

54 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

Easy - The Beatles.  Not a huge fan of them anymore (grew up a big fan) but hard to vote against them

Others have mentioned the contenders The Beatles would surpass but I would also have to ask, what about The Who?  Nobody mentioned them yet.  Certainly they deserve to be ranked as contenders as well for their run in the 60's and early 70's.

The Who for sure - '68 to '74.  Tommy, Live At Leeds, Who's Next and Quadrophenia.  Not as prolific as some (although if you include all of Townshend's demos you can see how busy he was at least), but  those 4 records are total masterpieces...and their live shows in that time were on fire, too.

• Like 2